Falchion's Development Blog

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Falchion's Development Blog

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  OCTOBER 30TH, 2009.

Well, here today will be a diary of sorts on my developments for the Duality project that, hopefully, will be released to Starcraft II.  Well, what can I say, I might also put some things from my life.  Oh well.  Me, don't know where the hell I begin with, so we go to my most comforting point.
THE DUALITY PROJECT UPDATE:
Most of you who know Duality and are very excited, lemme just say I got very good news:  I ain't dead, the mod isn't dead, and it's getting to a level I'm getting very satisfied with.  Like a child growing up, my universe is now gaining more and more substance than I imagined, and I couldn't imagine that would be the fruit of years of useless revising, re-reading, rewriting and adding new ideas.  That's right, my story notes are expanding by the month.  ;D

Basing on that intel system I saw on C&C 3, I made up an "Intel" folder containing the things that go beyond what is in the game:  The details of the factions' societies, military structure, their traditions, even quotes and the background of the Sigman Crusades and Geodosian Legions is beyond my own explanation.  Things that would fit very nicely in a 15 giga RPG, hehehehehehehehe.  But, now that most of what needed to be told of is done, I'm now getting to work on developing the very mission bases for Episode I.  After consulting with Meta years ago, he explained what I needed to improve the missions and bring the gaming level to a point only his and Laconius' campaigns have achieved.  I'm putting more micro in here, but I'm giving players the chance to weed out the old build-'n-destroy game in the campaign.  By now the Geodosian campaign structure is finished and I'm going to do so with the Sigman campaign.  I'm proud that I did it without modifying a lot the original thing.

For units, I've been looking around in the past and felt that the Sigmans, while having number advantage, were way too underpowered to deal with the Geodosian Empire.  That's because I've put on more simple point-click-'n-forget units than I could for the Cult.  Now, I've added my own tricks for them, and will see to it that everything goes on an ordely, proficient, balanced, funny and breath-taking manner.  I've even added what I considered an almost un-existing feature ingame, the Sigman intelligence I proudly call the Mythrian Order.  When I say the name, you can think Dark Templar mix with Vulcans, Bene Gesserit and the aliens in The Dig.  My intent is to show more of what, pardon my ignorance, Blizzard removed from the Protoss ever since they released Starcraft II:  Mysticism, in a mysterious manner.  Something that even Mesk must feel curious when seeing, arising questions like "What is such power?", "How is this possible?", these things that must reveal, yet hide.  But there's hope Blizzard will show more than just psychic powers, inter-templar merging, religious concerns and cyber-robotic technology.  If not, well...  It'll be my commitment then. XD

However, in terms of originality, I'm very screwed up on the Imperial stealth police, the Shadow Ops.  For a thing like RPG, that's no problem for me.  The problem is the BASIC.  What abilities can I add to make this more than a Geodosian Ghost?  I'll leave suggestions up to you, maybe one might come with something I haven't thought of before.

On graphic matters, advancement is going slow, but with quality.  For all these months it's been a constant pain in the ass to make something, delete it, scour DeviantArt, ConceptArt and Google for references, and try again another angle.  It's been a pain in the ass, as I rarely manage to get what I want.  But now, I'm getting there.  Now that I know how TurboSmooth in Max works, my High-Poly is getting better than ever.  The only thing I'm pissed off is that it has a tendency to consume lots of memory...
GEODOSIAN RECLAIMER PLASMA TANK - COMPLETED FIRST VERSION, UPGRADES COMING SOON

For now, the only work I managed to do was the Reclaimer Tank. Since it's barely what I want, now that I got Turbosmooth, I'll check on it later, 'coz I'm now working on the War Strider.  For now I'm quite happy with the results of the Gun Arm I made, and now I'm working on the leg.  And all of this with multiple references, look the troubling work that's going on.  I take that, if everything goes fine, most of it should be ready in two months.  More if something else arises.
GEODOSIAN WAR STRIDER WIP 00 - GUN ARM WITH DUAL LASER CANNONS AND ROCKET LAUNCHER

But my least of concerns is the sound department.  I've put in storage most of what I wanted in the past, and it's too good to mess with.  If something else should be made in this matter, Duality will at least be in intermediary stages.
DEADLOCK:
Installed Deadlock this Wednesday, after a long search and download.  It was good to relive it, but I can't hear the music anymore.  The only way is the compatibility mode, set to 98 or 95, but the fucking thing unexpectedly crashes at every turn!  Everything else runs smooth like a cotton dressed inflated doll.
LIFE:
I'm now doing technical mechanic design school.  Must say, it's getting tougher by the minute, but it's gratifying.  Only thing about it is, designs for perspective and ortho the mechanical pieces require are getting longer to make each day it passes.  Mainly because of regulations and finding the right measures.  Fuck ISO 9000 and ABNT for so much rules.

In Medical Terms, I'm assigned a proctologist very soon to operate my...  Bottom Earl.  Very nervous.  Worse still is that my father makes scaring stories on it and make me sick, despite my mother's protests.  I've visited a nut Dermatologist weeks ago, citing everything that just made me pissed off inside:  Diminish Sugar, eat vegetables (A thing I just don't get along.), avoid heavy sun light, eat fruits.  Avoiding sun and eating some banana, orange, lemon juice or available strawberry and apple are something I'm following, so little problem with it.

Other than that, nothing else happens.  Still not a girl I can find that doesn't have a boyfriend, haven't still got a job and I'm nervous, it's my first one, and my mother thinks I'm isolating myself.  That's because I stick around net and don't leave home much, just to go pay some bill, do school or go to bakery get something.
STARCRAFT:
Battle.net's been lately crashing down connection with everyone these past months.  Maybe they should reserve some servers to us instead of doing maintenance for Starcraft II, WoW and Diablo III while online.  Since I'm not good in a general game, I'm sticking to UMS.  Now, problem is, finding good games these days is getting a real pain in the ass.  Not only that, but each time I manage to find one, something unexpected happens:  Either my parents want to kick me out, or the other players throw me out 'coz they think I'm noob, a storm starts and the lightnings force me to shut down computer, or the fucking computer tilts for a moment and restarts on my face!  JESUS CHRIST, LET ME PLAY BATTLE.NET IN PEACE!!!

