Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by RazorclawX »

Because I moved the class changing to the Intro of Book 1 you currently have to run that again for the items to transfer correctly.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
AngstyOwl
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by AngstyOwl »

I hate being critical of a campaign that brought me lots of fun in the past but the new models feel a bit of a step back compared to the older ones. Like, Hikaru's mouth is all weird and the quality in general seems a bit sub par, don't know if any further improvement is planned?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I know people have that preference and that's essentially what the 3rd edition is for now, although I have no real plans to improve that further.

I have released a bugfix on that version earlier this year, but it's obviously still bugged in some ways. However, since it is the latest version of the 'original' version of the campaign that works on modern War3 I also treat 4th Ed as a reason to change things as I see fit.
-- Razorclaw X
AngstyOwl

Post by AngstyOwl »

No worries. :)

One more question though, could it be that the difficulty for version 3 is a bit wonky though? At least it seems to be a lot harder than I remember, Mission 1 went over fine, 2a was rough, and 2b is been a real struggle just on normal.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

It's quite possible that it is even though nothing actually changed.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

No actual updates to the campaign this time, but I recently discovered a much simpler way to convert WoW models... so this is what I've been working on in the meantime.

This little guy is something I'd been looking for a long time and it seems like nobody ever bothered to rip it... so I did it myself. It needs a bit more work done to it (like actually giving it the requisite Lumber/Gold animations like any other Worker unit), but this is what I'm thinking about replacing the Nerubian Spiderlings with.

I've already spent a good chunk of time fixing up the Scorpid (both the Vanilla and the Cata versions) for future use as well; merging them with the Arachnathid animations took a lot of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Razorclaw X
fosztogato
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by fosztogato »

AngstyOwl wrote:No worries. :)

One more question though, could it be that the difficulty for version 3 is a bit wonky though? At least it seems to be a lot harder than I remember, Mission 1 went over fine, 2a was rough, and 2b is been a real struggle just on normal.
Dunno I felt the first 2 campaigns on hard lot easier than before.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

News for 12/17/18

Wanderers of Sorceria 4th Edition updated with the following changes:

