Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Post by wibod »

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Post by IskatuMesk »

News just in - the air is filled with lard and everyone has to speak inside plastic helmets. That's about the only explanation I have for the horrible filter they keep using.

Unimpressive as usual. I like that they're actually trying to make combat cgi as opposed to entirely dodging it like wc3, but nothing says "interesting" to me yet. The writing is still very generic. Their music choices leave a lot of exploration that they'll never take advantage of.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Spoiler
*SPOILER ALERT*

Now check this scene in the leaked video from years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMFRoklGP7c

And we idiots thought Blizzard would think twice on that ending, especially after it leaked.

Fuck.
IskatuMesk wrote:News just in - the air is filled with lard and everyone has to speak inside plastic helmets. That's about the only explanation I have for the horrible filter they keep using.

Unimpressive as usual. I like that they're actually trying to make combat cgi as opposed to entirely dodging it like wc3, but nothing says "interesting" to me yet. The writing is still very generic. Their music choices leave a lot of exploration that they'll never take advantage of.
Funny how, in that trailer, they haven't put either Izsha, Abathur or Infested Stukov (Especially after this one got leaked by our datamining). From this, I can only assume they'll have either the worst or the best voice acting. More the former than the latter, I fear...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Falchion, consider this a warning: There's spoiler tags. The rest of the warning revolves around what is likely a very eye-roll-worthy post judging from majority of your posts. Your post is also not relative to the topic. Make a separate thread whining about the game as is your style, thanks.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

WUB WUB WUB oh cool so WUB WUB WUB the xel'naga deus ex machina from WUB of liberty WUB WUB WUB didn't actually do anything at all WUB WUB WUB and kerrigan is still able to command the swarm WUB WUB WUB to murder all of humanity
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

This is clearly done on the premise that Starcraft 2 is a love story.

Too bad most people don't agree with that.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

RazorclawX wrote:This is clearly done on the premise that Starcraft 2 is a love story.

Dude, the very first Starcraft was never intended to be a love story. It was concerning war, survival, politics, lovecraftian concepts and sacrifice in a sci-fi genre with aliens, and that's what made it popular, other than it's immersive gameplay and the 640x480 isometric view that launched a plethora of other games with the same view, including Tiberian Sun for C&C. Brood War's story was bad, but not as bad as WoL came to be, at least the decisions and writing in BW made sense compared to today.

This Starcraft just feels wrong for that. What should be literally a quest for redemption and revenge is being demoted, by Metzen, as a Twilight-like story, in which nothing makes sense, the absurd decisions happen and where there's a happy ending, something Blizzard NEVER did before Warcraft III came in.

That, the fact Stukov is alive and infested and not explained how he got in Kerrigan's hands, the proof the leaked ending from years ago is the actual ending and Blizzard didn't even want to re-write after it leaked will mark HotS as the worst story ever told by Blizzard, matching, if not crossing, the line Diablo III set.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Dude, the very first Starcraft was never intended to be a love story. It was concerning war, survival, politics, lovecraftian concepts and sacrifice in a sci-fi genre with aliens, and that's what made it popular, other than it's immersive gameplay and the 640x480 isometric view that launched a plethora of other games with the same view, including Tiberian Sun for C&C. Brood War's story was bad, but not as bad as WoL came to be, at least the decisions and writing in BW made sense compared to today.
To be honest with you, Starcraft never did have a good story to begin with. It have a cliche "pawns in the game" plot which degrades horribly after the Terran campaign. There are plenty of games /novels /movies out there with similar plot structure, just see Ace Combat 3... The story is not horrible, but it's not something to talk about. What Blizzard did right with Starcraft is suspense and atmosphere, it is the only thing that really hooked people in...

Also Brood War don't make that much sense given how contrived all of the events played out...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Falchion, no one cares about data mining because it wouldn't be the first time Blizzard has left old assets that made something appear different than their canon counterparts in the game. Donny Vermillion's assets show him as a robot, but various employees have already confirmed this was an old story twist that was cut, leaving Donny as a human being.