Despite this, good games I recommend are:  War of the Lost Kingdoms, Desert Strike, Random Unit Battle (team version) and Special Forces.  I might soon post tips for Desert Strike and WotLK, stay tuned!
MYSELF:
Let's just simplify:  I'm pissed off, tired, sad and almost crying.  Why?  EVERYTHING GOES WRONG WITH ME AND WORKS WELL WITH THE OTHERS!!!  Sounds like God picked me with his finger and said: "Thou are destined to just take in the ass!".  So fuck it, I'm not even giving a try at new things, 'cause I know that will only result in utter failure.
So, we're done.  Pretty big for a first blog post, eh?
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Falchion's Development Blog

Post by Legion »

Cool. Good to see you're going strong with that Duality project.

Though I do think this belongs in general discussions more than in Starcraft.
Falchion

New Blog Entry

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  NOVEMBER 6TH, 2009.

New log in, folks.
Not much development this week, just still working on the leg.  Have to figure out some new stuff I can use in the Cult of Sigma campaign.  Other problem is, one of my promising concept artists is missing.  God, it's so hard to find volunteers these days.  I could consider in bringing my old artist from that EA mod back, but I guess he'd refuse.  Do any of you folks know where to find people that can do volunteer work, besides DeviantArt, ModDB and ConceptArt.org?

Oh, yeah, speaking of which, you jarheads still didn't gave me any hints on how to improve my basic Shadow Ops unit for the Empire.  What do I have to do to get some help, much less feedback, around here???  Maybe some of you just quick-read it.  Well, here it is, plain and simple.

LIFE:
Today's my cousin marriage.  My mother asked me if I want to go.  She did it a few weeks ago, and I refused.  But then, she complained that I isolate myself too much.  I don't know what to choose, but this I assure you, she's not forcing me to go.  So, I ask, what's your opinion in this?
DESERT STRIKE GUIDE AND HINTS:
Like I mentioned on the last post, it was possible that I might release a tip-guide for Desert Strike, a Battle.net Starcraft match that's on the rise.

But first, what's Desert Strike?  It's an economic-based match that's dependant on who owns the largest army and how powerful is that army.  It doesn't change anything for the vanilla Starcraft units 'cept for suping them up with full tech and upgrades.  There are three versions most will be fond of, and, if you want to be successful, you'll need to know them all:  NudeRaider, QueenGambit and Ultima Platinum versions.  Still, all of them have some basic rules:

You start with the rest of your team with one worker unit, one BOOM (Terran Civilian) and roughly 300 ore.  The BOOM distribution difference is two for two players at NudeRaider and Ultima versions and one for each in QueenGambit's.  The BOOM must be used only, and I must emphasize, ONLY in extreme emergency.  The BOOM clears out all enemy units from your Desert Fortress (Protoss Temple) vicinity.  To sue the boom, simply approach your civilian to your Fortress (NudeRaider and Ultima) or take it to the exit beacon in your area (QueenGambit).  Your job, with the help of constant income, is to build buildings that will spawn the according unit for the computers that try to eliminate each other's Fortress.  The team's computer that destroys the enemy Fortress wins.  It must also be noted that, depending on the version, each player's base has five to seven Vespene Geysers near it.  The Refineries built on it increase the income value, but be warned of two things:  They cost a lot and for each Refinery built (Except with the first on NudeRaider's and Ultima's), there's a cooldown in which the income stops briefly and then comes back to generate.   The cooldown time also increases with each refinery built.  So, be sure it's safe to build before doing so.  Finally, unless it's one player against multiples, you can have five workers.  Otherwise, it's three only, so watch out Zerg players.  Fortunately, every worker removed is refunded.

Now, on with the versions you want to know of:

- NUDE RAIDER'S VERSION:  That's the foundation for the whole Desert Strike series.  Here, players are entirely exposed to possible and rare enemy invasion.  The map is entirely horizontal.  There are five Geysers here.  Between the walled borders players will notice there's a straight corridor AI units must cross before going for the other team's Fortress.  As it's the first version, you'll find out that things can be pretty buggy here, therefore, rarely played.

- QUEEN GAMBIT'S VERSION:  This introduces a more safe spot from enemy defense rushers as it separates the building spots from each player and the diagonal battlefield in the center, where both fortresses are.  However, it's possible for players to send out workers (Permanently, be WARNED!!!) to build traditional buildings and defenses to hold out your Fortress.  This is the only version that introduces two other buildings, the Resource Silo (Xel'Naga Temple) and the Fortress Defense (Warp Gate along with three Photon Cannons).  Although the Defense can be destroyed with AoE fire, as simple units will merely fire at the Fortress itself,  it's the Silo that's a bit vital:  The team that destroys it gains 400 ore as a bonus, but the army will have to face a pissed off Silo Torrasque (Do I have to say what it is?) with 666 HP and lotsa armor, and it gets even deadlier if there's a Medic healing it.  The whole team that loses it will stay 20 seconds without getting income.  In your base, there's a line of Psi Disruptors separating your space from the extra space for later games.  The only way to get this extra is to build all refineries on all SEVEN geysers.  If you try to fly something past the Disruptors, it will die, so Zerg players, don't even bother!

- ULTIMA PLATINUM'S VERSION:  This is a remake of NudeRaider's original version, that adds a fully walled position with gates and fixed AI.  However, there's still room for defense harassment.  There's seven geysers here and, like NudeRaider's, the first won't generate cooldown.  However, the most favored force here is Terran, since Machine Shops that generate Siege Tanks is cheaper here, and Terran players have a tendency to build a refinery too early to gain income for Factories.

