SC2 BETA Editor findings

Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Re: SC2 Editor findings

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

IskatuMesk wrote:Also, remember when Blizzard said there'd be no arbitrary limit on how many types of tiles/textures you can have in a tileset? They lied, it's 8.
I raged about this all last night. Even a manual edit of the xml renders no effect.
No more humans, please.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

What the heck? I cannot get a periodic trigger to run more than 16 times a second. Oddly enough setting the period to .1 seconds makes it run 8 times a second, not 10 like it should.

The only way I found so far is to create a lot of elapsed time events, but creating an endless series of them will leak if they aren't removed automatically on execution. :P

The sliding-banelings physics map appears to have triggers that fire faster but he doesn't say anything about how it works.
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Xenon wrote: What the heck? I cannot get a periodic trigger to run more than 16 times a second. Oddly enough setting the period to .1 seconds makes it run 8 times a second, not 10 like it should.
Is that in game time, or real time?
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I tried both, same effect.

Edit: Periodic behavior effects appear to have the same limit. AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.
Last edited by Xenon on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Remember when I kept saying that we'd discover really stupid limits in sc2 as soon as we got the editor? Remember when the odd person would try to deny me that claim?

It's just like when I said that you'd be soloing Onyxia one day and people at SA scoffed at me.

Now look at you. Look at your hands balls-deep into a rhino of pain.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Someone found that using 0.0 waits makes it 1/32 seconds (not tested on Battle.net). A significant improvement, but still a stupid limit (especially because it doesn't help the behavior, createpersistent etc data period limit).
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I made a conceptual top-down shooter (obviously bare bones) and there's two things that became apparent-- one, I'm not entirely sure how to make two units explode on collision, and two, the workaround I developed (make the missile explode when it acquires a target) does a funny thing by not exploding until its shadow matches with the shadow of the target (that is, point of origin to point of origin). This isn't how it worked in Warcraft 3 at all-- in War3 once the models intersected they were considered in collision. Starcraft 2 is also taking the units Z axis into account when determining point of origin.

It's probably what makes hitting a colossus work right, but anything that isn't as tall it's going to look funny

P.S. the fact you can hide the entire normal UI is awesome. I may try to see if I can make an Ys clone after all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RazorclawX on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Hey that's pretty nifty RCX. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Alright RCX, time to fund you a better graphics card..
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Strangely enough, I found a second Viking model... Viking Arcade Model. Take a guess what this is for.

It's the same as the normal Viking, except it has two lights on its wings and no engine glow.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Okay.. Does anyone know how to raise or lower the water?

EDIT: Figured it out, under "Edit Water" however more in depth.. Water at various heights, I should say.
Last edited by Lavarinth on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Many copies of water.

It's pretty stupid the water isn't editable like the terrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lavarinth wrote: Okay.. Does anyone know how to raise or lower the water?

EDIT: Figured it out, under "Edit Water" however more in depth.. Water at various heights, I should say.
You need multiple copies of water (duplicating resets your changes to the duplicate btw, it's not an actual copy) for every height level.
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Really simple version of my zealot beat-em-up idea. Uses a sort of Jade Empire-esque combat system.
Special attacks are:
Fast - A bunch of attacks really fast
Normal - Charge (Couldn't figure out how to make the guy actually use charge so it just teleports instead.)
Strong - A really strong attack

Shamelessly stole the movement controls from the Perdition ghost-shooter map. Shift heals and tab changes targets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

tipereth wrote: Really simple version of my zealot beat-em-up idea. Uses a sort of Jade Empire-esque combat system.
Special attacks are:
Fast - A bunch of attacks really fast
Normal - Charge (Couldn't figure out how to make the guy actually use charge so it just teleports instead.)
Strong - A really strong attack

Shamelessly stole the movement controls from the Perdition ghost-shooter map. Shift heals and tab changes targets.
So I tried it for the heck of it. I am fully aware that it's far from being a perfect map but anyway :

-> A method of exiting the map would be nice.
-> Since you can easily die, you should add some function that you can restart and try again. If you feel very lazy, add this very map (pointing to map self) as the "next map" to load after a few seconds on death.
-> If possible, the camera should not be able to view "under the terrain" (usually by extreme going down with the mouse rather than extreme up)

Also, I would like to know who's the author of the Perdition ghost-shooter. Since I decided to make a small video about your map (still not compressed/upload), I would like to be also able to point out the credits about the movement controls when I post it.