Enslavers Special Edition

Post Reply
User avatar

chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:09 am

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by chris » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Andrea Rosa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm

I have some doubts about an actual rejuvenation, however it would be great if there were more custom campaigns coming soon (possibly new projects that are backwards compatible with the original game, and not only for Remastered).

When I returned there was no one here aside from razorclaw X and the site was dead. Now the site is back and we've got three developers posting here.

Andrea Rosa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm
That's a shame, I've seen some previews on YouTube and it looked extremely interesting, though a bit unusual for my taste.
And yet no one ever bothered to praise him or show interest in the campaign. It really sucks to know that I probably could have kept this project alive if I returned earlier.

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:55 am

@Andrea Rosa:
Oh yeah, I can understand that very well. :)
And of course I have noticed your patterns in all your projects. Personally, I like that kind of consistency very much. ;)
- In-game dialogues (however, if there are multiple dialogues in succession, only the first message uses the sound effect, the subsequent replies are usually mute)
Though I respect your opinion regarding all things ComBeep.wav, but this mute would be perfect for ComBeep1.wav or especially Transmission.wav :plz:
Don't get me wrong, I mean, sometimes it feels like you've just forgotten to use a wave file if no sound is playing.

/edit:
Ah, and by the way: The Hydralisks in mission 2... Can you explain why they should use this faraway location for their patrol orders? It seems to be working, but for my part, I wouldn't dare to do that in any of my projects.

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:40 am

Eredalis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:55 am
Ah, and by the way: The Hydralisks in mission 2... Can you explain why they should use this faraway location for their patrol orders? It seems to be working, but for my part, I wouldn't dare to do that in any of my projects.

I don't get it... I guess you are talking about the re-spawning Hydralisks protecting the Cerebrate, but what do you mean by "faraway location"? Can you explain it better? Also, what doesn't convince you about the use of the patrol order in that circumstance?
My only fear is to run out of beer

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 am

Yes, exactly. I was talking about the Hydralisks (Hunter Killers)
You've used the location "Floating02" for their patrol order and destination point, but this location in the right lower corner is so "far away". I don't know, but I think MY concerns were no ground unit can reach that location and such a step could immediately create a blind bug. (blind bug = Not really a bug, but the AI is forced to show strange behaviours because of that)

According to my humble experience I would look for another solution to stay safe. The patrol order also seems to have little effect on the Hunter Killers, because they remain at the Cerebrate, so why use the patrol order anyway?
Last edited by Eredalis on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:43 am

Eredalis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 am
You've used the location "Floating02" for their patrol order and destination point, but this location in the right lower corner is so "far away". I don't know, but I think MY concerns were no unit can reach that location and such a step could immediately create a blind bug. (blind bug = Not really a bug, but the AI is forced to show strange behaviours because of that)

The location "Floating02" is set in the right lower corner only by default. When a group of units (at least 2) comes close to the Cerebrate, that location is automatically and continually centered on any unit found in that spot. So, no matter if you approach the Cerebrate from north, south, east or west, the Hydralisks/Hunter Killers will target your units via the patrol order.

Eredalis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 am
The patrol order also seems to have little effect on the Hunter Killers, because they remain at the Cerebrate, so why use the patrol order anyway?

Wait, why do you say that? They don't remain at the Cerebrate, they respond to the patrol order without any problem as far as I can tell (at least, this works fine in StarCraft, I don't know if there are any problems with the patrol order in StarCraft Remastered).
My only fear is to run out of beer

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:06 am

Then I have to play it again to check this out. I will report here later.

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:58 am

There's an easy way to check it without having to replay the whole mission: open the map in the editor and put some hero battlecruisers in your base, then put some more on the plateau located north of the Cerebrate (don't make them invincible). Save the map as "test". Run the map and input "black sheep wall". Now, try attacking the Cerebrate with your battlecruisers: first, try attacking it from the south, then restart the map and do the same from the north. While you do so, take a look at the Cerebrate and see how the Hydralisks behave.
My only fear is to run out of beer

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am

In mission 3b you have used Spider Mines instead of Scarabs for the Stasis Cells. :D
Just trivia, but is there a reason for this decision? :D

/edit:
Another trivia note! ;)
Defeat Trigger Message: "All workers have been killed."
Why not "All probes have been destroyed"?!

