Dreams of Eternity (working title)

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Post by Legion »

Desler wrote: The best advice I can give people is to always go with your strengths and make that the highlight of your campaign.  If I were to make a campaign today, I would say that character development and dialogue are my primary strength, therefore I'd focus on those aspects.  BUT, you must consider that this is a contest.  So my advice may not work well if your intention is to win here.  In a contest where every aspect is being judged, try to make your strengths stand out a bit while staying focused on the other factors.
Exactly. 

The previous contest brought forth many interesting campaigns, and if people's updates I see around here are any indication, this year's contest will have even more.  I think we all needed this boost and deadline more than we want to win.  It doesn't matter if you win or not, because during the weeks of the contest everybody's campaign has a chance of getting a lot of attention. 
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Okay, update time.

The altered contest rules have provided me with a chance to let go of Zeratul and other Blizzard-created characters, essentially enabling me to bring voiced dialogue back into focus. It also means that I have to change directions here and there, but the good thing is, I have a much clearer idea of how I'm going to put it all into a handful of maps.

I've been spending a great portion of the weekend on building an array of sound editing effects (sound editors among us will acknowledge the fact that the amount of time that goes into fidgetting, testing, re-recording and mastering is INSANE and the result more often than not unsatisfactory). I've pretty much got the voice for the protoss protagonist, Thuras, down and my throat hurts ('see' attached sample, a unit response).

I've also done some work on the mod -- that is, the executable MPQ required to play this. The file changes things like main menu music, briefing room music and splash screen images. Also unit portraits. I like doing this a lot... but I'm not very good at it. It takes time. ;)

So in conclusion, changes are inevitable but mostly for the best. Expect screenshots in the next update. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Preface -- Ulrezaj (part 1)

Post by Legion »

Dreams of Eternity

Ulrezaj (part 1)

The indigo fields glittered under the night sky. The cool breeze brushed up waves of dust from the dirt lands. Ennaeor was on her way to the temple to meditate. It was the only way to recapture the glory of home. As much as they had tried, the protoss from Aiur had found it difficult to adapt to the new way of life.
The temple was a simple makeshift structure of concrete and steel – nothing like the temples of Aiur. It was more a compound than anything else, but it would do. As she entered the building, Ennaeor heard only the sound of her footsteps reverberating through the long hallway. It was dark. She remembered how the walls of the temples back home would light up whenever someone passed by. That kind of comfort was a thing of the past, Ennaeor decided.
When she arrived at the heart of the temple, Ennaeor discovered she wasn't alone. Two templars, clad in suits of the Executor's Honor Guard, stood near the altar. As she moved closer, she observed a third protoss standing in between the templars. She could hardly believe it! It was Praetor Artanis himself! The shock of this discovery almost made her stumble. At that, Artanis and his guards turned around, visibly surprised.

“Apologies for disturbing you, Praetor,” was all she could manage. “I didn't know.”
Artanis stepped closer. His eyes were kind, as she had expected. Yet there was a certain coldness in his appearance. The young leader was not young anymore.
“Do not apologize, templar,” Artanis intoned. He laid his hand on Ennaeor's shoulder. “I like to come here and be with my people. I wouldn't have any other protoss do otherwise. En Taro Adun.”
“En Taro Adun, Praetor.”
Artanis and his guards took off, leaving Ennaeor alone in the room full of sculptures and decorations salvaged from Aiur. She walked up to the Alrae'ah, a pedestal carrying a ball of burning blue fire, symbolizing the immortal spirit of the templar. She looked at it. For a while it seemed as if the object was turning a pale kind of blue, and moments later, the sphere was glowing white.
“What trickery is this?” Ennaeor spoke, but before she could move away, the object shot gusts of flaming energy toward her. Her body began to ache. Flashes of light blinded her eyes. Then a voice spoke to her.
“Adun Toridas, templar!”
“Who... Who are you?” Ennaeor asked while attempting to regain her senses.
“Why, I am your host, templar!”
“My host? What mockery is this?”
“Are you telling me that you've never met your host? Well, in that case, I am not your host and you are not my visitor,” the voice continued angrily. “In that case... you're nothing more than an uninvited guest!”
At that, multicolored fire spouted out of the sphere. Ennaeor drew her psi-blades and generated a shield to block the fire.
“Stop, in the name of Adun!” she shouted. “How I can defend myself if you haven't told me what my crime is?”
“Your crime, templar? You think this is about you?” the voice mocked. “You are merely a message!”

