IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Post by IskatuMesk »

Maglok wrote: ZOMG :)
I got a question 'fer yea mags

Where does the Z come from?

And yes, apparently typing before crapfox has finished loading the page causes it to post prematurely.
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

I was just thinking that the story for SC2 wasn't going to be anything like I thought it was. This pretty much confirms it.

And is it just me, or does this trailer feel more like a movie than a game?
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

thebrowncloud wrote: And is it just me, or does this trailer feel more like a movie than a game?
Except for the gameplay that isn't seen in the trailer, it sure looks like it could function as one.

Either way, whether I decide to get it to watch hilarious multiplayer matches or play custom campaigns or whatever, I'm grabbing some popcorn for when the cutscenes come up. Just as long as it doesn't turn into deja-vu.
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

WOW I read through the thread and then watched the trailer, they're right I got chills.

I already talked to the stock person at Walmart and at 12:01 AM on the 27th she will hand me my copy of StarCraft II. I can't wait.
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

You know, all that was missing was THE KEY TO THE END OF ALL THINGS.

Looks pretty tho.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
High_Zealot
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by High_Zealot »

thebrowncloud wrote: I was just thinking that the story for SC2 wasn't going to be anything like I thought it was. This pretty much confirms it.

And is it just me, or does this trailer feel more like a movie than a game?
This trailer does feel more like a movie. I wonder how good their older trailers were.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The only thing I don't have answered in my head about sc2 is what happens to the UED.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

IskatuMesk wrote: The only thing I don't have answered in my head about sc2 is what happens to the UED.
Most of what was left of the UED forces in the Koprulu Sector settled down and/or became mercenaries (which will be available for hire in the WoL campaign). One particular ex-UED group is Spartan Company, which consists of at least goliaths.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

That was a great trailer!  It's funny how the extended part was mainly in-game cinematics.  I like this because that means much of the story can include more cinematics to heighten the plot.  StarCraft 1 was limited by climatic intervals of cinematics supplemented by the "conference rooms" of each race.  You'd have in-game cinematics that drove the start and ending to every mission and that was about it.  I like these cinematic intervals that are going to be spaced throughout the campaign.  The time consumption of CGI vs. in-game definitely allows Blizzard to put more into the storyline.

I just read the biography on Valerian Mengsk.  Interesting story.  He seems like a good guy who respects Raynor and has a difficult relationship with his father, Arcturus.  

Based on the trailer and what we know so far, it seems like the campaign is going to focus on Raynor's rebellion, then a big climatic battle with the Dominion, followed by a return to Char to face Kerrigan.  The campaign will end on a cliffhanger of Raynor facing Kerrigan, moving the story's arch to the Zerg race.

My guess is that Kerrigan's campaign will focus on destroying the Dominion, pushing around the Protoss, but addressing the biggest threat of all... the Xel'Naga.  I think in the second campaign (Zerg), Kerrigan will kill Arcturus Mengsk, and we will witness the return of the Xel'Naga.  I predict a return of Duran as an agent for the Xel'Naga and secondary antagonist to Kerrigan after she kills Mengsk.

As for the UED, I believe they will stay out of all three campaigns, Mesk.  Earth is very far away from StarCraft's galaxy, and not a single ship ever made it back to Earth (epilogue stated remaining fleet was wiped out by Kerrigan's Swarm after DuGalle's suicide).  I don't think they will get involved in the politics of intergalactic war any time soon.  Their only reason for entering the fray in the first place was to gain control of the Zerg and the Overmind.  There's no clear directive now of what they could accomplish that would give them an upper-hand in the galaxy.

This war is basically between the Dominon, Jim Raynor's Rebels, Artanis' Protoss, Kerrigan's Swarm, Zeratul, and the Xel'Naga.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, Earth would be immensely powerful by now, far more than the Dominion (barring any massive apocalyptic sunbursts or something). I can see them jumping in again if they wanted to; and losing a fleet would be good grounds for retribution (to keep the powers in the sector from ever threatening them?) I dunno, I'd think they would do something in sc2.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

I don't see the UED coming back in as much of a force as they were during the Brood War, especially since the Overmind is dead, as AA7 mentioned. They lost their only potential advantage and no psi disruptor certainly messes things up a great deal as well. I do, however, see a rallying of some of the remaining UED forces under the banner of newly resurrected Vice Admiral Stukov. I don't know what they would do, but my only guesses are that they would form a band similar to Raynor's Raiders or they would attempt to rebuild just enough to make it home. If they do get back to Earth, THEN I could see the UED potentially returning. Stukov, after all, was able to disassemble and reassemble the psi disruptor, so he has knowledge of at how it works, to a degree. And if they could outfit ships with that technology, they could do a great deal.
-George Bernard Shaw
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

^ Oh, that's right!  I forgot they resurrected Stukov in the lore.  Perhaps the UED will make some kind of comeback under his leadership.  I always preferred he died because it made DuGalle's mistake more permanent and justifiable for his suicide.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wait... wasn't he the guy who got shot? Do people not fucking die in Blizzard writing or something?
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

IskatuMesk wrote: Well, Earth would be immensely powerful by now, far more than the Dominion (barring any massive apocalyptic sunbursts or something). I can see them jumping in again if they wanted to; and losing a fleet would be good grounds for retribution (to keep the powers in the sector from ever threatening them?) I dunno, I'd think they would do something in sc2.
They're like Gilneas "oh yeah we forgot about them lol"