Easy Dorasida - I'd hate to see Hard.

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

drkissinger1
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Easy Dorasida - I'd hate to see Hard.

Post by drkissinger1 »

So I finally remembered this great campaign (I played 1-18 years ago, then eventually forgot about it while waiting for 19-21 to release) and decided to wrap up the last missions. Now, I remember this campaign being difficult. In fact, I don't think I ever managed to actually beat Conflagration without using an invincibility cheat when it got too heated. However, there's one part towards the beginning of Dorasida that has me totally flustered. I'm at the point in Dresdia Marketplace, right after the Keepers have their discussion and the radio starts. The timer begins for me to escape the marketplace before the Keepers catch up to me. I blast my way through a few waves of marines and barracks blocking off alleyways, no problem. But this one point is extremely difficult: after climbing a ramp to the rooftops of the mall/market, there is one particular stretch with a healing crystal at the end. On one side of the stretch, there's two siege tanks, a bunch of marines, and a handful of vultures. Now matter what I seem to do, I get absolutely ripped apart by these units, especially since the Hunter Killers have a shorter range than the siege tanks and have a real hard time pathfinding in single file. Even if I manage to grab the healing crystal, my units are wiped out in seconds. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm missing?
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Easy Dorasida - I'd hate to see Hard.

Post by The Oracle »

This should help (hopefully):

a)  The HK's will only be able to move in a single file line.  This means that if you let the first HK stop the moment it is attacked, the troops will rip it up and the others one by one behind it.
b)  You have to highlight all of the HK's and select a point close to the 'down' ramp up and left.  The front HK will take some fire but the troops will also fire at the HK's behind it (dispersing enemy fire amongst multiple targets)
c)  Once the first HK reaches its destination, the entire line of HK's should be in firing range of the terrans.  Then let them rip.

**Make sure your weakest HK's are at the end of that line you move in.
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
drkissinger1

Post by drkissinger1 »

Hmm. My HKs were dying so fast, I'm not sure it would matter, but I'll try it out and see what happens. Thanks for the tips!

And while I'm at it, I was wondering what a good configuration for your defenses in "Conflagration" would look like? I usually set my siege tanks up on those raised platforms along the center and built as many turrets as I could along the perimeter, but the fourth wave or so would always get the best of me. Usually after Gerson gives the "too dead to care" comment.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Ground defenses in Conflagration are useful but not key.  The key to winning that map (easily) is to ensure that your battlecruisers are repaired after every fight and that you 'micro' damaged BC's out of a firefight before they're shot down.

A good strategy is to have '1' SCV running around building missile towers and bunkers and the other 5 in the center of the platform repairing BC's.

To repel breaching parties on the ground, your instincts are right.  Make sure siege tanks are on the raised platforms at the four ends, and the paths on the ground are blocked by bunkers.  Those ground forces will hold the enemy long enough for you to send your BC's to reinforce those positions.

Don't worry if your ground forces are torched though, it's the BC squadron that will keep the platform alive or dead.  Just leave at least one marine as a scout so you know if the enemy is moving toward the Temporal Distortion Facilities.
And wait until you see what's in store for this mission in SC2.
1N73RC3P70R
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by 1N73RC3P70R »

in dorasdia on the ramp u were talking about there is a healing crystal.. the problem is when u go to it nothing happens!!!!!!!!!!! its only use is to block u in the already enough small upper levels!!!!!!!!!!! but after a while it centers u the view to where the crystal is and it says u have been healed. and ofcource nothing happens. but there isnt any problem with the other crystals.
F.E.A.R. ME!!!!! THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Let me take a look.
chorale
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by chorale »

The Oracle wrote: ******************************
And wait until you see what's in store for this mission in SC2.
I can't wait !
drkissinger1

Post by drkissinger1 »

Phew, holy cow. I come back here two years later to see what the Oracle has up his sleeve for SC2, and my thread is still kicking around!

Can't wait to see your mojo at work in the new engine.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

You can't imagine what this will be like.  ConFed's going to have an entire playable faction.  The 'fourth' race.  New buildings, new units, new abilities, the works.  And that doesn't even come until episode 2.

Anyhow, the wait will be worth it.  I guarantee it.
drkissinger1

Post by drkissinger1 »

Coming from anyone else, Oracle, I would have to call Bravo Sierra. But I'm absolutely confident in your ability to deliver on that promise.

That said, is there any ETA on the first mission? I took a gander at the campaign profile over on the main site, and I wasn't sure if that was still up to date.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

No ETA. Remember, Episode 1 doesn't feature ConFed at all but there will be some new units (police car, riot cop, things like that). Episode 2 is where the whole new faction comes into play.

If I had to 'guess' and I do mean guess, sometime close to the holidays.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

No, Oracle! Don't give out guesses! That's not the CC way! :P
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
drkissinger1

Post by drkissinger1 »

The Oracle wrote:No ETA. Remember, Episode 1 doesn't feature ConFed at all but there will be some new units (police car, riot cop, things like that). Episode 2 is where the whole new faction comes into play.

If I had to 'guess' and I do mean guess, sometime close to the holidays.
Haha, that's just fine for me, Oracle. The extra faction and modding is just icing on the cake. I mostly can't wait to see what mission ideas you can execute in a SC2 campaign.