Version required to play older campaigns

Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Version required to play older campaigns

Post by Revolta »

Wanted to play shitty desler campaigns earlier for some reason and their exes are old stardraft things or something, any chance I can get the version they used? Celestial Irruption was released back in 2001 if that helps, I vaguely remember it working earler but who knows. Tried every downgrade possible and havent' gotten anywhere
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Version required to play older campaigns

Post by Lavarinth »

I believe you had to extract the files out of the EXE and place them in your folder? I don't quite recall, to be honest.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Can't open them in winmpq. So dont think that works.
TheMadman
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by TheMadman »

Dunno, Stardraft exes works for me in 1.16.1 in WinXP (played LoTC) and had no problems with it.

Also, if you can't open exe, maybe you have earlier version of Win 7/10 and Starcraft can be started only twice, so before opening exe, you must
end process (dll one that starts with starcraft) and then open exe. it helps me with Win7 every time i start the game.

I hope this helped :)

Note for WinXP: I have a machine that runs it, i love it's style. Try to use virtual machine, or install another WinXP on your machine (well if CPU/Videocard support that)
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when
starcraft was the best strategy among everything....

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
And the answer is: they don't love games bro, they don't love them....
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Have virtual machine XP but dislike running it. No startup process dll in task manager that I can see.

LotC exe doesn't start up at all, double click or run as admin or run with compatibility, nothing even starts up and no process in task manager. Celestial Irruption says storm.dll is missing. But all 1.16.1 mods run fine even my own.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Well, if you running latest version of the game, you cannot start older exe in newer OS without downgrading starcraft TO exact version for them to work. All 1998-2003 versions of the game used 1.07, so download BWAIDowngrader from this site and start it. Choose the version you want (Be sure that the game doesnt running at the same time) and start the game. it should solve the problem for you.
P.S you have said they dont opening in winmpq? try PymsMPQ.
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Fixed LotC and related .exes but Celestial Irruption still gives me an error. Do I need to have a physical copy for that mod to work? Says storm.dll is missing but if I put it in the main StarCraft directory it says... CD ROM required. So. What do I do here?
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

If you want to play the mod that does have custom mpq with exes(MPQDraft), you need a copy of brood war to start it. (which can be done if you made an iso, copy broodwar.mpq paste it somewhere and rename to INSTALL.EXE, then burn ISO to place it. it should work, but i didnt did that before(well
it only idea in my mind, but you shouldn't do that. just download copy if you won't do it))

But if you want to play an embedded mpq (Firegraft, Stargraft) which is Lotc you don't need CD, because BWAIDowngrader have nocd that will help you start them.

If even you've got a problem with cd thing in Firegraft Stargraft exes, maybe no-cd works propetly (for me it happens only on Laptop, when it does working using battery problem appears, and for me to solve is just put up laptop to charge state.) or something similiar. I dunno what would cause this thing, so i am not a helper here.

And.... you didn't have storm.dll even before playing mods? i'm confused here.
really, try to reinstall starcraft using Starcraft.mpq; Broodwar.mpq, rename them to INSTALL.EXE (two of them) and try again.
it should solve.

Revolta

Post by Revolta »

no.

This is what it says if I start it by itself in my maps folder.

This is what it says if I start it in starcraft directory instead.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Well, like i said, MPQDraft patches requies some sort of CD in your driver for him to start. they don't recognise any mpq (which is totally bad).
I repeating again: download BroodWar CD copy! that's the only way to start this campaign.

P.S really, don't put/take storm.dll out. why do you ever doing that?

P.P.S ok, i have just founded faster solution of the problem!
I serfed the net and i found mini-ISOS for starcraft that hasn't any additional files but very working with mods (just tried on celestial irruption, works)

Link: http://www.icyhell.net/2008/04/05/mini-brood-war-iso/

Roddy
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Roddy »

Lavarinth wrote:I believe you had to extract the files out of the EXE and place them in your folder? I don't quite recall, to be honest.
How do you extract files out of an exe though?
Read this Gold Standard whey protein review and you'll be impressed.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

WinMPQ or some other MPQ editor.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

If you're dealing with ancient SECWAD stuff, this extractor might help:

http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/ ... 697#p48648
blazin
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by blazin »

*use firegraft for 1.16
*open
*select mod
*save as
*whateverthefuckthisis.exe
*Would you like to copy an archive into the saved file?
*yes
*select the mod again

This method works with almost all campaign exes,

There are some mods (Aeon of the Hawk, Flame Knives, Temporal Distortion,etc.) that work only in 1.10 SC or otherwise they will crash

Zeji conversion worked well on my custom patch till I started playing the Mekani episode where in two missions the game had random crashes every 20-5 minutes, but it was still playable. The Gallantry also had the same problem in a specific part of the last mission.

and to add some shameless self promotion, some of the gay exes i made with this method can be found here

http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-old ... /downloads

Roddy wrote:
How do you extract files out of an exe though?
WinmpQ or MPQview. you need the sc listfile and to install ''Virtual Basic 4'' for the first program (which may come included in the zip of the program)

However, there are some rare case of mods (Fall From Grace for example) which once you open it with winmpq/mpqview, you will see lots of ''unknown'' files. if you try the winmpq/mpqdraft method to play, the mod will miss those files. So in that case you can try the method mentioned above.