The temple exploded into a huge ball of fire.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Preface -- Ulrezaj (part 2)

Post by Legion »

Dreams of Eternity

Ulrezaj (part 2)

“I assure you, Praetor, these are merely minor rebellions not uncommon during times of great transition,” dark templar advisor Nerassu spoke solemnly. “I expect a change to arrive soon.”
“Minor rebellions?!” another advisor shouted in outrage. “More than ten-thousand protoss have been wounded or killed in rebellions since our arrival on Shakuras! Most of the casualties are on our side!”
“Amusing that you should still make the distinction, Erastal,” Nerassu quipped.

Artanis rose from his seat and took a look around the conference room. He saw the great rift between the protoss people right here, in this very room.
“Brethren, it pains us all greatly to see so many of our kind die for nothing. Nerassu, you speak wisely when you say that a transition cannot exist without turmoil, but it has gone too far. A few days ago, a khalai temple was destroyed. A house of peace now serves as the tomb of an innocent,” Artanis said. His voice carried a great sadness that all present heard.
“I do not need to remind you all that it has not yet been confirmed that the destruction of the temple was orchestrated by dark templar insurgents,” Nerassu interrupted the silence. “Surely we do not wish to cast any judgment before we have more facts.”
“Of course,” Artanis replied, nodding to the dark templar. Then he stepped forward, taking on a broad stance. “Nevertheless, I am going to impose a stronger system of rules in New Antioch and its surrounding settlements. The Honor Guard will take control of any administration of justice and protection.”
“What?!” Nerassu shouted. “You're going to put us all under surveillance?”
“Only for a while,” Artanis answered. “The safety of all protoss is always our top priority. That is one lesson I've learned from Matriarch Raszagal.” As he was leaving, Artanis turned to his board of advisors one more time. “Feel free to think of efficient ways to organize this system of security, my noble brethren. En Taro Adun.”

The murmur continued.

Out in the dark-blue canyons, far removed from New Antioch, the dark archon Ulrezaj was observing the contents of a number of stasis cells.
“Master,” a voice from behind him spoke. “When do we leave for Aiur?”
Ulrezaj turned to his dark templar servant, who instinctively stepped backwards upon facing the towering effigy. “Soon...”
“I'll prepare the shuttles.”
“No,” Ulrezaj bellowed. “We will travel unseen.”
The dark templar was surprised. “A warp gate? Are there any left?”
“Do not expect my powers to be limited... or comprehended by the likes of you,” Ulrezaj replied coldly.
“Of course, master.”
Ulrezaj moved back to his stasis cells, focusing on the contents of the middle one and looking Zeratul straight in the eye.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

[imgwh 128x128]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9343/d ... gy3128.gif[/imgwh]

Can't wait to play this one... Yay!!  :D
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Yeah I know he's appeared in some official book, but I haven't read any of them. Glad you like it! Gemini inspired me.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

4 shots

Post by Legion »

Four screenshots from mission 1.

[imgwh 640x480]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... shot01.jpg[/imgwh]

A piece of meaningless dialogue. :D

[imgwh 640x335]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... shot02.jpg[/imgwh]

A shot of mission 1 in StarEdit. Intriguing stuff! :P

[imgwh 640x480]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... shot03.jpg[/imgwh]

A dark templar hero successfully using a very handy tool to whack zerg.

[imgwh 640x480]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... shot04.jpg[/imgwh]

A dark templar using that same weapon, but the player hasn't been paying attention. This ends the mission... in failure!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

Krazy wrote: Am I the only one that finds something slightly sexual in a bunch of blue explosions coming out of a cave? 

:P :P :P
YES.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Krazy wrote: Am I the only one that finds something slightly sexual in a bunch of blue explosions coming out of a cave? 

:P :P :P
Enlighten me, please.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Project on hold and pulled out of the contest.

Reason: Time. Always time.  8)

Good luck to all contestants!
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Nooo Legion! You have to defend your title. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Maglok wrote: Nooo Legion! You have to defend your title. :)
Hehe I know.  I just won't be able to do much work the coming weeks, and that would only be more embarrassing.

It's not the end of this project, I just won't be using it in the battle for the beta keys.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

BadManners! wrote:
Maglok wrote: Nooo Legion! You have to defend your title. :)
Hehe I know.  I just won't be able to do much work the coming weeks, and that would only be more embarrassing.

It's not the end of this project, I just won't be using it in the battle for the beta keys.
Oh, what a pity. I really liked this project, specially those introduction posts. Anyways, good luck with this project... whenever you decide to finish it. :p

Cheers and have fun!
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Church

Post by Church »

Nooo! You may have Bad Manners but sometimes I think youre cool! Ussually not- and not right now.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Jim_Raynor wrote: Nooo! You may have Bad Manners but sometimes I think youre cool! Ussually not- and not right now.
Thank you for sharing.  ???