Can't run MPQ in editor

DuplexBeGreat
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Can't run MPQ in editor

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

I've already posted this help request on staredit.net, but seeing as it's been weeks and I haven't gotten a response and I would have posted this here first were it not for the entire site going offline, I'm gonna copy and paste with a few edits.
Okay, so I have an issue regarding a certain custom MPQ/SEMPQ/EXE not made by me, the MPQDraft program, and the StarEdit program. The mod is Vision of the Future 4: Final Destiny, and whenever I try to run it through MPQDraft to open up the custom campaign files in StarEdit using the correct settings, StarEdit crashes. To clarify, I run MPQDraft, I click Load MPQ patch, I select StarEdit, I scroll down the list to the Vision4 file, and I click finish, and then StarEdit opens, just like when I try to open any other mod in the campaign editor.
However, when I try to open an actual map, an error box appears that says "RunScript: 588 ran non-opcode 254", and StarEdit promptly crashes. This happens with every map- custom made by me, custom maps made by others that may or may not involve heavy modding (including the maps specifically designed for this mod), even the official Blizzard melee maps that don't have any units placed on them at the start. I also get the same error code every time. What's maybe even more odd is that when I open the mod in StarEdit on a blank terrain, not an already-made map, it does not crash, not even if I start placing heavily modded units with custom GRPs and the like on the terrain. It does not crash if I start making numerous terrain edits. It only crashes when I open an already-made map, and it crashes every time. I have never had problems running any other custom mod through MPQDraft.
Could someone please take a look at the MPQ file and see if you can figure out what might cause this? I know for a fact that the mod involves many tileset edits and custom GRPs, but even though I kinda know what is in the mod (I have played it, I just can't open the maps) and I know how to open the MPQ file in WinMPQ, I don't have any experience with modding myself beyond standard DatEdit- no custom GRPs or tilesets or advanced things like that so I have no idea what the file names in the MPQ mean. Please help.
You are not Raszagal. Stop saying that!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Can't run MPQ in editor

Post by Lavarinth »

Why would you need to open someone else's mod? You realize that creator is a staff member here.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Yes, I realize that, and as for the question, I always look over a campaign in the editor as a matter of habit. No real reason.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I don't recall StarEdit always playing nice with mods.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

Extract all the files and compile them into an MPQ, then use SCMDraft 2.0 in conjunction with the MPQ and open the maps.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

OH GOD.
IT WORKS.
IT WORKS SO VERY WELL.
THANKS AND PRAISE BE TO YOU, O MOST SCATHING LET'S PLAYER AND EPIC ONE.
Wwwwait no. Actually, after a first successful use, SCMDraft now constantly crashes immediately after opening.
To be clear, I've never used SCMDraft before, and it took me a while to figure out just how to open it at all cuz I stoopid, but once I did get it running using the Vision4 mpq, it ran a few maps successfully and then crashed when I tried to open another, and then refused to open Vision4.mpq again, or the default version. I tried running a few other mods. They, too, worked fine on a few maps and then crashed and refused to open those specific versions again. Is this normal for SCMDraft 2? Because it seems to be rather unrelated to my initial problem.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

DuplexBeGreat wrote:OH GOD.
IT WORKS.
IT WORKS SO VERY WELL.
THANKS AND PRAISE BE TO YOU, O MOST SCATHING LET'S PLAYER AND EPIC ONE.
Wwwwait no. Actually, after a first successful use, SCMDraft now constantly crashes immediately after opening.
To be clear, I've never used SCMDraft before, and it took me a while to figure out just how to open it at all cuz I stoopid, but once I did get it running using the Vision4 mpq, it ran a few maps successfully and then crashed when I tried to open another, and then refused to open Vision4.mpq again, or the default version. I tried running a few other mods. They, too, worked fine on a few maps and then crashed and refused to open those specific versions again. Is this normal for SCMDraft 2? Because it seems to be rather unrelated to my initial problem.
Yup. Totally normal, SCMDraft is really that piece of shit of a program. Turning off sound and death animations (search google for that) might improve it a bit, but there is no guarantee that the editor wouldn't stop working or constantly crashing for no apparent reasons...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Be sure you're running it as administrator and that you've disabled DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and UAC (User Account Control). If you're not the administrator account on your computer, remedy that situation immediately.

As for optimising SCMDraft, be sure to disable sound, autosave/backup, and unit animations (sound can be found in options, autosave/backup can be found in profile settings, and unit animations can be found in display options). Try doing all this after you've created a new, clean profile, and make sure that after a successful startup, you can open/create maps, because the maps that you're opening might be the issue (they could be protected, for example, or just have too many units or sprites).
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Hmm. Did all that, and some stuff seems to be working now, other stuff not. Most maps work with most MPQs now, but there are a couple maps specifically that don't, so I guess it's what you said about too many units. Also, the changes I make to the sound and unit animations aren't saved if I open and close the program, or if I switch profiles. Is that normal?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I wonder if SCMdraft will crash because of illegal units e.g. building grps converted into unit grps with the unit related animations but the buildings left untouched. Starcraft itself generally will instacrash on showing/loading those.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Okay, the sound and unit animation settings are saved now for some reason, but the program doesn't seem to be accepting added MPQs. It'll say that the MPQ was successfully added to the profile, and if recheck later it'll still be there, but the actual differences the MPQ makes are missing. For example, I still have Tom Kazansky sitting in the map instead of Ace Tarpals.
Oh, and it crashes every time I open the locations layer.
Last edited by DuplexBeGreat on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

The changes you make to settings are specific to the profile you make them in.

Make sure you hit 'apply' and 'save' before closing the dialog, and also make sure that you aren't trying to add MPQs to the profile after launching the programme. You need to restart SCMDraft when you make MPQ changes to profiles, or add/remove them in the startup dialog.
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

I removed all profiles except default, re-added one of them, added the MPQ, moved the MPQ to the top of the list, nothing was different except that the sound disabled was re-enabled, making me temporarily deaf as 20 Siege Tanks exploded in my ears when I opened a map.
And hopefully y'all caught my mistake in the jumble of words up above. I assumed that the MPQ settings were the same as MPQ Draft and that the ones at the top of the list take precedence, stupid me. I have rectified the error.
Since I edited my last post after you posted, Pr0nogo, you probably didn't see that the program(me) crashes every time I try to open the locations layer. Every time. Anything that can be fixed for that?
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Are you using the latest version of SCMDraft? Mine never crashes, no matter what layer I choose to be in or what MPQs I've got loaded (unless the mods themselves are unstable).
DuplexBeGreat

Post by DuplexBeGreat »

Okay, I think that's the version I already had, but for some reason it's not crashing now, so thanks. Pretty sure I don't have any more problems.