* General: Model updates for Cinder (God of Fire), Zule (he has HAIR! no more male pattern baldness), Gunther, Kasumi, Abolisher, Yue Fang, Miyuki, Sypha (human form), Kazgaroth, Ebon, Bannon, Spiderling, Nerubian Stinger, Mastyrial Warmage, Mastyrial Guardian, Queen Corona, Spinorak, Velcana, Chitinstrike, and other misc Nerubian Heroes ('Warriors', 'Rogues', and 'Casters'). Fixed Scaldar's model. Fixed Nargul's model.
* General: Fixed Nekurow's movement speed animations. Added support for various Heroes to accomodate Walk Fast animations. Abolisher's Necromorphosis has a slightly reduced cooldown and costs no mana and Raise Dead now costs only 25 mana.
* General: Added Gainaxing effect to the following front-heavy girls: Kasumi, Zava, Shyron, Sorana, Kotetsu, older Kurumi.
* Book 1, General: Book 1's Campaign Menu screen features Hikaru instead of a generic footman. Upres the texture for Hikaru's default sword so it doesn't look like a pixelated piece of crap (as much).
* Book 1, Book 2: Spinorak's Hero abilities are more story-appropriate than just straight Dreadlord abilities. Thunder Lizard creeps replaced by Jormungar.
* Book 1, Chapter 2, Epilogue: The Crypt Fiend NPCs in Coron Nerub are now living Nerubians matching their Book 2 appearance. Crypt Fiends are explicitly a product of the Army of the Dead-raised undead.
* Book 1, Chapter 2: The side quest "The Plague" is rewritten assuming that the malady is in fact a curse and not a disease.
* Book 1, Chapter 4: Mastyrial Warmages automatically start with all spells available.
* Book 1, Chapter 5: The Forge is unlocked along with the associated units when completing Ayame's side quest.
* Book 2, Chapter 2: Nerubian Webspinners are correctly available to train.
* Book 2, Chapter 4: Pre-placed Spitting Spiders replaced with Webspinners which supplanted them on the tech tree.
* Book 2, Chapter 7: Mizuki now has abilities to directly summon beasts instead of running to COPs. Replaced the Salamander Summon with a Stinger Scorpion and Blade Salamander with Blade Stinger.
* Book 2, Chapter 8: Fixed Czarzeau's model in the cutscene to match his previous appearances.
* Book 3, General: Book 3's Campaign Menu screen features Zule instead of a random red orc. Kagero and Kotetsu now have their own maid models (instead of the generic one) as their 'civilian' clothes. Kasumi and Kurumi also have similar 'civilian' clothes. Count Zule employs ninja maids.
* Book 3, Intermission 1: Jin Archers are now using the correct model. Depite the fact that Zule's Chaos Legion doesn't use Blood Riders anymore, one is still used here because it's not been revealed he's behind the attack yet; see below.
* Book 4, General: Changed the Blood Rider's model to the 'alternate' Death Knight model that's been laying around forever because it looks better.
* Book 4, 6: Fixed Shizuka costumes (Gothic Lolita, Alice cosplay). Fixed Kurumi (Zande)'s face. Vektra Prawns are now Vektra Harvesters (and therefore should no longer be confused with Summoned Prawns).
* Book 4, Chapter 7: Fixed Zava's name.
* Book 5, General: Book 5's Campaign Menu screen features Yue Fang instead of a slutmog Shizuka.
* Book 5, Chapter 1: The Nightblade's name is now fixed to Chitinstrike to match with the Achievement criteria.
* Book 5, Chapter 2: The Nerubian Army no longer owns the Airship Drydocks or Airships, and therefore will no longer attempt to defend their base with Airships. The Airships will still defend the Drydocks as usual.
* Book 5, Chapter 3: Fixed Yue Fang's mounted model's crappy animations. Added a new path between the Chaos Legion base and the main Arcadian base.
* Book 6, General: Book 6's Campaign Menu screen features a 'better' model of Shizuka. Free Mode Shyron given the correct version of Starfall (the one Shizuka uses in her 1P and 2P version from Books 1 and 2); she's now supposed to be mostly reminiscent of Shizuka's earlier ability set.
* Book 6, X2: Reduced the size of the Idol and Faerie skirt attachments so they aren't comically oversized. Slightly improved the Holiday outfit leg textures. Improved Holiday outfit skirt for Shizuka and Kurumi.
* Book 6: Changed Scaldar's Burrow Charge ability to be based on Dark Portal instead of Breath of Fire. Arctic Blast is now based on Breath of Fire instead (functionally this doesn't alter the ability).
* X1, X2: Changed Vance's Berserker Slash to be based on Dark Portal instead of Carrion Swarm.
* X1, Chapter 4: Added and moved some doodads to reduce the possibility of getting stuck behind obstacles you shouldn't be able to walk over.

Generally the Chaos Legion Heroes are arranged as follows: Zule's army uses Draconian Lord (Varaskil), Draconian Oracle (Kengal), and Kunoichi (casters and strikers). Generics use Blood Rider, Chaos Judge, and Chaos Giant (which only appears once because reasons).

TO DO: Sazabi, Jenna. Sazabi is Zandalari and Jenna is semi important and needs an update badly.

Maybe:
Jarek, Draconian Oracle, Shadra, Zande units. Shadra is also Zandalari, but she's very unimportant.
-- Razorclaw X
AngstyOwl

Post by AngstyOwl »

Kudos on still updating this project after so many years, lots of respect. :)
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I would've put Sazabi in, but its going to take a lot longer to put that one together and I didn't think I was going to have much time over the next week with the holidays.

At first I was going to start with a WoW model as a base, but that was a little too different from what I had in mind so I started working on the SC2 HD model and it'll probably go from there. His animations definitely don't fit so that's going to change.

