So what maps do people play?

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

So what maps do people play?

Post by RazorclawX »

Out of curiosity, what kind of maps seem to get play on SC2 these days?
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: So what maps do people play?

Post by IskatuMesk »

Dota, tower defense, castlefight, debates, pictionary, and all their infinite clones.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

On the rare times that I have played, I usually play Nexus Wars, because it's hard to find much else. Sometimes I scroll through the list a lot searching or something that'll pique my intrest, but I usually give up.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I don't really know honestly since other than boosting W&M in an afk-sense, I only play during FFS nowadays. Playing the same SC2 maps gets old quickly and my main gaming interest is now DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online, MMO) with Drums of War.

During FFS however, the latest maps we played are :
- Photon Cycles (made by Jademus Sreg, overall a better made Terratron map)
- Monobattles (melee but restricted to a specific unit per player except for workers, observers and such)
- Warlords and Merchants (the big event map, usually requires a fairly high-end computer if you don't want too much lag as a Warlord).
- Nexus War (sometimes as an end event game when most of us are tired)
- Desert Strike (sometimes as an end event game when most of us are tired)

Right now, the newest craze in public games seems to be a map called "MineralZ US". Never tried it yet.

With Mafia being one the newest popular public maps, the rest are essentially the same ones from the beta or SC2 v1.00 on page 1 and 2. It does show how badly we need a volatile list system on B.net 0.2 so many months later.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I found myself slightly interested in 2v2 or 3v3 now.

Aside that, I'm a fan of the games Ricky's mention, except I'm not a huge fan of W&M, but occasionally I will find myself looking to play since it's different.

I also enjoy Space Battles and that other more advanced one where you take over nodes.

I'm generally a fan of controlling only one unit and watching a large battle play out, basically. Or, controlling no units and clicking buttons. I also enjoy the more economic-related style maps, like playing a Merchant on W&M.

The only AoS/DotA style map I've enjoyed on SC2 (not including Space Battles) is Blizzard's own All-Stars. It's fast, smooth, and plays a lot like LoL in terms of the pace. It's no where near as slow or MESSY as that one map everyone plays. Unfortunately, who knows when we'll get that in public. I'm sure I'll be playing yet another Alpha at BlizzCon this year.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

All the MLG and GSL maps generally.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Vetraeus
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Vetraeus »

DesertStrike, MineralZ US, random defense games and the rare melee/ladder game

Star Battle now has a "Secret Cheat" so thats now stupidly unfun.

MineralZ US is a very well tailored game with a good DataBank system and is pretty addictive...but its one of those games you play 1-3 times a day and then end.

Hero Line Wars is now a play-able map from the customs list, Its pretty much the remake of the original from WC3.

A couple new TDs are out, some are only 8 players.

I've played "Battleline Wars" and its pretty good too, 12 Player 6v6 game.

other than those, have yet to try "City of Tempest" and "Micro Tournament" but heard from some sources that they were pretty good.
Do not argue with an idiot; He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.