About playing WoS on reforged

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

Kenas
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

About playing WoS on reforged

Post by Kenas »

Hi, recently I remembered this wonderful campaign I've played and wanted to give it a shot again.

Now I didn't know what had happened with warcraft 3 and how blizzard butchered it with reforged, but turns out when I reinstalled the game it was automatically 'updated' and without the custom campaign feature.

Upon searching I found out you could use a mod called quenching, and after some tinkering I've managed to load the first campaign...

It looked a bit off, with trees and certain doodads becoming completely invisible. Well, I thought I could just play it and ignore it as a minor inconvenience, but after playing the first mission for about half an hour the game suddenly crashed.

Is there any way for me to play the campaign, like somehow finding an older version of warcraft 3? It's a shame that I may not be able to play this masterpiece again..
Kenas

Re: About playing WoS on reforged

Post by Kenas »

Okay, did some tinkering on the quenching setting (mostly by turning off doodads feature, and reverted the game back to fullscreen mode. Did just finish book 1 mission 1 and 2-1, and so far the game hasn't crashed.

I hope that means I can play this nostalgic piece again.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't have any experience with the Quenching mod (I still don't own Reforged myself), but if you got it to work then that's great.

There are ways to get older versions of Warcraft 3, but that requires a bit of shenanigans.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
NovaLan
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by NovaLan »

With QM you can at least play through Book 1 to Book 5 as well as two extra campaigns. But since map transition function in Reforged doesn't work and somehow Hikaru's base model of Book 6 is missing in Reforged so you may not be able to play Book 6 with it. Also of note is that custom music and sound are in disorder in Reforged (the bug of Reforged itself, happens in every custom campaign), which greatly damages the game experience.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Caveat: I still don't have Reforged.

I tried looking into the missing Hikaru model in Book 6 and from my limited methodology it seems to still be there. The map transition point stands, although I did vaguely design the select screen so you didn't have to rely on it if you didn't want to.

I don't know why, but the idea that it was less than working even in Reforged kind of bothered me. I might actually have to get Reforged sometime (although I'd only pay in WoW to Blizzard balance for that since there's literally not a lot you can do with that)
-- Razorclaw X
NovaLan
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by NovaLan »

Good news, the newest 1.35 PTR finally adds the function of custom campaign, and hopefully WOS can be officially played in Reforged. Bad news for Chinese players is Blizzard will terminate the cooperation with Netease next month and we can't play Reforged soon.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Tested it a bit on the PTR. It's clearly not perfect (like exiting out of the Wanderer's Journal freezes the game) and the music is messed up.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I've generally ignored every patch for Reforged so seeing the game in such a sorry state is a bit of a shocker.

Other than the music being borked (which is admittedly pretty game-breaking in my mind) a lot of things seem to work like I remembered, except for the muscle memory problems (switched the hotkeys to Grid mode and I STILL keep hitting the old hotkeys)

I tried out some stuff in Book 6 and the first thing I did was try to fight Dalles with a default loadout Shizuka (which "normally" isn't possible unless you're like me and know how to unlock all the campaign buttons without editing the campaign) and I kept thinking that I might have made him do a little too much damage or something... or I really did balance it by having a stack of healing potions that I didn't have.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Since the patch was released I haven't had a lot of time to look at how custom campaigns are now. Well, suffice to say is they're mostly the same as on the PTR, including the chain crashing when going back to the menu.

One thing I did notice is the game saves its own copy of Campaigns.w3v in each campaign folder; the only way to keep things across all campaigns is to copy over the latest version to the next one. In this manner I managed to keep my save data from the old versions, but NOT the Journals or the Achievements, as those appear to have to be obtained again (I don't have a clear explanation for this one).

Other thing I noticed is I think I messed up the texture for Kanna's hair because her bangs are fine, but the rest of it is Shizuka's texture. I don't know how I didn't notice that.
-- Razorclaw X
NovaLan
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by NovaLan »

RazorclawX wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 pm One thing I did notice is the game saves its own copy of Campaigns.w3v in each campaign folder; the only way to keep things across all campaigns is to copy over the latest version to the next one. In this manner I managed to keep my save data from the old versions, but NOT the Journals or the Achievements, as those appear to have to be obtained again (I don't have a clear explanation for this one).
Actually there is a way, after finishing Book 1, just remove the file of Book 1 from the campaign folder and change the file name of Book 2 (and the following Books) into "SorceriaBook1" and the data would save, including Journals and Achievements and even can start a New Game Plus. The headache is you need to frequently remove the previous campaign files and will possibly get in a muddle...