Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by RazorclawX »

Considering making a few more models, but they actually aren't essential to my design. Must resist the urge to make more stuff which I don't actually need.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
SantaBla
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by SantaBla »

Hey how about you make an aos with the characters from WoS like Keys of Sealing after you finish doing the campaign? I think it would be a great idea.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

I'd much rather RCX updated Keys of Sealing than started a new map. In any case, I don't think AoS maps are exactly his forte.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Keys of Sealing was more or less a live test map to see which Heroes would be suitable for my campaign. In that regard it served its purpose.

The only Hero which I truly liked that I didn't use in the campaign was the Zergling.
-- Razorclaw X
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Wait, so I'm in WoS? Haha
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

No, you aren't. You don't see a Defiler hero in there, do you?
-- Razorclaw X
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I haven't finished, hah. Oh wait, I misread your statement about heroes. I thought you said you used them all except the Zergling. My bad.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
SantaBla
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by SantaBla »

Mucky wrote: I'd much rather RCX updated Keys of Sealing than started a new map. In any case, I don't think AoS maps are exactly his forte.
But you don't get the soul powers T_T of characters from the campaign.  Plus, the characters are also very memorable. I would really like an aos version of WoS after the end of the series. You know,  just to let the campagn live on. It can also serve as an advertising map to make people play the campaign.
muaddib
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by muaddib »

hello rcx  :)
regarding the 3, or perhapse 4 districts already made, i assume each district resembles an aspect/ element:
the murgul/ murlok zone - water.
burninmg legion - fire.
the district you mentioned you mentioned hating [trees] -earth .
then perhapse last district will have stormy effects, clouds, or any other airiel references?
perhapse a gyrocopter fight ^^

regardless of your actions, i am certain the results will prove appealing :)

muaddib
wibod

Post by wibod »

WTF, why is my guild leader posting here?
muaddib

Post by muaddib »

firstly stick to topic please,
secondly, i think you are mistaken between people  ::)
thirdly, i hope you like my suggestion  rcx.  ;)
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Finished construction of the North District. Now I'm working on the opening cinematic; haven't done one of those in a while (that would probably be a year ago since I last did one).
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Still working on campaign.

As a tangent, comparatively speaking to other War3 projects, I can't believe how well I planned this campaign out. Even when taking into account I actually wanted to be done with the whole story 2 years ago (2 years ago I think only up to Book 4 was released), all my planning work really made everything stay together.

Having said that, I don't think I ever want to plot out a ridiculously-long campaign series like this again. When doing my Starcraft campaigns each was roughly self-contained in an overarcing story, with each story made up as it went along without a grand scheme. In opposition with Warcraft I planned out the big arc in advance, going so far as to write down exactly how I wanted it to end before I got carried away. When putting out the first two Books of Sorceria I was still able to churn out maps at a silly rapid pace, so it seemed that I could at least slow down and integrate some one-shot storylines.

Yet the advent of TFT made that impossible. Books 3 and 4 were perhaps the least cohesive of the stories in my outline. So discarding the idea that I had plenty of time to work with I had to sit down and plan-out what exactly I wanted to have happen in order to make the climax in Book 5 happen. That included adding two extra missions in Book 3 to both tie into Book 4 and into Book 5 by setting up Shizuka's journey to the northland and Yue Fang's alliance with the Nerubians.

By and large each of the six Books has a central theme and character:

Book 1: Shizuka- kindness: mercy, love and hate, helpful, put others before self even if it sets you back
Book 2: Scaldar- loyalty: uncorrupted by power, duty before dishonor, work for a greater cause
Book 3: Yue Fang- imagination: inventiveness, daring, fantasy come to life
Book 4: Abolisher- faith: self, others, everything will work out in time
Book 5: Hikaru- redemption: mistakes can be forgiven, never give up, do right
Book 6: Kurumi- confidence: self, the ability to act, decisiveness

All six characters, not surprisingly, are also the same characters 'touched' by the dragon. Sazabi was once meant to be in Abolisher's place (as the Eye), but ultimately he never truly fit in with the other five very well. While Yue Fang is also a schtick character (Three Kingdoms), her character developed quite well in my mind and is rather distinctive, while Sazabi is still a schtick (Iron Chef).

It may seem kind of odd for the lead character, Hikaru, to be featured so late in the campaign, but in order to make up for your mistakes you have to have made them first. Beside which, I rather like a hero to rises to surpass himself.

It also may seem odd that Shizuka, perhaps the most cruel 'hero' in the campaign, would be attributed to such a virtue as 'kindness'. Just as there are two sides to her (in that of the 'other', Sorana) her words are often different from her actions. She took in Kurumi because she genuinely felt sorry for her, but expressed it in her own way-- Kurumi is on some level able to see that despite not understanding it. Having Kurumi's 'initiation' by Shizuka cutting herself come back later was a happy accident, and made for one of my favorite levels because it was just so twisted.
-- Razorclaw X
Spiderking
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Spiderking »

So this gonna be the final book? Or will there be a book 7 to finish up the story?
This message is brought to by the Infrequent Posters Union.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Book 6 is the last one.
-- Razorclaw X