What's special about directory "campaign"?

EMPShockwave
Terran Refinery Attendant

What's special about directory "campaign"?

Post by EMPShockwave »

Blizzard says that Precursor and Enslavers must be put in directory "campaign" to work properly. But why? And is it matters if I put it in a sub directory of "campaign"?

Another problem: When I open INSTALL.EXE with MPQMaster, We can see tutorial map for Protoss and Zerg, and unreleased map Terran07-08. If I change the name ".chk" to ".scm", other file can be opened by StarEdit while those unreleased can't. It says "unknown version". But I remember long before I had managed to open those maps and even play them. So what's wrong in it?
TheMadman
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Re: What's special about directory "campaign"?

Post by TheMadman »

You can place entire campaign in other folders, it doesn't matter. It just because if you wish to find needed campaign faster, and allow yourself transport from chapter to chapter until ending. That's why.

As how i remember, Original campaign HAS tutorial for each race. If you want to play them, just select them on original campaign menu. they are always the first.

Hmm? unreleased map? I see what you sayin; Yes, Blizzard have made it but it wasn't in campaign maps. Well, i'll try to check it out.

EDITED: Ok, i test it on my PC and it's too cannot be opened, nor be played using mod. Maybe it was in the game, but in very early stages, maybe 1.00 or beta earlier versions. Yet, i hearded wavs, and the clue is, that about some colonies attacked by zerg & protoss on nearby planet. Jim suggested to attack hive cluster, but Duke dissagreeded. after some arguing about that, Kerrigan stops them, and Mengsk agrees with Jim to help terrans. After briefing, it seems that Duke WILL be in tank, with Jim in vulture. They will have some arguing but then comes an transmission from Protoss flagship Ganthritor. Tassadar start to talk about terrans attacking the zerg, and offering aid against them. In that case, Jim agrees and after moments of playing, player will destroy zerg with some protoss helping.

Why it hasn't been in main campaign? Well i guess it maked the story a bit of confused. Let's see; since this campaign was the 7, after 8 (The Big Push) on 9 our mission was not to destroy Zerg structures, BUT to attack protoss ones, which means we were just used them in killing Zerg, and now we were defending it. Since it was that way, we were considered enemies to them and Jim wouldn't join Tassadar ever since, so Starcraft universe would be altered.

It's like that: In protoss campaign when Fenix was killed after that we were sended to find Tassadar. after finding him, he will try to convince us to join, and player would'nt agree to that, so they've taken him prisoner, and in Aiur they will try to execute him, but Fenix comin up and rescuing him. Then we started to pursue them, and Aiur would send thousands of their warriors in killing Tassadar instead of defending their home. When player left in searching them, Aiur would be left with some judicators and their guards to protect. Then, Zerg would kill all judicators, and take place on Aiur with no oppositting forces.

Meanwhile we founded Tassadar in Char's orbital platform again. When player deployed forces, Tassadar sended transmission to him to stop this madness, that the real threat is Overmind. While convincing player, there comes Kerrigan with Infested Jim (Yeah, he's really infested now), and they offering a deal, that with Kerrigan forces and their's will defeat Overmind. Tassadar have no choice, but to agree, and Kerrigan allows them to find Zeratul in one of terran installations. After that, Zerg and Protoss forces lands in Aiur only to see that Aiur is completely infested, and Daggoth is sieging Earth. Still, Overmind had good amount of forces to deal with Protoss and Zerg armies. Eventually, Overmind is confused why Kerrigan allied with Protoss, and tries to control her's Zerg. Yet, Kerrigan blocks psionic emanations and with Protoss help they killed Overmind.

Meanwhile on Earth orbit, Zerg goes frenzy and killed each other, along with Daggoth left. With nothing to defend yourself, Daggoth were taken in sciencist's lab to study this creature.

Then on Aiur's orbit, Kerrigan wanted to kill the last one's who would oppose them; Protoss. She surrounded Protoss with her forces and killed every last one... And now she ruled the entire sector along with Jim...
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when
starcraft was the best strategy among everything....

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
And the answer is: they don't love games bro, they don't love them....
EMPShockwave

Post by EMPShockwave »

That really confuses me...
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

Hah, you young bucks! :P

Those two terran missions weren't used by Blizzard all these years ago, simply for the fact to have 10 missions for all three races. Although they are fully voiced, the layout and gameplay of the maps are pretty unfinished.
Still, the events of those missions belong to the official canon, as Blizzard confirmed various times. Moreover, these events are handled in a novel. (Queen of Blades or Uprising, can't remember anymore...)

Side note: These two maps were used later in the first Enslavers campaign.

Just like the ominous tutorial missions for Zerg and Protoss...
They decided to put the tutorial stuff in the first mission of the Zerg and Protoss campaign and those two unused tutorial missions are just remnants of the beta version of Starcraft.

Sadly, it's not so easy to open these beta tutorial missions. We had extracted them years ago, but our file server is down, so I can't upload it here... o_o

.chk missions is by the way the raw scenario file, which can be better compressed by Blizzards (outdated) .mpq format.

There are more remnants of unused stuff, like talk animation of civilian portrait, VARIOUS soundfiles through all three campaigns...
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Hey, i just said an opinion, because i am not veteran of SC for all time, to know everything about the game.

Also, i just tried to start Terran07 by just renaming it Terran08 along with voices. It just doesn't start at all (Hah, same things happens when you're downloading russian translator of starcraft; Original campaigns just don't work at all:p)
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
EMPShockwave

Post by EMPShockwave »

I have a third problem, that is it possible to fix game speed to fastest in custom game? I have to press "+" twice each time starting a custom game, not huge work but annoying...
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

I guess not. There's no button/regulator for changing game speed while selecting/loading game, so i suggest to play using UDP thing on local game, if you want to play on fastest, but you will get save timer... with no unabling to load in-game.

EMPShockwave

Post by EMPShockwave »

Not even by modding?
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

It is technically possible to do in maps. You would need to use EUD actions to make the game think the player pressed the + key
EMPShockwave

Post by EMPShockwave »

I had tried to replace Terran campaign maps with Precursor, but it crashes before I start the campaign.

This is what I did: extract chk,wav files using MPQMaster, then replace them into INSTALL.exe, replace INSTALL.exe of Starcraft.iso, then load iso.
Did I missed any step or did i make any mistake?
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Sorry, but i am confused here. If you want to change campaign of original to another, you DON'T NEED any isos. You can just use MPQDraft/Firegraft to make SEMPQ and place all those chk/wav files there. It's easier.