Warcraft lore

UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Warcraft lore

Post by UntamedLoli »

Mesk and myself both hated the linearity forced on you with the quest revamps, I was also getting pretty sick of them haphazardly throwing pop cultures references everywhere rather than having something involved in the universe.

Every quest still boiled down to kill 10 boars and run back, then go slightly further back from where you came from to kill 10 slightly harder boars. It says tons about the terrible world design and how tiny it is when they have to recycle a single sub section upwards of 10 times for quests.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

RazorclawX wrote:I can't say that the Cataclysm questing scheme was a huge improvement. One of the things I enjoyed about the BC/Wrath method is you could skip a chain if you really wanted to.

In Cataclysm, you're practically forced upon a set progression even if you didn't want to do some of it. While it makes sense from a storyline progression the freedom the previous expansions offered is nonexistent. You are practically forced to do Deepholm, for instance.
Bleh, that's less good. There's a few quest chains I'm rather fond of skipping, and I can only see that as still being the case in a new expansion.

One thing I always enjoyed was being able to choose what zones I levelled in. Based on the Vasj'ir vs Mount Hyjal choice, I had assumed it would be the same in Cataclysm. Dang.
Hunter_Killers wrote:Mesk and myself both hated the linearity forced on you with the quest revamps, I was also getting pretty sick of them haphazardly throwing pop cultures references everywhere rather than having something involved in the universe.

Every quest still boiled down to kill 10 boars and run back, then go slightly further back from where you came from to kill 10 slightly harder boars. It says tons about the terrible world design and how tiny it is when they have to recycle a single sub section upwards of 10 times for quests.
Blizzard's always been big on pop culture references, especially since WC3 and up, so I can't say I'm too surprised by that. Is it really that out of control though? I heard about the CSI parody in Westfall, but I had the impression that one was quite well done.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

My preferred leveling path in the 80+ zones goes like this:

Vash'jir until the Seahorse
Hyjal until 82 or until at least Honored with Guardians of Hyjal
Deepholm 82-83
Uldum until Friendly with Ramkahen
Twilight Highlands at 84 and don't look back

At 80-81 do ONE run of Blackrock Caverns
At 82 do ONE run of Stonecore and ONE run of Vortex Pinnacle
At 84 do ONE run of Lost City of the Tol'vir

I ignore the rest of the Normals unless I'm somehow below 329 ILvl for some reason.

Uldum is a huge waste of time. Anything you could get there gets shit on by Twilight Highlands.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Thalraxal, the references are out of control. I don't even laugh at them anymore, it's more a nuisance that breaks the connection I'm having playing WoW, being "in Azeroth."

RCX, I assume you disliked Vash'jir?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

RazorclawX wrote:My preferred leveling path in the 80+ zones goes like this:

Vash'jir until the Seahorse
Hyjal until 82 or until at least Honored with Guardians of Hyjal
Deepholm 82-83
Uldum until Friendly with Ramkahen
Twilight Highlands at 84 and don't look back

At 80-81 do ONE run of Blackrock Caverns
At 82 do ONE run of Stonecore and ONE run of Vortex Pinnacle
At 84 do ONE run of Lost City of the Tol'vir

I ignore the rest of the Normals unless I'm somehow below 329 ILvl for some reason.

Uldum is a huge waste of time. Anything you could get there gets shit on by Twilight Highlands.
Dang. That's disappointing. Uldum was one of the zones I was looking forward to, I rather enjoyed the Titan plot and have been waiting to get in there ever since I first finished Ulduman.
Lavarinth wrote:Thalraxal, the references are out of control. I don't even laugh at them anymore, it's more a nuisance that breaks the connection I'm having playing WoW, being "in Azeroth."
Dang, that's what I was getting worried about. I don't mind the odd reference here and there, but oversaturation just ruins it.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Thalraxal wrote:Dang. That's disappointing. Uldum was one of the zones I was looking forward to, I rather enjoyed the Titan plot and have been waiting to get in there ever since I first finished Ulduman.
Uldum is one of the larger problems. It's an entire zone dedicated as a homage to Indiana Jones than anything actually related to the Titans beyond Uldums purpose. This is after all the mystery surrounding it's existance for years being a Titan Complex with a large door that has a hole in it, we a get a gigantic *faceplam*. Your own character is pretty much shown as the helpless sidekick in every cinematic (half of which never worked) nevermind the fact we've slain gods, the entire thing felt like a waste of time that just droned on.