Just kidding, please don't take these notes too serious. :lol:

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 am

Eredalis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am
In mission 3b you have used Spider Mines instead of Scarabs for the Stasis Cells. :D
Just trivia, but is there a reason for this decision? :D

It's because Scarabs don't appear when created by triggers, and they can't even be found in StarEdit. This probably worked in the very early versions of StarCraft (pre 1.04 patch), but at some point they were discarded from StarEdit. They can still be found in the original Mission 3b, but they are just vestiges of the past, so I replaced them with Spider Mines which produce a similar effect.

Eredalis wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am

Defeat Trigger Message: "All workers have been killed."
Why not "All probes have been destroyed"?!

Just kidding, please don't take these notes too serious. :lol:

Oh, that's just because it's the same defeat message used in Mission 3A.
My only fear is to run out of beer

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 am

Spider Mines are the better choice. I remember to see the scarabs working back in the day. So I would agree to your theory...

Another shiny little thing:
Schezar said at the beginning of mission 4b the following: "Prepare to embrace the void."
I don't know, man. For my taste such kind of speech would be way more fitting for Protoss. Schezar would something say like this: "You will all go to hell!"

(Critique on high level) ;)

/edit:
Oh, this time some helpful advice: You can use for audio transmissions the operator "Substract". Then you just set up the value "0" and StarCraft will automatically calculate the length of the used audio file.
Last edited by Eredalis on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:09 am

Eredalis wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 am
Another shiny little thing:
Schezar said at the beginning of mission 4b the following: "Prepare to embrace the void."
I don't know, man. For my taste such kind of speech would be way more fitting for Protoss. Schezar would something say like this: "You will all go to hell!"

You are not completely wrong... Probably I've been exposed to nihilistic philosophies for too long LOL. On the other hand, my personal view of Schezar is that of a borderline bipolar personality with a distorted sense of self and unpredictable emotional reactions and mood swings, but I also think that he is an highly self-educated person who knows a whole lot about many subjects without having attended official courses. This fact, combined with his bipolarity and deceptive nature, causes him to express himself in ways that at times make him sound like a street person, other times like an academic (this is more evident in ToH, because in ESE he only gets three lines). The closest character that comes to mind for me is Lord Humungus from Mad Max 2.

Eredalis wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 am
You can use for audio transmissions the affix "Substract". Then you just set up the value "0" and StarCraft will automatically calculate the length of the used audio file.

I know, but in the case of my campaigns that function is useless because there is no voice acting.
My only fear is to run out of beer

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 am

Strong background thoughts. Perhaps you should write a biography about Schezar. Your approach to that topic sounds pretty crazy... ;)

(By the way, Schezar doesn't behave like you described him in Dark Venegeance.)

As for the voice acting... You say, there is no voice acting?! You've used in nearly every mission spoken audio files. :)

/edit
I couldn't help laughing about your failsafe trigger regarding mind control for the Torrasque in mission 4b. Well solved! :lol:
But this failsafe trigger should also be added to mission 4a. The player can gain control over all spawning Juggernauts.

User avatar

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am
Location: Cittiglio, Italy
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Andrea Rosa » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 am

Eredalis wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 am
I couldn't help laughing about your failsafe trigger regarding mind control for the Torrasque in mission 4b. Well solved! :lol:
But this failsafe trigger should also be added to mission 4a. The player can gain control over all spawning Juggernauts.

I don't see how this could happen, in Mission 4A you are playing as Terran and you don't have Dark Archons.
My only fear is to run out of beer


Paulie
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:59 am

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Paulie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:40 am

Alright! I just recently played through the original Enslavers and now doing Enslavers SE. It's a great job! I'm loving it. I've almost finished the second mission, I've found the difficulty level to be quite spicy! It's hard, which is fun and how I like it.

User avatar

Eredalis
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Enslavers Special Edition

Post by Eredalis » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 am

Ah, sorry! You are right. My bad. :-X

/edit
In mission 3b I noticed the upgrades in the Science Facility are researchable. But Maggie (and all other heroes in Starcraft) possess their upgrades by default.

The weapon and armor upgrades for vehicles are also enabled... Both cost 100.

Post Reply