StarCraft AI Tournaments?

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

StarCraft AI Tournaments?

Post by Enkidu »

I heard about them, but I never really participated in them because I never knew how to make AI Scripts. I wonder if you guys know about them? If so, do you host AI competitions or does another site host them instead? I heard that most of the AI Tournaments in StarCraft still use the vanilla or Broodwar versions of the game, not too much of SC2 at all though. :S

Do you have any advice on how to make any AI Scripts. It's something I was actually interested in and wanted to see if I could learn how. By the way, you have to learn C++ to get started, right?
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: StarCraft AI Tournaments?

Post by Revolta »

pretty sure SCAIedit and other AI editors dont require C knowledge but you might need it for BWAPI
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Revolta wrote:pretty sure SCAIedit and other AI editors dont require C knowledge but you might need it for BWAPI
I see! Thanks for the insight.

Wait! What if i want to create new AIs for myself, instead of modifying/editing them?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The tournament is exclusively BWAPI which is a bot and not an AI like those traditionally seen in sc projects. It can't be run as an AI afaik. It requires minimum lua skill iirc but most likely C/C++ to manage well.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Moved to the StarCraft Discussion forum.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

IskatuMesk wrote:The tournament is exclusively BWAPI which is a bot and not an AI like those traditionally seen in sc projects. It can't be run as an AI afaik. It requires minimum lua skill iirc but most likely C/C++ to manage well.
Sorry, I didn't get most of what you said. ??? But I got the gist of what you're talking about.

Now, my next question is... What is BWAPI?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

BWAPI is the program/injector/whatever you want to call it that lets you use external programming to build the bots for the AI tournaments.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

IskatuMesk wrote:BWAPI is the program/injector/whatever you want to call it that lets you use external programming to build the bots for the AI tournaments.
What's the difference between AI scripts and these StarCraft "Bots" you call them?
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

scripts are in the game (and are modified by editing in-game files), bots are created out of the game and BWAPI converts it or injects it into the game so they can be used.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

In a way, BWAPI is very much like a trainer or hack that plays the game for you. That's essentially how it's designed. Whereas the aiscript.bin and other ingame stuff is extremely limited and has no access to vital game functions because they are locked behind an executable which would require reverse engineering. No one has done that yet because of lack of skill and dedication.