Spoiler tags would also be a good thing.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Hunter_Killers wrote:
Thalraxal wrote:Dang. That's disappointing. Uldum was one of the zones I was looking forward to, I rather enjoyed the Titan plot and have been waiting to get in there ever since I first finished Ulduman.
Uldum is one of the larger problems. It's an entire zone dedicated as a homage to Indiana Jones than anything actually related to the Titans beyond Uldums purpose. This is after all the mystery surrounding it's existance for years being a Titan Complex with a large door that has a hole in it, we a get a gigantic *faceplam*. Your own character is pretty much shown as the helpless sidekick in every cinematic (half of which never worked) nevermind the fact we've slain gods, the entire thing felt like a waste of time that just droned on.

Yeah, when the turn one of the biggest mysteries in WoW into a giant Indiana Jones reference, you know that the pop culture references have gone too far. Dang. :(

Please tell me they at least had the decency not to reference the "hide in the refridgerator to escape the nuke" thing.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Thalraxal wrote: Please tell me they at least had the decency not to reference the "hide in the refridgerator to escape the nuke" thing.
That's actually the very first thing referenced.
Lavarinth wrote: RCX, I assume you disliked Vash'jir?
Waste of time. Between Hyjal and Vash'jir, I find Hyjal more tolerable. Not only that, Hyjal gives a significant chunk of rep for Guardians of Hyjal, which puts you ahead of the gearing curve since you can buy gear at Honored when you hit Lv. 83. Vash'jir is a complete cesspool and has barely any Earthen Ring rep gains in it; most of the Earthen Ring gains are made in Deepholm, and you get Honored with them in that zone easily.

In essence the order I listed is from a min maxxing perspective. Not only do I want to get to 85 efficiently, I want to also not be dead as a doorknob undergeared when I get there.

Hunter_Killers wrote: Uldum is one of the larger problems. It's an entire zone dedicated as a homage to Indiana Jones than anything actually related to the Titans beyond Uldums purpose. This is after all the mystery surrounding it's existance for years being a Titan Complex with a large door that has a hole in it, we a get a gigantic *faceplam*. Your own character is pretty much shown as the helpless sidekick in every cinematic (half of which never worked) nevermind the fact we've slain gods, the entire thing felt like a waste of time that just droned on.

If anything I was disappointed there was nothing in the zone suggesting a war with the Qiraji.

And I really don't think this is very spoiler-tag worthy.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

RazorclawX wrote:If anything I was disappointed there was nothing in the zone suggesting a war with the Qiraji.

Yeah the Qiraji essentially stopped existing after Silithus even though they spread EVERYWHERE, there was nothing stopping them from burrowing into Uldum.

What I meant by having spoiler tags was more in general they would good to have.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

RazorclawX wrote:
Thalraxal wrote: Please tell me they at least had the decency not to reference the "hide in the refridgerator to escape the nuke" thing.
That's actually the very first thing referenced.
I wish I could say I was surprised.
Hunter_Killers wrote:
RazorclawX wrote:If anything I was disappointed there was nothing in the zone suggesting a war with the Qiraji.

Yeah the Qiraji essentially stopped existing after Silithus even though they spread EVERYWHERE, there was nothing stopping them from burrowing into Uldum.
So wait, they did all that build up in lore regarding the Qiraji, the origins of Ahn'Qiraj as a former Titan complex they took over, and their corruption of Tol'vir into Obsidian Destroyers and they went nowhere with it in Uldum? That's rather disappointing.