SC2 Mapping Sequence

Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

SC2 Mapping Sequence

Post by Laconius »

Is there a basic order that people follow when making SC2 maps? Is it the same design as in staredit where you start at something like terrain, unit stats, sound addition, then triggers? Since SC2's got the addition of new variables like camera angles and more sophisticated unit modding, I'm just looking for an idea on a solid formula to follow.
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: SC2 Mapping Sequence

Post by IskatuMesk »

Simple business for me.

All unit data except very map specific stuff is contained in the global mod file. The map uses depedency to inherit these changes. I like to have all custom unit stuff done before the map reaches gameplay elements stages. Easier to design that way.

Then I do terrain. I create a baseline terrain and seek to get basic gameplay elements functional. Whichever time I feel is necessary I audition lines and finalize the script.

Once the gameplay elements function I go back to detailing the terrain and then putting in the voices and extras. Things like "camera angles" count as extras.

After that it's up to personal preference I guess.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Idea -> Discuss -> Prototype -> Project

I go through a critical process, where I first try to determine if the idea is worth developing; if I discover an intractable problem at any phase in the process, I discard the idea. After contemplation, discussion with "dev buddies", and prototyping and testing, if the core gameplay is engaging and there are no fundamental design problems, it's time to tie the knot and declare the beginning of the project.

Once started, I begin from the functional end of a Functional/Presentational spectrum. Get the most critical stuff to the gameplay done, then the less critical features, and by the end polish the UI and visuals. I don't divide the work by editor modules, since terrain can influence gameplay, but the purely aesthetic qualities of the terrain and UI are last, which is to say presentational elements that influence gameplay take higher priority over making things pretty.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I almost always have started with terrain, but it depends on what it is you want to accomplish first: The visual aspect of the game, or the gameplay itself.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator