Re: Can't run MPQ in editor

Post by Pr0nogo »

#420yoloswag
DuplexBeGreat
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Alright, nearly a month later and I'm having problems with this again. For some reason, certain maps and only certain maps refuse to accept team color changes. I change the color in the Map Description section, SCMDraft says that everything works fine, but when I play the actual map (using the same mpq that I'm using to make it) the color stays as default.
You are not Raszagal. Stop saying that!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Change the pcx files in the mod itself and leave maps at defaults so the changes are global?
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Alright, sorry for my n00bishness but I have absolutely no idea what pcx files are.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There's a ton of .pcx files under the glue\ directories and some others within starcraft. One of these, tunit.pcx, controls player color. Another colors the player color on the minimap, but I forget what it was called.

In essence, the tunit.pcx functions by having a bunch of pixel indexes. If you looked at it in an image editor (pcx is a standard image format from back in that day, it's the same format starcraft saves screenshots to) you'll see a string of colors. Should be pretty self explanatory how it works.

For editing it, I'd recommend using paint shop pro, because photoshop is not very good at handling palettesn and will probably make a big mess.

The basic process would be to extract the desired files from the bw archive, edit them as you see fit, then put them in the mod mpq. I am unsure if custom map settings will override them.

You might also be able to extract the pcx files from the maps with functional custom colors in and just put those into the mod, too.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Interesting... my laziness and lack of "Paint Shop Pro" caused me to try messing around with random stuff again in the map and see if something clicks. For some reason, the human player refuses to change color, but the computer and neutral players are fine with it. I'm gonna hope that other maps don't have this issue, and I am able to fix this one map now that I know what the problem is (instead of having player 6 be human and fail to change to red, I can have P1 be human and make P6 change to red as the neutral player that was previously P1).
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

DuplexBeGreat wrote:I change the color in the Map Description section, SCMDraft says that everything works fine, but when I play the actual map (using the same mpq that I'm using to make it) the color stays as default.
Open the map in StarEdit, save it as a new map, open that new map in SCMDraft, and set the colour settings back to what you had them before opening it in StarEdit.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Hmm... as I said before, I already found another way to get rid of the problem in that first map, but I did try what you said on another map (one that wouldn't let me change the colors of human or computer players) and it didn't work.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

It always worked for me, so your issue must be being caused by something else.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

The map where the color change won't work at all even if I resave it is one of the extracted original Starcraft campaign maps... might that cause it?
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Nope, not likely. Did you make sure that you saved as a new file with StarEdit instead of just saving?
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Yep... I have three copies of the same map under different names in the same folder. Specifics of what I'm doing: I took "The Culling" (Starcraft Zerg campaign mission 7), added the other six players besides P4 and P5, gave lots of units to those six players and then changed all but P4 to orange. P4 is human, P5 is computer, P1-3 and P6-8 are neutral. (I'm sure you can see what I'm trying to do here.) Anything in that that seems amiss?
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

PM me the map.