StarCraft: Vile Egression [Completed]

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: StarCraft: Vile Egression

Post by Laconius »

tipereth wrote: All my naysaying aside that's cool as hell.
Wow, surprising comeback.  Thanks. :P
Sodon wrote: Which editor are you using?
I scribble up terrain w/ X-Tra editor, along with whatever other work I can stuff into a map.  After all that's done, I send it off to be manhandled by SCMDraft.
Last edited by Laconius on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Wow. I must admit that's one of the best boss battles I've seen. It's a simple, yet challenging. I also like the 'Demistify Fog' idea. It's a new and interesting addition for the battle. I applaud your work on this project, well done. ;)

About the new wireframes, I don't know if you should keep them like this. I mean, they're cool, but a bit confusing too. It's difficult to see when are your units' HP damaged if the wireframe is always glowing like that (specially if you select large groups of units. That'll be very annoying, as your troops will be killed without you even noticing that!). ;)

Also, a question. How do you manage to change the text colors like this? I know how to add the more classical colors (light blue, red, green, white, etc...) but the new ones you add like orange, tan,... I don't know how to add them (I've already tested with the options available at SCMDraft).
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Is that StarEdit Assistant the really old transmission timer?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Lavarinth wrote: Is that StarEdit Assistant the really old transmission timer?
If by transmission timer you mean text alignment and whatnot, then yar.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Laconius wrote: I'm not sure as to why you couldn't find the varied text color editor in SCMDraft.  Are you using the latest version?  Because here's what mine looks like:

[imgwh 150x128]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5237/textcolor.th.png[/imgwh]
Yeah, it looks so to me. The problem isn't that. The problem is that when I want to write an orange text (I'd need to write EXAMPLE), the entire text turns invisible in the game. That happens too with all the colors different from red, yellow, normal/light green, light blue, white, gray and invisible (the ones which appears in X-tra Editor). It seems like the game isn't able to read the new colors, but I don't know why...
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

omega20 wrote:
Laconius wrote: I'm not sure as to why you couldn't find the varied text color editor in SCMDraft.  Are you using the latest version?  Because here's what mine looks like:

[imgwh 150x128]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5237/textcolor.th.png[/imgwh]
Yeah, it looks so to me. The problem isn't that. The problem is that when I want to write an orange text (I'd need to write EXAMPLE), the entire text turns invisible in the game. That happens too with all the colors different from red, yellow, normal/light green, light blue, white, gray and invisible (the ones which appears in X-tra Editor). It seems like the game isn't able to read the new colors, but I don't know why...
Hmm, that's really strange.  I recall Revan having a similar problem during the previous contest, but I'm not sure if he was able to end up fixing it.  As for me, I put space gaps between the color code and its respective text; take a look:

[imgwh 150x128]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4599/textcolor2.th.png[/imgwh]

Maybe you could try that and see if it works.  If not, why don't you send me a PM w/ more details and I can help you out there.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Laconius wrote: Hmm, that's really strange.  I recall Revan having a similar problem during the previous contest, but I'm not sure if he was able to end up fixing it.  As for me, I put space gaps between the color code and its respective text; take a look:

[imgwh 150x128]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4599/textcolor2.th.png[/imgwh]

Maybe you could try that and see if it works.  If not, why don't you send me a PM w/ more details and I can help you out there.
OK, I'm going to try that right now. I hope it works... :)
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

IMO, I don't think the music fits.  I mean, it's great music for a boss battle, but it just doesn't fit when you're playing as the Protoss.
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

The music at the beginning of the Mithras fight immediately made me think of the horrid Bleach movie. And it made me very angry.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Some of the bleach soundtracks are amazing.  As for the direction the anime is progressing...  :-X
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

"Oh man, I'm really gonna die. I've already used my trump card that increased my power level over 9000. What should I do? Perhaps this could be the opportunity I was looking for to get stronger. Or maybe...

I know! I'll hold my sword with BOTH OF MY HANDS." Viewers proceed to bang their heads on the wall.

Getting back on topic, this looks really interesting, although I kind of wish you wouldn't have revealed an entire boss fight.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Mucky wrote: Getting back on topic, this looks really interesting, although I kind of wish you wouldn't have revealed an entire boss fight.
Yeah, normally I wouldn't have revealed something of this caliber.  However, the rules state that contestants get points for updates and whatnot, so I post whatever teasers I can in order to improve my overall score.

EDIT:  Actually, you're right.  I'm going to take down the original vid and re-attach a shorter version.  Thanks for your observation.
Last edited by Laconius on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Updates don't require you to reveal to us your entire gameplay ;)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Yeah... I'll keep it short and simple from now on.  :P
omega20

Post by omega20 »

So, you updated a shorter version of the video. And you changed the main boss music track, as I can see... :)