Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by RazorclawX »

So today I revived an old project of mine and that was the (really) high definition model transplant.

In SD and older War3 versions after a certain threshold models simply didn't work with the game engine, but with Reforged I revived my old work, which worked in 3rd party editors already, and successfully ported it into the Reforged Beta. This means said project can be used as a Reforged variant model.

The model in question? Shizuka in a Santa Girl outfit, just in time for the holidays (the outfit in question is based on the CAW outfit in Samurai Warriors Chronicles, which was originally used on Wang Yuanji in Warriors Orochi 3, so this is a bit of a personal obsession of mine. Yes, I have used that on my Shizuka CAW character). Of course Kurumi is getting the same treatment, and both are currently going to appear in Book 6 with the Reforged update.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

It's been years since I played the WoS series, but it's definitely 1 of the highlights of my childhood. With reforged coming out soon I can't wait to play the entire series with shiny new graphics!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Reforged is releasing this week. I am not 100% sure everything I did during the Beta will carry over, but I think I may post what I have after I give everything a cursory glance once everything hits Live.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Big surprise, the game released without the ability to play Custom Campaigns.
-- Razorclaw X
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Seems a few people are complaining about this. Here's hoping.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

This whole thing is a debacle. So my choice is: give up on the ability to play WoS again, or give up on the ability to play on Satyr Saturday?

How do I go about making a functioning copy of my non-Reforged install? If I copy the Warcraft III folder in Program Files it just refuses to launch, saying there are files missing.

Lav: I think an announcement is in order, at the very least to warn about this.

Edit: This whole thing is bringing back up the fears I've had for a long time.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't know what issue you're having, but I have a functional 1.26 Warcraft 3 in a separate folder from the Live version. I may or may not have had to register some dlls (although I think that was for actual community tools and not the game itself).

The sad irony of the post you linked is my philosophy was broken by Blizzard itself which I didn't see coming.
-- Razorclaw X
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I downloaded the legacy offline installers Blizzard used to distribute (2012-2017) that someone posted on hiveworkshop, but I'll hold off on trying to install in a separate directory until I've ensured my maps and campaigns files are backed up, I don't know what would happen with the stuff in Documents.

I don't know if the 1.28 and later online installers even work at this point. grumble grumble "software as a service"
Sinistral
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Sinistral »

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing this whole situation with Reforged. Even if they would add the custom campaign later on, they changed the EULA for custom maps, specifically that you cannot use any copyrighted material. As far as I remember there are songs from the Ys series in the campaign (which are amazing!). I don't know if this would be a problem or not, given that I'm not very familiar with the "legal terms".

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcr ... kers/14508

My plan is also to download a legacy offline version and download all the WoS campaigns (they are a masterpiece)
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Nihon Falcom's music license is fairly loose (the biggest things is you can't transfer ownership or monetize them; they're okay with you spreading them around), but it is not allowed for what Blizzard wants to do with it and that will trump what Blizzard wants.
-- Razorclaw X
SilverGauntlet
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by SilverGauntlet »

I do not know what I feel about this but disappointed. They killed multiple custom maps due to inclusion of copyrighted characters, and I do not know if certain WoS characters will share the same fate.
Fraxinus
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Fraxinus »

I can understand your disappointment. I've known that feeling for quite a long time….

All I can say is, several years ago I started to translate the entire WoS into the Czech language. After about one year of work (with many pauses due to real life) all 6 books were all but finished and I just planned to beta test it thoroughly by myself, to make the dialogues smoother, cleaner and properly timed. This meant quite a lot of additional work.

Just soon after I started the beta test, patch 1.28 came and with it the Czech language port was decommissioned by Blizzard entirely without any compensation and newer patches did not work on it ever since. They have NEVER BOTHERED to inform the customers about this sudden turn of events both before the release and after. They never sent any apology for this and never responded on any of the complaints on any official blizzard forums. The other language ports met the same fate like for example Hungarian.

For me, it meant the end of the project. Using different language version of Warcraft III was out of option because these do not support the extra letters needed for my language plus the Czech dub would be terribly missing too. So back then I felt the same as you all now, gentlemen.

If the terms around Warcraft III Reforged stayed the way they are now, I would rather suggest not to update WoS anymore. Not with Blizzard games as I do not feel I can trust them after this lesson of life which cost me 30 EUR. WoS was created a long time before Reforged was launched, under different sets of rules in EULA in times no one ever dreamed about this nightmare. I would wait some time, how (and if) things will change in the future.
SomaCruz20

Post by SomaCruz20 »

I have 1.26, 1.27, 1.28.5 and 1.30 version. Glad I always can play it trough virtual lan networks or different servers. Too bad they ruined classic client. I actually expected that to make crossplay they will use single client, only adding both graphic too it, but I never expected it to remove custom campaigns and offline map game. I like that reforge supports more than 60 fps, but this is only what I like here.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I'm still going to post what I was working on. I was just hoping that I could have given it a look on the Reforged level at the very least (to be honest, though, I never actually bought Reforged; I didn't see a need to. I can at least still see what it looks like in the Editor).

I think I mentioned this several posts ago, but the biggest visual change is probably to the Murlocs. In Books 1 and 2 they're the old RoC versions, but every one after that they're the spiky TFT versions because they have swim animations and the RoC versions don't. Did this change to get the Reforged Murlocs to work correctly during the beta, but since Live messed up the import order it's going to look weird anyway

Currently Reforged treats models like this: HD > Imported > SD when it should be Imported > HD > SD (the crazy thing is Textures are behaving correctly so all of my Terrain mods work for the most part). So even if Custom Campaigns were playable right now everyone would be using a Reforged model regardless of what they were originally because Blizzard is incompetent.
-- Razorclaw X
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

If I understand correctly, running Reforged deletes all your profile data and saved games. If that's correct, won't it ruin your attempts to play WoS even if it's in a separate install, so long as your older install uses the Documents folder for saved games?

Edit: I'm most worried about the online DRM they crammed in there, making the entire game dependent on Blizzard's servers to launch. If the DRM isn't cracked or removed at some point, this version of the game will eventually be unusable when Blizzard's servers ultimately shut down. I posted a rant on Hiveworkshop and battle.net forums but nobody seems to care.

I'm also worried about what that would mean for any version of WoS dependent on that version of the game.