That explained, here's a list of buildings that generate the current unit.  Defenses don't spawn any unit, but Protoss and Zerg will still need Creep Colonies and Pylons to expand their build ground:
Finally, the strategies for it:

GENERAL:

- In this game, what really matters is not how much you build but what you build too.  Even useless units sometimes have turned the tides in the team's favor.  Try making a different thing

- The Superweapon buildings (In this case, Shield Battery, Nydus Canal and the build nuke button in the Silo) are to be used not only when you have enough money, but also when there's a battle which goes nowhere as well as when the BOOMs have run out and your Fortress is overrun.

- Don't be shy or afraid to build those refineries.  I just said to take care, don't take it to the extreme.  Players who built refineries time to time helped gain the upper hand.

- It's a terrible idea to build all refineries at once as well.  It only increases the cooldown rate.  Better to build one refinery, wait a little 'til the income comes back, and then build another.  Who knows when the time will come when you have to build, but you can't 'cause your income is freezed due to all refineries built at once?

- There's versions that reduce building prices to half.  Here's a game of speed.  Get something fast before others do.

- Watch out for some defenses as well.  In NudeRaider and Ultima versions, there's been players, particularly Terran, that fly their buildings to your territory and churn out workers to build defenses and destroy other workers, to disrupt your spawn line.

AS TERRAN:

- The most favored unit players build are Battlecruisers and Siege Tanks.  But not even they alone can win a match, meaning you'll need other things.  Remember, Ghosts can lockdown vehicles while Wraiths are quite deadly, as they're cloaked, without any detectors nearby.  But these also are not the definite counters, so watch how you build and WHAT you build.

- For large numbers you'll always need not only large armies, but also AoE weaponry.  Valkyries and Tanks are good examples.

- As more as you're tempted, DON'T go for the Vulture, it's only effective in the beginning.  Choose the Goliaths instead, they're more better against infantry.

- Remember, Medics and Science Vessels can be helpful, so don't ignore ComSat Stations and Academies.  Provided you have space for ComSats.  In Ultima version, Science Vessels come from the Science Facilities.

AS PROTOSS:

- Protoss are always picked as favorites for early assault, but, in later games, depending on the player, for terrible holdouts.  Here's not only a game of number or strength, but of spells for the Protoss as well.

- Templar Archives and Citadels of Adun come in useful for the Protoss much in the same Reavers and Corsairs do.  Variety and wise choice is a strong of a Protoss player in this game.

- Arbiters and their stasis fields are cool, but your team can only have two of them.  Your whole team.  You build more and, not only will they get destroyed, but you get no refund from it.

- Protoss also have the greatest superweapon of all, the Mind Control.  Don't hesitate, sometimes demand, to have a 'Toss player in your team, he may come very useful.

AS ZERG:

- Remember that Zerg are basically supposed to be used en-masse.  So, at the beginning, 12 Spawning Pools can really give the enemy some trouble.

- Defilers have their weakness, as some wrong Dark Swarms can protect the enemy from Guardian fire, but also have benefits in number.  The Dark Swarm can be useful, specially if you have a good Zergling/Ultralisk spawn rate, and Plague will really help cut off large numbers of heavy air.  This will also make Medics drain their energy on useless Restoration attempts.  Queens en-masse also cause big trouble with their broodlings.

- Devourers and Guardians are the favorite of every Zerg player, but ignoring the Mutalisk and Scourge can be a deadly mistake.  Keep a good spawn income of Mutalisks and Scourges, they can turn the tide.  My recommendation is at least two basic Spires for every Great Spire.

- Lurker is very effective against infantry in early game, but not so good in laters.  Still, it's not a bad idea to keep some in line, particularly two Hives to churn out Overlords.
Next week, I'll launch the guide for War of the Lost Kingdoms.
Last edited by Falchion on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falchion

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  NOVEMBER 13TH, 2009.

Third log.  Will continue, even although there's no comment.
FRIDAY THE 13TH:
Bad luck's day, oh well, hooray for me.  Sometimes you can feel a shitty day coming packed, wrapped and delivered right to your door, eh?
Managed to finish the leg.
Other than this, nothing much, life goes on, I keep adding more things to the lore and such.  But I'm getting more pressed as the quality is finally taking it's toll on the War Strider.  Have just finished foot, calf, heel and gun arm parts and it's beginning to consume a shitload of memory.  I either need to diminish quality, something I REALLY don't want, I think very few details leave the thing too ugly, or I need more memory.  Even tried some gimmicks to put more memory on Max, but to little avail.  Shit.

Another thing is, I can't continue doing the War Strider legs unless someone can answer me a question:  How can a mech turn left and right?  What are the mechanisms for it?  I not only want to make it as great as possible.  I also want to make it animable.  I'm resorting to any means for it, including posting in other forums.  I'm pretty much getting out of options.  :-[ :-[ :-[
SGTHK:
Been talking to SgtHK on MSN this and last week.  He's making real good progress on the Zealot and Marine, the latter's still being on model WIP.  I also discussed some things on my modelling for Duality, my need to learn texture and mapping, a thing I fucking suck ass at, and he even told me modelling the SC II Marine was a pain in the ass.  That was a bit of comforting, since I'm still about to model the Legionnaire and the suit layers, for the first time.  :)
DAWN OF WAR II:
Once again, I'll risk my chances and install Dawn of War 2, so I can play it, a right given to me by God.  I say again because, the first time I did it, it was infected.  Vitro virus.  And, as we didn't know that virus, it was a fucking headache.  Now we got alert.  If it's infected like last time, I'll be so fucking pissed off that I'll have to wait 'til christmas to ask my father to buy it via net.  Worse, if he doesn't, I'll be forced to sit down and shut up.  Fuck.
LIFE:
Remember when I told you last week about my cousin's marriage?  Well, went into it.  Beautiful marriage, obviously, but a terrible party.  No, serious.  When I went there, I tried my best to contain my isolationist mania.  No success.  Couldn't talk to anyone, couldn't be a part of the party.  Several times I went into the bathroom, isolating myself to release my anguish.  Many times my parents realized that and asked me if they wanted to call taxi and bring me home, in which I refused.  Refused to eat there, had too few drinks, always kept sad.  By then nothing changed.

