July 27 = release date

Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: July 27 = release date

Post by Meta »

There are particularly three things I'd want to see changed in SC2 melee mode:
- high ground bonus returning;
- units doing less damage so that battles last longer and micro has a bigger role in the game;
- one extra spellcaster for Zerg.

Regardless, the game might be really good for us mapmakers, as long as we don't stick too closely to the - currently annoying - melee mode.
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Meta wrote: Regardless, the game might be really good for us mapmakers, as long as we don't stick too closely to the - currently annoying - melee mode.
Remember that time that Blizzard made Warcraft III?  Remember how nobody at all liked the melee gameplay, but lots of people played custom maps on battle net all the time?

That's basically the same thing that I'm hoping for in SC2.  I mean, it would be nice for the melee to be really really fun, like SC1.  I think it's MUCH better than melee in WC3, so that's a good enough start.  The editor, as confusing and inane as it may be, appears to be more powerful than the WC3 editor already, from what I can tell.  And the engine itself is MUCH better, if anything, just because of the pathing.

So I'm plenty hopeful for this.  It's kindof retarded that I'm mostly hoping that Blizzard will provide us with a nice blank canvas, rather than an exciting new game.  And we'll have to count on the community to make it fun.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Stop afking in lobby Emu and let's 2s!
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

OKAY FINE JEEZ
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: As I said, if they fix it. I have no reason to buy the game other than to mod it. If they don't fix the editor I won't get any enjoyment out of modding it.

Hope you've got a big wallet.
Hey man. Take it easy. It's just a videogame. Buy it or don't buy it, see if anyone cares.

By now we know you don't like Starcraft 2 (or at least what they've shown the public).

I think it's awesome! Granted, I don't know anything about modding and technology and whatnot, but I guess in my case, ignorance is bliss. Fanboyism or not, Blizz will surely amaze me when I finally get to play Starcraft 2 single player.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Yeah that attitude is how we got here in the first place, things are rolling now and only time will tell.

I've also had a SC2:CE preorder since Sept 08'.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Legion wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote: As I said, if they fix it. I have no reason to buy the game other than to mod it. If they don't fix the editor I won't get any enjoyment out of modding it.

Hope you've got a big wallet.
Hey man. Take it easy. It's just a videogame. Buy it or don't buy it, see if anyone cares.

By now we know you don't like Starcraft 2 (or at least what they've shown the public).

I think it's awesome! Granted, I don't know anything about modding and technology and whatnot, but I guess in my case, ignorance is bliss. Fanboyism or not, Blizz will surely amaze me when I finally get to play Starcraft 2 single player.
Personally, I enjoy it as well, but that's because like others, I'm not into the pro scene and prefer seeing what mappers can do. So melee to me is just a way to pass time, I'm more excited about the storyline.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I only care about the editor. That care-free, "Oh, it'll be okay!" attitude is why things like war3's editor made it to release and why things like Battle.net 2.0 are going to stay the way they are. Everyone is too much of a goddamn fanboy.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

To be fair... does it matter? Blizzard isn't going to listen anyway.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Nope, they definitely will not.

Doesn't mean you should take it up the ass and smile.
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

So does that mean we should bring up the issues found right in their faces, thereby getting them to sort them out?
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

IskatuMesk wrote: Doesn't mean you should take it up the ass and smile.
Who said I'd be taking it up the ass? As it stands I'm having second thoughts about buying SC2.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Meta wrote: There are particularly three things I'd want to see changed in SC2 melee mode:
- high ground bonus returning;
- units doing less damage so that battles last longer and micro has a bigger role in the game;
- one extra spellcaster for Zerg.

Regardless, the game might be really good for us mapmakers, as long as we don't stick too closely to the - currently annoying - melee mode.
- The problem with battles going quick isn't firepower, but the damn faster DPS!  The sooner they can longer the shots, the sooner players can talk.

- On the Zerg, I'm still to see this one more Spellcaster thing, but if you mention the Queen, then I agree, as long as this Spellcaster has Dark Swarm, to help counter the damn Void Ray masses.

- On high ground issue, the only thing I demand is the comeback of full black on gameplay, that way players do have to scout, not only for the sake of finding enemies and such, but also for the sake of golden minerals.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Mucky wrote:
Who said I'd be taking it up the ass? As it stands I'm having second thoughts about buying SC2.
Ha! Now buying SC2 has become synonymous with 'taking it up the ass'.

In that case, I'm going to be taking it up the ass big time. Long, hard, thick and unlubricated. Who's your daddy.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Legion wrote:
Mucky wrote:
Ha! Now buying SC2 has become synonymous with 'taking it up the ass'.
Yeah, it pretty much is. I don't know how much you've played with the beta or looked at the editor but as it is right now, it's a seriously rushed piece of garbage. I mean the engine is pretty dandy, some of the graphics are really nice, and as a mapper you'll probably enjoy triggers once you can wrap your head around the programming concepts involved with them. But as a modder who'd be dealing with the horrible data editor, a terrainer who is beset with the weird cliff elevation limit and texture blending limit (which they said wouldn't exist at all in a Q&A), or a player who disdains shallow hard-counter gameplay, this is a most grand disappointment.

Though I understand you don't care about 99% of those things. So, eh. It's kind of like how I looked at Warcraft 3, right? I don't care about melee or whatever in that, either. I bought it to play around with the editor. Same idea here, but the editor is unusable for my kind of projects. So while the engine would be fun to play with and would more than likely support LoL: 2042, the editor is far too much of a mess to handle any kind of a workload outside of basic triggering and terraining. You might not think it's so bad, but when you actually get into the thick of it and end up spending weeks on end to accomplish the most mundane of tasks, you'll regret it. Just like I did with wc3, which wasn't nearly as bad as this is.
In that case, I'm going to be taking it up the ass big time. Long, hard, thick and unlubricated. Who's your daddy.
I'm sure his name rhymes with AA7.

Something tells me you'd fit in vent with us just fine.