Changing the Zandalari Trolls' skin colors was actually a lot easier than I thought; I just had to remove their eyebrows and replace them with dino scale patches. Most of the rest of them are covered up since they're both wearing robes.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

A WIP editor screenshot of the current (as of this post) lineup of the new Zande unit models.

Current issues include:
- Warden's cape clipping over the weapon
- Ebon's hero glow being ridiculously huge
- Demon Hunter still using that crappy old model

The Demon Hunter Mountain Giant, Avatar of Vengeance, Faerie Dragon, Glaive Thrower, Wisp, and Chimaera are still the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

News for 1/26/19

Wanderers of Sorceria 4th Edition updated with the following changes:

* General: Model updates for Shizuka, Deathclaw, Miranda, Kanna, Kurumi, Sazabi, Dalles (Lich), Jenna, Razlia (initial form), Keela, Metallus, Scaldar (added missing particle effects), Queen Corona, Chika (Princess outfit), Bannon (again; see below), generic Bunny Girl (I don't know if this is actually used, but the one in the files looks HORRIBLE), most generic Zande Heroes and Units (see below), Nerubian Necromancer, Mastyrial Defiler, Sorana Goons. Texture updates for Shadra. Fixed Ebon's model so she's not standing so far back. Fixed Yue Fang's weapon attachment being on the wrong hand (she is left-handed unlike almost every other character having the attachment on their right hand) and oriented the ribbon emitter for her attacks in the correct angle. Changed animation tags around for Tendaro for more appropriate effects for her spells. Fixed Mastyrial Warmage portrait. Fixed Nekurow and Sorana's run animations. Fixed Sorana's claws vanishing upon attacking.
* General: Update Seal of Oracles model for Hikaru (Gothic Lolita), Johan (Cartoon Burglar), Shizuka (Sailor Schoolgirl), Yue Fang (Chicken mascot), Kasumi (Hot Dog mascot). Nekurow's Seal transformation is now the Sammy Cube (more visible than a 2D stick figure). The Generic Seal of Oracles changed to the Generic Bunny Girl (may as well use it for something?).
* General: Splash screen portraits updated for Dalles, Bannon, Sazabi, Metallus, Jenna, Gunther. Keela's portrait (and the painting) are being left alone.
* General: Nerubian Tech Tree altered. Replaced Mastyrial Guardian with Jormungar Guardian with the same abilities, only a more distinguishable profile (the scorpid is too low to the ground for an aura as huge as Disease Cloud). Swapped unit icons for Nerubian Stinger and Mastyrial Defiler; they had each others to begin with. Nerubian Necromancers start with Raise Dead deactivated. Bloodriders are now called Chaos Riders (doubly so since they're the only Chaos Legion that doesn't have the 'chaos' prefix now). Nerubian Necromancers and Mastyrial Warmages should consistently cost 2 Food.
* General: Zande Tech Tree altered. Seraphs of Purity, whether the Demon Hunters or the Angels, and the Succubus, are all now collectively called Ascendants to make clear they are all from the same class line and function along a similar 'evolutionary' path as the other Zande do-- in this case the presence of wings, 'bestowed' by the goddess. This is similar in the cases of the other units (eg the Archers and Rangers, the Assassins and Wardens). Sorana's character class is now also called Ascendant in turn (although she is otherwise no different from before... maybe more depraved). See below for further explanation.
* General: Changed all Music triggers to remove 'Stop Music' and 'Set Music to 100%' because the new War3 sound system doesn't play nice with them. Renamed all the Music files to remove spaces (supposedly this is an old Mac problem which I'm not sure is relevant anymore).
* General: All references to the Shodo-Pan removed. Nobody remembers the Pandaren April Fools joke these days.
* Book 1, 2: Removed all references to the original RoC Hero versions (if you can still access them from a previously played save they are still functional-- you just can't ever get them again). Nekurow's Dark Summoner skin should now match between Books 1 and 2 (the Lich King skin). Nekurow's default class no longer moves at horse speed (since he no longer rides a horse). Nekurow's Dark Lord skin is once again based on Dark Fact (at least it looks a lot more like him this time around). Hokuto's Bunny Girl skin replaced with one inspired by Ys Feena. Kanna's Battle Medic outfit is now a white mage dress. Miranda's Idol Singer and Bunny Girl classes use Critical Strike instead of Flame Saber and Cleaving Strike to fix animation issues. Ascendants are replaced with either Priestess of the Waves or Priestess of the Winds in most instances.