It's a thing that happened most to me, similar to that Flowers to Algernon book.  As I've been gaining more and more knowledge, the more I'm driving away from society.  My perspective of people is pessimist at best.  I'd prefer a thousand times stay here, in front of a computer, making my models, planning my project, talking with people who are worthy of my maturity rather than go out and stick with the cement wilderness.

By then it was like that until the DJ started controlling the party, with an absurdly high volume and all those rave lights.  I've seen the people dancing, more like mindless zombies.  Everyone was consumed by this evil.  But not me.  I remained incorruptible.  Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.  Went home at midnight.  It was when I made my decision:  Wouldn't go to parties anymore, not to face this.

Before that day, I thought I wasn't a happy man.  Now I'm sure.

Now, Wednesday, all of Brazil lost power.  A huge blackout.  I'm writing this the day after.  Nothing much happened, just had to sleep earlier.  But the things couldn't get any better when my mother came up with ideas to remove my floor, just because the chair ripped a part of it.  Can you call it overreacting?
BATTLE.NET:
Still keeps occasionally crashing connection.  Tried some LotR games this week.  Still sucking balls on it.  Have to train my eyes because of all those fucking Arbiters players keep sending.  Don't they see I'm just trying to play alone, do they really have to harass like that???  Jerks.
OF GODS AND MEN - AN IDEA FOR A SC-II CAMPAIGN:
Y'know, I was playing Snoopy's Fall of the Gods one of these days when that idea cashed in.  I wasn't sure how to do it, but I've let that idea flourish.  Won't reveal much, but here's a hint list on what to expect:

- Angels: check.
- Demons: check.
- Epic battles: check.
- Great story: check.
- Excellent gameplay: check.
- Other gods: Eh... check.
- Norse mythology: check?
- Police investigation: come again?
- Norse gods: WHAT?
- Numbers:   WTF???

So?
WAR OF THE LOST KINGDOMS:  GUIDE AND HINTS
The pressure given to me this week completely stalled my work.  So, unfortunately, the guide for War of the Lost Kingdoms will be on the next log, and on another post given the absurdly largeness of it.
Well, here it is.  'Til next log, I'm afraid.  Hehehehe, just kidding.

Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Krazy wrote: For desert strike, in vQueen, you actually can send workers back into your base.  Just send them to the area where the tanks spawn.

Also, in platinum, altho terran is good for tanks and rushing (and science vessels are cheap), protoss have bar-none the best spell. 
Curious...  :D

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

As for your questions in life- At 19 I had began a very early stage of expanding outside of the world inside my house, I say you're fine with what you do, but don't always push the outside life aside.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Falchion

New Blog Log

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  NOVEMBER 20TH, 2009.

Yet another log...
Well, so here we are, things on the project have been going as usual so I guess that-  Wait, wait, hold on, I'm feeling something, but I'll be alright.  What, what the, it's growing stronger it's- It's burning!  What could...  My... my CHEST!  It's... it's... it's OPENING!!!  Nooo....  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
I DID IT!!!!  HALLELLUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...  Better stop it right here.  Just to add:  NOT FINAL.  Will check on a better map later.
LIFE:
A lightning storm this Sunday, right at the stroke of midnight.  All of the family, myself specially (I HATE LIGHTNING) got afraid, thinking something, our beloved PC included, would die.  Luckly, the storm passed, and it was all fine.  All except the radio...  Momma cried.

Meanwhile, got to do all the things I could.  Some of them include:  Dinner at an unknown restaurant, not good, there was something in the WINE!  Next, walking across our city lake, so damn beautiful these days, not to mention the local capybaras.  Then I watched some soccer and voilá:  I got witness to an epic event:
Finally, on my technical school, we got some class on metrics, remembering old school math.  I like technical, but let's face it, that class sucked.  Balls.  Of uncle Barney.
Fucking lightning storm and tight schedules...  I got interrupted on the guide AGAIN!!!  Will try to finish this this weekend!
Kay, I admit, this was a short one, but one still worth it.  Ciao.

Falchion

Nov. 27th 2009 Entry

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  NOVEMBER 27TH, 2009.

As size limits, I'm placing two posts here.  Yes.  Two.  You'll know why.
Graphical progress got stalled.  GOD DAMMIT!  Well, at least I still got plot perfection and scripting to worry about.  I'm right now on the third Sigman mission, and it seems hard to plan something different for the Cult, given the amount of cool gameplay I've put on the Geodosian Empire's.  Again no clues on what to do with the Shadow Ops.

The cases, on graphic concerns, is the amount of quality and realism I want to put on the designs.  On this case, it's the Custom Adaptive Suit Hold system, the basis for the Legionnaire's "double layer armor" concept, how the helmets fit in space without exposing innards to vaccum and such and, last but not least, how can mechs turn sides.  Either I'm getting too demanding on it and it's driving me nuts or there ARE things life can't answer.

Another thing is the crew number doing the work.  One.  ME!  And it leaves me with the 100% of it.  Yes, I know, it's good to make things your way, but, the size this monster is, a man alone will only do it by the 60s, that is, if time schedule remains as it is.  I've tried searching everywhere but it seems there's too few voluntary work.  And fewer ones with a modicum of quality.
LIFE:
Christmas and New Year are on the horizon.  Time of festivities, interaction and such.  For me, a time to rest, recover and try something on my skills, specially mapping and texture, which I'm getting good, but still new on it.  Nothing new on mechanical design school, but I'm doing fine with that.

