Unit Ideas

Moderator: Hercanic

aiurz
Terran Refinery Attendant

Re: Unit Ideas

Post by aiurz »

multiple fac sounds like it would be cool but the costs and the way the human tech tree makes it pretty unfeasible if you want the game to be fun to play and not make the games take an hour and a half to play with half of that time being waiting around.
we can see you pee
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Hercanic wrote:Costs and timings on Hubs/Facilities would be changed to reflect this.
AuirZ wrote:it would be cool but the costs and the way the human tech tree makes it pretty unfeasible
Hubs would be priced much lower, perhaps $300-400. A facility would likely run $200.
aiurz

Post by aiurz »

yeah but look in bw, when you are unlocking buildings the costs are generally comparatively lower.  the only advantage you gain from needing multiple facs is that it makes hubs cheaper which means players will be able to have multiple unit producer, but at the same time you are going to limit the amount of choice players have because instead of gaining access to 3 units, they are going to be able to produce 1 unique unit to themselves, and 2 shared units to humans, not to mention getting your 2nd hub in a real game situation without going fast hub is going to take a long time.

the only way i could see multiple hubs working is if you make the hubs cheaper and have the first fac give u 2 units, and then when you get the 2nd fac you unlock the 3rd unit, except the 3rd unit is going to have to be really powerful when compared to the 2 basic units facs provide.

[edit]also what i forgot to mention is that the increasing gas costs will be really really annoying if you only have access to 1 unit in the early game.
Last edited by aiurz on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we can see you pee
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

So I went about making the Spider Mine use Maelstrom. It works. Once.

Looking into the iscript for the first time, I find the Spider Mine is delightfully hardcoded. Instead of using a suicidal attack animation as I assumed (Scourge, Infested Terran), it uses a spellcasting animation for its attack. Attempting to modify this broke its ability to attack. I could convert its AI to a more mallable standard AI, but it would cease to auto-burrow/unburrow.

Long story short: I can have it use Maelstrom, but I cannot prevent it from destroying itself on attack. Without renewability, the maelstrom feels very weak.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Use the trap gun order AI.

With it, I created gun turrets in MFTGATRL I believe.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

The trap gun is just a graphic, isn't it? Is it invisible like Spider Mine burrowing?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

It's possible to replace the spider mine with the gun turret without even using any iscript modifications. I forget the exact process but it wasn't terribly complicated. Changing the graphic and the unit AI + weapon should be sufficient.

I think you can see it when it's burrowed (can't shoot it though iirc until it pops up), but you can always change the graphic.