* Book 1, General: Fixed wrong icon on Mastyrial Warmage. Fixed Ziggurat/Spirit Tower/Nerubian Tower graphics back to default Undead instead of Nerubian flavor. Playable Arcadian Army can no longer build the Boneyard and instead builds the Tomb of Relics (consider they couldn't build it in the first place). Slaughterhouse and Soul Spire units are consolidated onto one building to save space (any pre-placed Slaughterhouses and Boneyards are still used by the computer as usual). Soul Reapers should consistently require the Sacrificial Pit and the Black Citadel while the Soul Spire has the same requirements as the Slaughterhouse.
* Book 1, Chapter 1: Removed initial startup cooldown on Potion of Healing and Potion of Mana. Removed Ivory Tower from the Arcane Vault.
* Book 1, Chapter 4: Arcadian Royal Guard Towers will no longer shoot the Stone Form Gargoyles. All player-owned Royal Guard Towers are removed on Hard mode (the computer still owns some in their own base). Yes, this trivializes the achievement. It also means the enemy AI doesn't perpetually get stuck outside of your town (unless of course you make a new town out there...).
* Book 1, Chapter 5: Kanna no longer yells when pushing illusions/summons/Shades/flying units into the Resistance base. Power Generator units will now prioritize destroying the Arcadian main base instead of seeking out any random living unit (even the ones they couldn't possibly kill). Destroyer Form is automatically researched regardless of acquiring the Forge, although you still can't use Destroyer Form without the Forge unlocked.
* Book 1, Chapter 6: Enemy Heroes will no longer attempt to revive at dead Altars of Darkness.
* Book 2, General: Nerubians in Book 2 can no longer summon the Boneyard while Defilers can be trained at the Soul Spire (Lord Kosseimaru can still raise Frost Wyrms with his own skill and you can still use any pre-placed Boneyards if available); the Forge takes its place on the command card instead of the Tomb of Relics. Removed the redundant copy of the Graveyard from the Nerubian tech tree; it no longer serves its original purpose. Trolls no longer have access to the Pulverize research (they couldn't use it anyway) and their shop building renamed from the Forge to the Goods Exchange (there is already another Forge building). All Forest Trolls are called just Trolls now ('Forest' descriptor is unneeded and makes their names too long).
* Book 2, Chapter 2: Moved Kosseimaru's message to the other side of the Waygate if you approach that building location. Added an extra Gold Mine for veteran players to make use of (you still need to make the Necropolis in one of the designated spots).
* Book 2, Chapter 4: The Trading Post no longer requires any unit in order to trade for gold; it is now closer to the base and owned by the player (while it cannot be destroyed, it also doesn't count for the purposes of saving your base). Pillage Buildings near the Halls of the Dead moved further away. Mongrethod starts out as a Neutral unit until he becomes available as a Quest objective (and therefore won't attempt to defend the Radik base until then). The Demon Gate quest will reveal the location of the Demon Gate if you don't find it before the first demons appear. Succubus (Easy mode) and Vile Temptress (Normal mode) replaced by Zande Aspirants (Hard mode they remain Doom Guards).
* Book 2, Chapter 6: Vengeances no longer have Shadow Meld (I don't think they were using it in the first place). Removed obsolete dialogue between Kanna and Hikaru.
* Book 2, Chapter 7: The Forge starts with Siege Engines available instead of having no units at the start (consequently it no longer starts with the Pulverize research for a unit you can't use yet). Waygates will no longer be disabled after rescuing all of the Heroes. Remove the Pig Farms in addition to the other Viperfang buildings if you didn't ally with Sazabi earlier. Reiko's 'health' starts out higher from the onset instead of increasing as she fuses summons (depending on difficulty-- on Easy she gets no bonus HP; on Normal 3000 HP; on Hard she gets the full 6000 HP). Reiko will also enter her 'spaz' mode at 4000 HP instead of 3000 HP. Fixed Velcana using the wrong model.
* Book 2, Epilogue: Number of Chaos Soldiers at the start should be consistent between watching the cutscene and skipping it (eight Soldiers instead of ten). Chaos Sentinels should appear where they should be. Music should be consistent between skipping the final cutscene and watching it.