Still, it's quite impressive how things have been turning lately.  From bad to worse, I mean.  I got my mother suspecting me of visiting pedophilic porn sites, which didn't have ANYTHING of pedophily.  But that's ok, it's not my fault, it's my old man's.  He likes vising teen sites at a glance, and the suspecting sounds like he's getting sloppy in covering his tracks.  Another thing is how my father is getting angry at the biting.  Yep, biting.  Well, truth is, everytime I lose a BNet match, or something goes wrong, or I hit in something by an accident, I just bite my arm or slap my head or even the face myself.  A discipline thing not to fuck up again.  Not an effective one.  Well, the problem is, I just get pissed off everyone goes so well, and I just want my share.  And I mean, I'm the most behaved, the most mature person people can chat with in MSN, and I don't get it because of the fuckin' Blinded, the fools of the "normal" life!  And so, if I don't succeed, I do this.  It's because of the Jungle Law here.  Either you're the best or you aren't.

Damn humanity, all the technology and still on the Stone Age.
SGTHK:
Through the time I spent these weeks, SgtHK has been helping me a lot with several things like texturing, proper smooth corners and the latter.  But, the newer the tricks I learn from him, the more I feel tempted to restart over and over again the Scout Legionnaire helmet project.  I want to deliver the best for you.
DAWN OF WAR II:
Download was finished yesterday.  After a little headache, several reinstalls, patching and such, I'm now officially giving progress to the campaign.  I have no intention of playing custom or multi.  I can't.  I grabbed it on mule.
WAR OF THE LOST KINGDOMS:  GUIDE AND HINTS
Hallellujah, lights got over me.  I finished it.  Due to the size of it, you'll find it on the next post.

Falchion

War of the Lost Kingdoms Guide

Post by Falchion »

This second guide describes yet another Battle.Net game, called War of the Lost Kingdoms, made by UED_Admiral.  It's a sort of LoTR with the capacity to choose who you wanna be.  It's more based on fantasy issues than anything else, so, there's too few air units here, and more of these rather focus on anti-air.

Lore here goes you're a member of a lost kingdom, you're an heir and you gotta choose your empire, make it grow, defeat your enemies, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, whatever!  This is an eight-player map made mostly for FFA, teams won't ever win in this.  If the enemy team loses, the player will feel the need to betray his/her allies to win.

So, on with how you play.  You start in the bottom right corner with everyone else, in your command a civilian (Survivor), the most important unit here, it's the king, it's you, your Arcane Sight (Observer) to scout and find invisible units, one SCV (Worker) and one Probe (Architect) to build defenses, mostly Photon Cannons, except in the creep covered kingdom, where you can build Spore and Sunken Colonies.  You also get an invincible Liferaft (Shuttle), but it will be destroyed shortly before the second countdown ends, so first tip is GET MOVING!  Board the damn shuttle and find a kingdom quickly.  Also, if the shuttle dies, anyone inside will die as well, so please, don't do the stupidity of leaving the Civilian inside the shuttle just because it's invincible, because, you lose the civilian, you lose the game.  You also get an Observer that immediately respawns if it's dead and a modicum of 300 ore to buy a small/medium kingdom.  The larger kingdoms, the ones that cost 500 can only be bought in later games.  You must also notice that, in this first part, you might be racing with other players wanting the kingdom you want, so, the quickier you board the shuttle and move on the start, the better.  To buy a kingdom, just take your civilian to the corresponding beacon, provided you have the enough money the beacon info shows.

Now, that finished, the second part, where we assume you found your nicey little place to set in the big empire you'll potentially become and bought it.  Now, in order to win the battles ahead, you need two things and two things importantly:  Numbers and advanced soldiers.  Numbers come in the end of each countdown, along with the income.  Advanced soldiers need castles (Supply Depots, Queen Nests in the creep kingdom), which you can build in the vicinity of your bought kingdom.  But beware of two things as well:  There's a limit for castles you can build, 2-3 tops.  If you build more, the kingdom WON'T spawn the units you want, it's a map trigger thing set that you can only build 2-3 Supply Depots/Queen Nests EXACTLY and not one plus.  Also, you can't take too long, you'll need to find an opponent and do a battle with him because of income.  Yes, battle and income are directly proportional in this game.  For every five kills you make, and I mean dead-on-the-spot five, you get five ore and so on.  The maximum income for kills is 200-300.  More will only give you two more things, a Hero (Alan Schezar Goliath) with 500 and a Defender (Edmund Duke on Siege Mode).

Several things can influence gameplay on this map.  Micro, map control (The number of kingdoms you own), and, importantly, upgrades.  Unlike vanilla Starcraft, upgraded units can easily turn the tide.  Buildings here won't do crap, but advance you to tech where you can either buy a Throne (Factory), equiping your Survivor with a Crown (Wraith), Sword (Hero Dark Templar) and Scepter (Battlecruiser), or a liftable Mountain Base (Starport), where you can take to high ground and land on a Control Tower to get some ridiculously weak Wraiths.

Here's a list of the Kingdoms available in this map.

UNKNOWN KINGDOM (ROBOTICS SUPPORT BAY):
Terrain:  High Ground, rear covered by High Temple, stairs access.
Defense:  5 cannons
Spawns:  Archer, Priest, Wizard Apprentice, Orc, Horsemen (2 Castles), Airlord (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, varied spawns, can hold at earlier games
Bad Sides:  No new units at the first Castle, not good on numeric terms.

TEMPLE OF LIGHT (PROTOSS TEMPLE):
Terrain:  Grass, covered by Temple walls.
Defense: 2 Cannons
Spawns:  Swordsman, Priest, Archer, Champion of the Light (1 Castle).
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, Champions can hold against abominations
Bad Sides:  Tight building space, only one new unit at first Castle

EMYNAN-NECRAM [DEAD HILL] (DEFILER MOUND):
Terrain:  Dirt, most of right is covered with high terrain.
Defense: 3 Cannons
Spawns:  Abomination, Necromancer, Swordsman
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, number terms advantage, enemy melee units can't hit the main structure.
Bad Sides:  Rear can be easily entered, no new units by Castle, Skeleton Archers can only be accessed by Dark Swarm.

