A potencial method to have some custom non-static abilities

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

A potencial method to have some custom non-static abilities

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mostly made as an attempt to find a way for Mucky to have some custom pickable spells for his future SC2 TGS rather than static spells per hero due to how the SC2 engine is made.

The whole thing mostly relies on having a dummy ability (of type aoe, self-casted, etc.) with a dummy effect then having a trigger of the event "Effect Used" then depending on the player, it uses a different effect (or apply behavior if preferred) rather than being completely stuck on the ability's innate effect.

So far, the only flaw in the grand scheme of things is being unable to modify a button's image icon for said dummy ability (while the name, tooltip and even hotkey is possible) but it's possible to live with it.

I attached the map to show concretely how it is done. It's quite possible that it's has been known a long time ago by some others but it's new to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: A potencial method to have some custom non-static abilit

Post by Xenon »

You might still have to have different dummy spells for different target types, AOEs, and such for the proper targeting cursor unless you can alter those catalog values through triggers or validate which AOE actor based on a behavior or something. I don't think you can alter a unit's buttons by trigger.

Another option is to use a separate item inventory for ability "items", I think Blizzard enabled AOE and other targeting cursors for those. Not sure if you can hotkey them.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Xenon wrote:Another option is to use a separate item inventory for ability "items", I think Blizzard enabled AOE and other targeting cursors for those. Not sure if you can hotkey them.
From memory, I think it is possible to edit the hotkeys for the Inventory items based on some SC2 maps played in the past.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

I concur with Xenon with regards to the use of items as custom picked abilities. Catalog approach may or may not be viable; in principle, it should work, but some things are simply locked out of catalog modification.