Contest Monthly Updates Start: January 1st, 2012
Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

Linaze
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Post by Linaze »

"Winners understand that the total point value of their score must exceed 40 points to qualify for a prize pack, regardless of their place. (This rule is to encourage a well-rounded campaign, rather than abusing the scoring system.)"

While you can win with a worthless campaign, it will yield you no prize pack (I assume that applies to the other prizes as well, such as the hosting).
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

High_Zealot wrote:
Hercanic wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:The rules apply solely to the Blizzard products in regards to lore...

...If you are talking about lore of either StarCraft, Diablo, or WarCraft, then so long as major events are left unchanged, you are fine, these are detailed in the original post.
What about TIME TRAVEL??
This makes me wonder, if you were to have a major event changed in your project but later had the characters go back in time and cause the event to happen as it should have, would that be valid?
This is possible if you depict the occurance of the major event change (example: Duran sees a moment to overtake Kerrigan, kill her, and assumed leadership of the Zerg, beginning a rampant destruction of the Koprulu Sector, eventually reaching Earth, and massacring it. Zeratul, off tinkering about finds a worm hole, somehow adjusts it to move back in time, and prevents the moment of overtake from occuring. While plausible, one must think then why not have Zeratul kill Kerrgan herself, or both her and Duran if that opening existed? Why not go much farther back in time and kill Kerrigan's parents before giving birth to her? etc, etc, etc. You must take all that into account when time traveling, and it will affect your score. Logical character actions are key with time travel.)
D.U.P.A. wrote:Yes, but what I want to tell, would be following the exact events happened treated as very unoriginal and losing there points, because technically the creator wouldn't do something new and creative, but rather following something already archived and each person could just go to wikipedia or history sites to see the whole story?
You can always turn something unoriginal into something original with gameplay. You would not be docked points, if this is your question.

D.U.P.A. wrote:And some question about sorting all entries. If some entry doesn't end very good, it will still qualify in this contest (possibly win if being only entry)? And there will be the complete ladder, showing position of each entry, even those who don't qualify for prizes? For example if I'm second from last I'd like to know who is last. :p
Judges voluntarily release their scores, in the past I have not and only released the top three victors. Ricky (who will not be judging) has reviewed each campaign and posted reviews in the past. In all likelihood, the only announcement will be the winners to reduce the negative effect.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

IMHO time travel is a nasty can of worms. Not only it's a mess to get around it, but also it basically invites all kinds of questionings. It's like a big sign that says "please pick my story apart".
Lavarinth wrote: Judges voluntarily release their scores, in the past I have not and only released the top three victors. Ricky (who will not be judging) has reviewed each campaign and posted reviews in the past. In all likelihood, the only announcement will be the winners to reduce the negative effect.
So even if I'm not in the top three I still get to see my scores, right?
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

HelpMe wrote:IMHO time travel is a nasty can of worms. Not only it's a mess to get around it, but also it basically invites all kinds of questionings. It's like a big sign that says "please pick my story apart".
It doesn't have to be a nasty can of worms. As long as you make sure to explain things to your audience. "Explain" doesn't mean giving detailed descriptions of every possible situation.

Lavarinth raised the Kerrigan example. He said "why not go back and kill Kerrigan's parents before she was born". That's usually what everybody says when talking about time travel and bad people. I think a powerful mechanism would be a character with time travel abilities and sympathy. What if the time traveller felt that Kerrigan deserves a chance to live?

Time travel is a very cool subject to explore, I think. Because we're dealing with people and feelings. I think in most cases the best solution would be to not go back at all, to not change anything. But the journey towards that discovery could prove interesting.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

I wished one of the prizes was a Download Link of the MOD Tools featured in the panel at BC.

In any case, wish you guys good luck!

Well, speaking of time travel stories, that scenario I released is based on the subject. Basically, the weird planet is a huge xel'nagan mothership a few protoss and terran alliance captured in the future. There's a guy inside that ship that mans it.

He's a psionic that buffed his shit so he can replace the Xel'Naga driver ( Homeworld-esque.) using experimental shit arcturus has been developing to combat kerrigan.

Ever since, this mothership has been the target of interested parties and so at some point he uses the ship to time travel. Blackholes are good, so he drives through it. He is Marcus' son, the driver in the future.

In that future the Protoss who marcus met on the planet was there, and instead of following through, sent a crystal instead with all the memories he could store regarding the future. That is what lured his past self to the planet and causes him to act a little careful with Marcus.

Etc. etc.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:I wished one of the prizes was a Download Link of the MOD Tools featured in the panel at BC.
the prizes won't even be going out until August 2012 at the earliest so we may hopefully already have them by then anyway :)

(in b4 bluzzlard never deliver, Heart of the Swarm won't come out until 2069, and the modding tools will be conspicuously absent etc)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:MOD
What is MOD abbreviated for? Modern Overdosing Doorknobs? Morbidly Obese Ducks? Oh? It's short for "mods" or "modifications"? It shouldn't be all capitalized, then. You don't capitalize "Billy" as "BILL" or "retard" as "TARD" or "Blizzard" as "LARD" (except when Ropar).

This politically correct educational experience brought to you by Chipotle Refineries United.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

technically Download Link shouldn't be capitalised either but otoh the word "technically" in this sentence should be
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You're Australian, though. So you're all SO RANDOM XD like that.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

IskatuMesk wrote:
GnaReffotsirk wrote:MOD
What is MOD abbreviated for? Modern Overdosing Doorknobs? Morbidly Obese Ducks? Oh? It's short for "mods" or "modifications"? It shouldn't be all capitalized, then. You don't capitalize "Billy" as "BILL" or "retard" as "TARD" or "Blizzard" as "LARD" (except when Ropar).

This politically correct educational experience brought to you by Chipotle Refineries United.
Then what would you feel if I capitalizes your name?

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

At least you spelled it correctly. Most people can't even do that.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Why is there a random capital M in your name?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Technically it's two different words.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

MOD or M.O.D. for MOD tools up there means, My Overly Delayed tools. Okay? So I Thought This WOULD sheD a LiGHt on thE tiSsUe. Issue.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You make tools? O.o