LOST TEMPLE (ARBITER TRIBUNAL):  
Terrain:  High Ground.
Defense: 5 Cannons
Spawns:  Chaos Soldier, Orc, Revenant (2 Castles), Orc Raider (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, harbors the most powerful ranged units.
Bad Sides:  Multiple entrances, new units available only at second and third Castles.

TEMPLE OF DARKNESS (OVERMIND W/ SHELL):
Terrain:  High Ground.
Spawns:  Orc, Skeleton Archer, Abomination (1 Castle), Revenant (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, powerful units can be easily accessed.
Bad Sides:  Buildings can be easily hit, as space is only available in the edges.

GOBLINVILLE (POWER GENERATOR):
Location:  Near Leveeran, Far east from the Temple of Darkness
Terrain:  Normal ground island, connected by two bridges.
Defense: 4 Cannons, two Missile Turrets
Spawns:  Goblin Battle Suit, Goblin Tank (1 Castle), Royal Cavalry (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Very resistant vehicles, upgrades for Goblins also benefit Heroes.
Bad Sides:  Susceptible to back side invasion, very few units, southeastern coast has a large gap for a well maneuvered Arcane Sight.

LITHIA (MATURE CHRYSALIS):
Terrain:  Coastal normal ground, surrounded by cliffs.
Defense: 2 Cannons, two Missile Turrets
Spawns:  Spiderling, Giant Spider, Cave Horror (1 Castle).
Good Sides:  Giant Spiders and Cave Horrors can be useful.
Bad Sides:  Tight space, demands micro, not good to engage others on early game.

KING'S CASTLE (XEL'NAGA TEMPLE):
Terrain:  Island connected only to one bridge.
Defense: 11 Cannons
Spawns:  Swordsman, Archer, Cavalry (1 Castle).
Good Sides:  Well defended, lots of space to build and store large army, numeric advantage.
Bad Sides:  Can't be bought in early game, amasses only basic units.

FORESTAL (CEREBRATE):
Terrain:  Normal ground, North and southwest by cliffs.
Defense: 5 Colonies
Spawns:  Sylvan Warrior, Sylvan Archer, Longbow Archer, Ent (2 Castles), Entling Seed (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Early invisible units, Ents are powerful.
Bad Sides:  Entrances too open for a huge invasion force.

NOTE:  This is the Creep Kingdom.  This is where the Queen Nests are made.  In order to build something of this kingdom, you'll need Creep.

OAKTON (PSI DISRUPTOR):
Terrain:  Walled village with three entrances.
Spawns:  Swordsman, Longbow Archer, Archer, Oakton Longbow (1 Castle).
Good Sides:  Tight entrances difficult invasions, Oakton Longbowmen have good firepower.
Bad Sides:  Only Oakton Longbowmen at the first Castle, has very few melee units.
NOTE:  Due to a map glitch, the cannon on the eastern entrance is NOT passed to the player the moment it's bought.  You must leave some units to defend it, as it makes a very easy sneaking ground for the enemy.

LEVEERAN (STASIS CELL):
Terrain:  Normal ground surrounded by cliffs, main building over water.
Spawns:  Archer, Swordsman, Leveeran Mariner (1 Castle), Champion of the Light.
Good Sides:  Mariners can cast Disruption Webs, melee units cannot harm the main building.
Bad Sides:  Defenses can be easily overrun, very small unit production, unused Mariners can disturb population cap, sometimes requiring sacrifice.

QUOLAQONDÉ [MYRAL PORT] (REFINERY):
Terrain:  Coastal Ground connected by two landmass entrances.
Defense: 3 Cannons, 3 Missile Turrets
Spawns:  Myral Archer, Sylvan Warrior (1 Castle), Sylvan Archer (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Choke point defense, Myral Archers are very resistant, early invisible units.
Bad Sides:  Needs patience to amass a decent melee force.

OGRE CREST (OVERMIND):
Location:  Far north from the Temple of Darkness, south near Tol-In-Gauroth.
Terrain:  High ground.
Defense: 4 Cannons
Spawns:  Ogre Warrior, Orc, Ogre Magi (1 Castle), Orc Raider (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Has initial strong units, can stand toe-to-toe against Abominations.
Bad Sides:  Ogre Magi demand micro and can disturb population cap.

TOL-IN-GAUROTH (GREATER SPIRE):
Terrain:  Coastal ground.
Defense: 2 Cannons, 3 Missile Turrets, Tower can fire
Spawns:  Vampire, Skeletal Archer, Fallen Wizard (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Vampires, with upgrades, can become the most powerful stealth melee.
Bad Sides:  Tight space, only one tight entrance, Fallen Wizards can disturb population cap.

TOWER OF WESTON (BUNKER):
Terrain:  Normal ground surrounded by walls.
Defense: 3 Cannons, 1 Missile Turret
Spawns:  Archer, Westonian Fighter, Westonian Brawler (1 Castle), Longbow Archer (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Best, unique AoE melee (Uses both normal and hero Firebats), can load tower with infantry.
Bad Sides:  Three wide entrances make the tower very exposed to attack.

LITHIRIA [CAVES OF DARKNESS](INFESTED CC):
Terrain:  Normal ground surrounded by several small cliffs, both with open and closed caves.
Defense: 4 Cannons, 3 Missile Turrets
Spawns: Spiderling, Orc, Orc Raider (1 Castle), Cave Horror (2 Castles), Giant Spider.
Good Sides: Numeric advantage, triggered caves can help mobilize through the map, defenses can't be hit by melee.
Bad Sides:  Can't be bought earlier.