And I have to agree with mark, StarCraft's story was never quite anything to put on a pedestal, it's the universe of StarCraft that is memorable.
- - Lavarinth
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Lavarinth wrote:Falchion, no one cares about data mining because it wouldn't be the first time Blizzard has left old assets that made something appear different than their canon counterparts in the game. Donny Vermillion's assets show him as a robot, but various employees have already confirmed this was an old story twist that was cut, leaving Donny as a human being.

And I have to agree with mark, StarCraft's story was never quite anything to put on a pedestal, it's the universe of StarCraft that is memorable.
Lav, we're not talking about the data mining, we're talking about the course of the story SC is currently headed towards. While I do agree that Starcraft vanilla story is not that greatest thing ever, it's by far much better than the stories written by Blizzard today (Referring to WC3, Cataclysm, WoL, Pandaria and DIII). The data mining done by the people in SC2Mapster.com is just evidence that things are indeed going in a worse direction, and neither Metzen, nor Browder, nor Kim, nor Sigaty seem interested in seeing things are going wrong, and it can cost them the company (THQ and their dependency on Space Marine's 'success' is clear evidence). While many brag, rant and criticize me for saying it, I say that WoW's success did more harm than good to Blizzard.

If you want an (undesired) example of another that isn't this much of an example to stand on a pedestal but it's treated like memorable is C&C 3 (Both Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath). Before the graveyard thumb that C&C 4 was released, people bragged and ranted on how EA destroyed C&C. After C&C 4, they're hypocrite enough to declare Kane's Wrath is the last true C&C. And no, Red Alert 3 doesn't count, it's just another graveyard shift to another game, this one using a japanese skirt. This is the kind of course that, I fear, will occur with LotV.

But, in the end, we all know how it'll go. Starcraft will be the future. It won't get any better. It's the others who'll get much worse.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Falchion wrote:
Spoiler
Funny how, in that trailer, they haven't put either Izsha, Abathur or Infested Stukov (Especially after this one got leaked by our datamining). From this, I can only assume they'll have either the worst or the best voice acting. More the former than the latter, I fear...
Falchion wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:Falchion, no one cares about data mining because it wouldn't be the first time Blizzard has left old assets that made something appear different than their canon counterparts in the game. Donny Vermillion's assets show him as a robot, but various employees have already confirmed this was an old story twist that was cut, leaving Donny as a human being.

Lav, we're not talking about the data mining, we're talking about the course of the story SC is currently headed towards. ... ---> ... The data mining done by the people in SC2Mapster.com is just evidence that things are indeed going in a worse direction

You just said we're not talking about data mining, and then cite that data mining shows the story is going in a worse direction. Do you read what you write?
- - Lavarinth
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Lavarinth wrote:
Falchion wrote:
Spoiler
Falchion wrote:

Lav, we're not talking about the data mining, we're talking about the course of the story SC is currently headed towards. ... ---> ... The data mining done by the people in SC2Mapster.com is just evidence that things are indeed going in a worse direction

You just said we're not talking about data mining, and then cite that data mining shows the story is going in a worse direction. Do you read what you write?
As I said, the data mining is evidence. Concrete evidence. Without it, my claims would be nothing but hearsay and speculation. And, to clarify, when I first said 'our' data mining, I referred to the community as a whole, outside of Blizzard's jurisdiction.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Your evidence is speculation. There's multiple assets from WoL that weren't used that remain in the data. There's multiple assets from D3 that weren't used in the final game. There's multiple assets in StarCraft, Brood War, WarCraft 3, World of WarCraft and multitude of games that never used all assets. Get your "concrete evidence" theory out of here, come back when you have a more clever thought.
- - Lavarinth
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Falchion wrote:
RazorclawX wrote:This is clearly done on the premise that Starcraft 2 is a love story.

Dude, the very first Starcraft was never intended to be a love story.
I must be dreaming. This is the second time this week someone replied to a post I made where somebody didn't bother to read what I wrote.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Happens all the time on Team Liquid. You kind of get used to it after a while.