* Book 3, General: Summoner duels can now be done directly by using abilities from Shizuka instead of using the ESC menu. Cutscenes during the duels can now be skipped. Losing cutscenes expanded and penalties rearranged (with the most humiliating being if you lost to Miyuki, because you kind of deserve it).
* Book 3, Intro: Costume Parade cinematics are now skippable. Changed the replay versions (requires buying Shizuka's final Journal upgrade or finishing Book 6) of the costumes around so the Lolita outfit replaces the Mint copslay instead of the Nemesis cosplay (which in turn is replaced by a completely new costume skit) which ultimately makes more sense toward Shizuka's sensibilities (the Nemesis outfit is received negatively so the replacement skit is also negative which is the opposite of how she feels about the Lolita outfit)-- Shizu consistently favors the second choice. As a result the only ending choice costume skits that don't change are the ones with her playable class outfits and the Jester outfit (because that one affects a couple of events).
* Book 3, Chapter 5: Changed Flame Hounds into Flame Scorpions that cast Firebolt instead of Mana Burn.
* Book 3, Epilogue: Pirate Captain's name changed to something a little less phallic (nobody remembers The Goonies either).
* Book 3, Secret Level: Changed priority flags around so it's easier to have access to the Feat of Strength (it also required getting Shizuka's Lolita outfit which makes no sense since it has nothing to do with the achievement).
* Book 4, General: Fixed Seal of Oracles using the wrong models against Kasumi and Kurumi, especially the Chapter 6 cutscene.
* Book 4, Chapter 2: Fixed Cinder using the old model in the cutscene.
* Book 4, Chapter 3: Removed full-screen stills from the ending.
* Book 4, Chapter 4 Intermission: Abolisher's lengthy multiple choice speech is now skippable. Changed the random side story about the lobster to talk about Kasumi and Kurumi's Sealed forms since Shizuka can't be Sealed until the story calls for it.
* Book 4, Chapter 8, Part 2: The Cauldron arena has a permanent visibiliity modifier applied to it. The amount of times you can be defeated by Sorana decreased: Easy = 3 times, Normal = 2 times, and Hard remains 1 time. Using this up triggers the defeat cutscene; that means if Sorana defeats you just once on Hard difficulty you go straight to the defeat cutscene without a revival option. Consequently you can only get one of the special 'defeat' titles from Easy difficulty (and Sorana's dirty mouth is less likely to grace your screen for the same reason). Losing cutscene expanded.
* Book 5, General: Random Arachnathid beetle-type units (Venomdarts, Firestarters, Invaders) replaced with Scorpids.
* Book 5, Chapter 3: Changed ownership of all Gold Mines back to Neutral Passive.
* Book 5, Secret Level 1: Changed unit consistency of the Pirate and the Ninja armies. The Pirates have more nautical themed names while the Ninja are a little more in line with their portrayal in previous Books (which is to say they're even more of a fanservice band).
* Book 5, Chapter 5: Fixed 'statue' units changing ownership from Passive Guardians back to Hostile Guardians. Boss Healing Wards replaced with Healing Totems (cast Heal instead of the healing aura) and once again can drop Runes of Restoration upon being destroyed. Pillars are now hidden during the boss fight. Cutscene stills removed. Seal of Oracles has an additional 20 seconds between casts and lasts shorter. Keela's Cleaving Attack damage reduced (it retains the usual damage in the Secret Level) and no longer can cast Time Stop.
* Book 5, Chapter 6: Removed the pickup item for unlocking the Secret Level. You always unlocked it regardless if you picked it up or not so there is no point to having the item. Added an extra dialogue option for Sypha concerning Mizuki (Ziel's dialogue about Mizuki suggested you talked to Sypha, but Sypha never had this option).
* Book 6, North District: Removed the two northern bases for every version of the map save Shizuka's. The South Mur'gul base is removed for Hikaru's version (apparently Worker units can't swim while carrying resources for whatever reason and that was the only base on the map that had a body of water dividing it).
* X1: Fixed Kurumi's portrait using the wrong model.
* X2: Gave the Zerg Roach and Ravager new death animations, because the old one sucked. Added special high resolution models for Miranda and Shizuka in 'Another Day' which have rigged fingers (you'd understand when you see it).