ORC CAMP (OVERMIND COCOON):
Location:  East from Lithiria, on the other side of the ridge.
Terrain:  Normal ground surrounded by cliffs.
Spawns: Orc, Orc Raider, Ogre Warrior (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Strongest units, only one entrance.
Bad Sides:  Lose only to cavalry, unless in numbers defenses can't hold.

KHAZARIA (ROBOTIC FACILITY):
Terrain:  Normal ground with ruin terrain feature and several pillar doodads.
Defense: 4 Cannons, 3 Missible Turrets
Spawns: Dwarven Warrior, Dwarven Archer, Dwarven Warlord (2 Castles), Swordsman, Champion of the Light (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Resistant units.
Bad Sides:  Can't stand against cavalry, entrances too wide for an invasion, terrain can disturb your building process.

ROYAL STABLES (DAGGOTH CEREBRATE):
Terrain:  Normal ground.
Defense: 4 Cannons, 3 Missile Turrets
Spawns: Horseman, Cavalry (1 Castle), Royal Cavalry (2 Castles), Orc (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Best in early games.
Bad Sides:  Too exposed if a large force gets through.

TOWER OF MAGICANIA (ION CANNON):
Terrain:  Normal ground, ruin featured terrain and surrounded by cliffs.
Spawns: Wizard, Wizard Apprentice, Master Wizard (1 Castle), Conjurer (2 Castles).
Good Sides:  Only one entrance, hallucination capabilities.
Bad Sides:  Requires too much micro, Wizards and Conjurers can hinder population cap, entrance is too far and there's few usable terrain.

BASE OF THE AIRLORDS (CRASHED NORAD II):
Terrain:  High Terrain, only two accessible ramps.
Defense: 5 Cannons, 2 Missile Turrets
Spawns: Swordsman, Archer, Longbow Archer, Airlord (1 Castle), Airlord Raven Scout.
Good Sides:  Choke point entrance, can hold against cavalry, Airlords have early stim packs, plenty of available space.
Bad Sides:  Resistant, but can be overwhelmed, no new units after first Castle, Raven Scouts can hinder population cap.

HELLMOUTH (WARP GATE):
Terrain:  Normal ground surrounded by cliffs.
Spawns: Chaos Soldier, Skeletal Archer (1 Castle), Hell Knight (2 Castles), Revenant (3 Castles).
Good Sides:  Becomes powerful in later games.
Bad Sides:  Can be easily invaded, depends on hit and run in earlier games.

Finally, to the tips:

- You can't recieve any money doing nothing.  The sooner you pick up a fight, kill more enemies and preserve more of your units, the better.

- The most powerful kingdoms, therefore the most picked by players, are Ogrecrest, Dead Hill and the Royal Stables.  If you're intended in getting any of those, you might face a race with another or more players.

- If you have plenty of money, you can build a Throne to arm your Survivor.

- If you got some money left when you buy the kingdom and build the first castle (As all players need to.), no matter how small it is, UPGRADE!  It can help turn the tide.  Armors costs 25 ore and weapons the double.

- Magicania and Lithia may sound weak but watch out:  Smart players can turn the tide with them.

- Heroes are more and more powerful with upgrades.

- Spells can turn the tide on certain occasions.  Don't forget them.  Remember the Necromancer's Dark Swarm and the Chaos Soldier's Psi Storm.

-Lastly, watch out for which version you're playing.  Seriously.  Either the maximum number of castles on a version is 2 or 3, and that's exactly.  Why do I remind you of that?  You might actually build one plus accidentally and stall your army growth.  And if that army's small...  You're fucked.

Falchion

Head-huntin'...

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  DECEMBER 6TH, 2009.

GOATS! TITS! DONUTS! CHICKEN-BOMBS! Thank you.

OK, now, seriously, yes this was post two days later than the expected.  Well, friday and saturday were both busy, y'know?  Anyways, now I'm posting and continuing my works.

Yeah, well, still no substantial graphic progress thus far.  But then, I realized what I needed.  More head models.  Geodosian head models.  In explanation, I gotta make them.  Still, it's all going to a fuckin' headache.
Why I say headache?  Because I'm losing my mind on the first model!  Well, to be honest, I've done a head model before, this pictured one, but it's rather an un-realistic one, and it was easy because I followed the tutorial to the letter.  Well, this new one, it rather ends in three results:  One, it ends out of proportion.  Two, it ends looking too old-ish, Geodosian are supposed to look like immortal elf teenagers, nearing 17-18-21.  Three, critical parts like eye-sockets, mouth or noses end up looking too weird, or too big, or too sex-opposite, like female-ish on male model and vice-versa.  Still, all three end in the single logic conclusion: ugly.  Something that's not on my standards.  What can I do?  Continue to crack my head, for the project's sake, if I hope to achieve professional level modelers' skills.  Still, even as I find tutorials everywhere, as I watch every YouTube video, things just go to the endless pit of failures in which I piled a truckload of work all my life.

In text things, nothing.  Yep.  Too busy on this modeling thing that I don't get any available cool head to script it.  Foremost the Geodosian campaign intro, which I surmise, will take longer than a Blizzard battle report, given the amount of gradual advancement, dialogue and critical parts needed to play, to keep the story's structural integrity.
BATTLE.NET:
Didn't go much today.  Perhaps I should and find something new.  The DS and WotLK guides I wrote were by far the best.  And only available.
XP INSTALLED AGAIN:
Yea, AGAIN!!!  But thank god I could post it today.

Well, yea, that one was real short and WASN'T worth it.  Anyways, it's posted, what's done is done.  Also, be noted that the lack of a life post means everything's normal and nothing happened.  That said, see ya.
Last edited by Falchion on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falchion

Post by Falchion »

FALCHION'S BLOG:  DECEMBER 11TH, 2009.

I've had just enough of delays.  That's why I took a whole day writing this blog entry.

While I posted on some 3d forums and waited for answer on the head thing, I went on to developing my Intel stuff and I've realized how much I left incomplete in my quest for graphic development.  But, as I can't now continue graphics, I'll finish what I started and cover every basis I can on the universe.  I don't actually know if there'll be an intel thing like the C&C 3 game had or something else I can put all this info, but if there is, good news.  You know, people indeed get curious about many things in this new universe, so I place these for them.  It's because of extended information and such that made games like Broken Sword interesting.  But, if there isn't, well, so bad, it'll have to stay on site and let the mod's story fall to the point of mediocrity, 'cause I won't extend it to smithereens, whatever the word is, just to cover it up.  It's just too delayed and diminishes the pace of the campaign.

Also, there's of course the scripts, and I'm so damn stuck in it I can't move by chest, if you get the language.  Why's that?  The intro and campaign intro scripts, of course.  I feel the dialogue and extension of it might burn off the hype, yea Mesk, I read your article.  But there's also that thing of cutting off several interesting points in story, something I don't want to.  I'm going insane over the dialogue, 'coz I may have got the idea on my head, but I don't know if this will work.  Things can indeed function in theory, but what of practice?  I can't let people just shut Duality down their PCs because the long cutscenes or the dialogue doesn't make the mod better!
LIFE:
So, Monday was the busiest day I could ever imagined:  Travel to Sao Paulo, the capital.  As such, and due to the amount of things we do in those travels, that demands we wake up at least 6:00, 7:00 AM here in Brazil.  Any late and the time we'd come back to our home town would be roughly 7:00, 8:00 PM.  Well, it all started like this, we get in our bus, we sleep in travel, we get there and land in the bus station (or would be dock?).  Normal thing.  But later it's every adventure.

First, the holy coffee.  IMO, driking the station's coffee, from the upper floor's stand, is an Greek quest:  You gotta have Achilles' balls to drink it.  And Herc's strength to dump it all later.  Yea, everytime we drink coffee, and in my case, that's only in the morning, we gotta head to the bathroom to evac the whole shit system.  Besides that, I didn't drink that coffee in Sao Paulo, I got stuck with some raw orange juice and cheese-bread.  Also, the bus station's personnel have closed my mom's favourite area:  Access to outside, so she can smoke, the damn Anti-Smoke law's going damn heavy on people smokin' on public areas.

Then, we go to metro subway.  Nothing much, I don't get any problems on the go trip, but on the back.  Most specifically, the station platform, I got this high-sense of danger, a paranoia for safety of sorts.  It was that same paranoia that got me stuck on the auto-stairs.  Jesus, I never got that problem on this, but now my own mother had to help me on this stuff.  Embarassing, isn't it?

So, on the city area we were interested, we went on the search for our prize:  A camera.  But not any, it was a mini-tape one.  My mother needed it to continue her work, to convert a requested video into DVD.  Thank god, we didn't have to walk a lot.  But waiting as lot more different, no one can stand for so long on foot.  It was on both cases when looking for the camera and extra DVD.  I've even came to sit on the mall's entrance stair just to rest my legs.

Then, it was time to come back.  Everything went on normal, we had some food, me, some cheeseburger and the saltiest fries no one ever ate before, and my parents, some italian.  Then we went for tickets for the bus back, just to find out the next would only depart the capital 15:30 PM, and it was just 14:10!!!  So, we had no choice but to take the bus to the neighboring town, and then cab back home.  Only thing that disturbed on the bus was my father, harassing me from the seat behind just because I chose to stay alongside my mother.

Now, the greatest of bullshits happened on the trip back and home, when my father bought the damned Windows 7 in a local stand alongside the Batman: Arkham Asylum game I wanted.  I no longer requested, I ORDERED him to install and test that shit somewhere else but home.  No, I mean, you install the XP on sunday, you haven't set everything yet and let pass some time, and the bastard goes to install 7 right like this!  No, I had to set a limit, fuck it if it's needed in the future!!!  Then, back home, I get that lovely surprise:  The game doesn't want to install, the "redundant cycle" thing appears before me!!!  NOW I FUCKIN' HAVE TO MULE IT!!!  FUUUCCCKKKK!!!!
MY PC:
In a modicum of terms, it's not that much, but kind enough to run a 3d game smoothly, provided you diminish the dynamic shader settings and turn VSync off.  Never knew what VSync was for, so why care?

Roughly, too, my PC also has 3GB RAM memory, which makes highly-detailed 3D modeling annoying.  The quality Duality demands for my models and textures is just so much I might have to expand memory.  But that's for another time, until then, it's going with what I can do and expand the texts.
MOMMA TO THE DOC:
My mother's been suffering with something on her stomach for days.  The first I heard it, I theorized it was that italian food she and Pops had in Sao Paulo, but she denied, claiming it was there way before the trip.  With the passing of days, things got worse, everytime my mother ate something, she'd eventually almost throw up.  Wednesday was the limit, she went to the doc.  My father already informed me that she'd arrive in a bad shape, so I went to organizing home.  Actually, I dusted off much of the house, except the kitchen's sink and dishes.  Well, it's a sort of nausea I have, everytime I try to do it, all that food going to garbage, sank into water and such, I just can't take it.  So I leave it for my father while the rest was my responsibility.  All finished, they arrive.  But my father already comes in storming shit that I didn't cleaned it all up.  It was when he gave me this:  Mom almost died.

I went on to her to check on this.  I find out the nurse missed the spot when applying the syringe. Then it all started, as my mother told, she started losing her vision, started to get cold, nearly lost pulse.  And you think it's an important syringe type?  No, a simple medication for nausea!  So it was MEDICAL INCOMPETENCE!!!  Oh, my father lost his head in the hospital, and I wish I was there, I'd go over the nurse.  Serious, people, I got pissed off!!!

Well, rants passed, cheerios!