Re: Bannon. It was always my intention to give him the Heroes of the Storm Dragon Knight model, but the newer one is inappropriate for that purpose (not to mention it's REALLY heavy on the polys). It wasn't until later I found out I already still had the original version. It helps a ton that the silhouette is roughly the same as the War3 Doom Guard; he's just using a giant axe instead of a Fel Sword.

Re: Zande. Ranger, Mage, Priestess of the Moon, Warden, Sorceress, Archer, Hippygryph, Hippogryph Rider, Huntress, Assassin, Witch (the latter two being completely different now instead of copies of each other, although the Witch variant is used more often), Sentry, Spirit of Vengeance (replaces the crappy Banshee model so you'll see a lot of them in the Tower of the Gods and not just hanging around with high level Wardens), Succubus (also completely different from the Witch model), Shrine Maiden. All of these except the Hippogryph, Witch and the Shrine Maiden are based off Starcraft 2 Warcraft 3 HD models (with some clever editting for some of them).

Re: Ascendants. It's understated that Shizuka is responsible for the creation of the Zande (although this happened before the campaign story) and their ideology is borne out of her subconscious, with Sorana being a sort of personification of it (not exactly, though, since the witches' society had time to develop since then). Whenever accepting Deathclaw's power Shizuka refuses to use his wings, which Sorana readily accepts (but can't use them in any meaningful way since she doesn't have Deathclaw). The 'Zande goddess' is pure fluff and doesn't exist (a conceit of Shizuka's thoughts about being a priestess of a known phony god) so the wings are granted by Arcadia. The Ascendants (and Sorana) formerly being labelled as 'succubus' should give the general impression that they're letting thier 'basic instincts' (such as it is) drive them.

TO DO: Possibly Jin units (including the three Paladin Bosses), Draconian Oracle (it looks fine? that certainly aged better than most models).

Wanderers of Sorceria 3rd Edition updated with the following changes:

* Book 5, Chapter 3: Changed ownership of all Gold Mines back to Neutral Passive. Changed ownership of the Gravity Towers to the player.
* Book 5, Chapter 5: Fixed 'statue' units changing ownership from Passive Guardians back to Hostile Guardians.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I totally crit you with a wall of text.
-- Razorclaw X
AngstyOwl

Post by AngstyOwl »

Can I just say I amazingly appreciate that after all this time you're still working on this project?

Edit; is being able to chose character classes in the Book 1 opening trailer scenario new?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

AngstyOwl wrote:Can I just say I amazingly appreciate that after all this time you're still working on this project?

Edit; is being able to chose character classes in the Book 1 opening trailer scenario new?
That's been there for several months.
-- Razorclaw X