Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

Post by Lavarinth »

Actually, the original idea was introduce by Karune of Blizzard months ago to me.

However, Laconius, Legion, Desler, take this in mind: The details ask for a story four years within the timeline that is currently no in-game in either of the two. They may be dictated over novels, but those are still only fragments.

Consider the following example:

As the Warp Gate shut down to prevent the Zerg from passing through, hundreds, if not thousands of Protoss still remained on Aiur to be slaughtered by the infesting Zerg taking the world for their own. As the remaining Protoss were slaughtered, some went into hiding on the outskirts of the main Zerg hives which were once the Protoss' cities. With only their pride and honor remaining, the fought for years attempting to rid as many of the Zerg creatures as possible until their eventual death years later.

This example dictates something that occurred during the Brood War, and carried over into the time between. During this time, one could portray their tale of survival and the close circumstances they've face, getting them attached to characters and eventually witnessing their deaths, impacting the player emotionally.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
WedgeAntilles

Post by WedgeAntilles »

When is the deadline to post your entry?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

There is none, due to the uniqueness in the requirement of the predetermined story, it prevents people from waiting to just submit their unrelated project into the pool. However, as mentioned, the sooner you submit your project, the more professionalism points you receive due to being able to determine and analyze your documentation of updates.
- - Lavarinth
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Lavarinth wrote: This example dictates something that occurred during the Brood War, and carried over into the time between. During this time, one could portray their tale of survival and the close circumstances they've face, getting them attached to characters and eventually witnessing their deaths, impacting the player emotionally.
Yes thank you for that wonderful example, it isn't as if I was oblivious to how I could possibly create a story that spanned the length of four years.  The issue was rather why it was being forced to span four full years.  Four full years means YES, you do have to start at Brood War, or mention it.  If you don't, it isn't FOUR FULL YEARS, its like... 3.5.  Weird.  Restrictive.  Constraining.

On the other hand, it can be looked upon as a creative challenge to the community.  It's just difficult since there has always been such a broad level of freedom to work with, and now everyone is told to tell a full four year story - something which effectively eliminates a lot of creative options and would make seeing the end results of this content all the more appealing.  Sure, you can get around this four year requirement with in-game explanations or summaries, but aren't those just kind of cheats?
Last edited by Marco on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Gemini
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Gemini »

Well, Desler, are you going to make one?
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Gemini wrote: Well, Desler, are you going to make one?
Sounds like a dare, Des.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

I really hate working under the restrictions of the original StarCraft map editor.  It's so incredibly useless compared to the WC3 editor.  And then furthermore, I hate working under the creative restrictions of this contest.

So to answer your question...
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Desler wrote: I really hate working under the restrictions of the original StarCraft map editor.  It's so incredibly useless compared to the WC3 editor.  And then furthermore, I hate working under the creative restrictions of this contest.

Aw, come on, guy.

You can join in on our SC2 contests then.
- - Lavarinth
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Also, keep in mind I said it must stretch within the confines of the four years, and can delve before the end of Brood War and past the beginning of StarCraft II. However, that does not mean you cannot begin a story by stating "Eight months had passed since Kerrigan exiled the UED from her sanctum across the Koprulu Sector, while a lone UED station remained on a desolate planet's moon waiting for their call to go home."
- - Lavarinth
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

Lavarinth wrote:
Desler wrote: I really hate working under the restrictions of the original StarCraft map editor.  It's so incredibly useless compared to the WC3 editor.  And then furthermore, I hate working under the creative restrictions of this contest.

Aw, come on, guy.

Lavarinth wrote: Also, keep in mind I said it must stretch within the confines of the four years, and can delve before the end of Brood War and past the beginning of StarCraft II. However, that does not mean you cannot begin a story by stating "Eight months had passed since Kerrigan exiled the UED from her sanctum across the Koprulu Sector, while a lone UED station remained on a desolate planet's moon waiting for their call to go home."
You double posted Lavarinth!
Last edited by Church on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Jim_Raynor wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:

Aw, come on, guy.

Lavarinth wrote: Also, keep in mind I said it must stretch within the confines of the four years, and can delve before the end of Brood War and past the beginning of StarCraft II. However, that does not mean you cannot begin a story by stating "Eight months had passed since Kerrigan exiled the UED from her sanctum across the Koprulu Sector, while a lone UED station remained on a desolate planet's moon waiting for their call to go home."
You double posted Lavarinth!
Yes, and I also run this site with my own blood, sweat, tears, and money. :D
- - Lavarinth
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

But what about the other direction?  Does have the campaign have to extend all the way to the beginning of StarCraft II?

What about a campaign like All Cerebrates Must Die?  It begins right after the death of the Second Overmind and extends to (at most) a year after that, with three years remaining between it and SC2.  Would a campaign following a timeline like that be acceptable?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Thalraxal wrote:
But what about the other direction?  Does have the campaign have to extend all the way to the beginning of StarCraft II?

What about a campaign like All Cerebrates Must Die?  It begins right after the death of the Second Overmind and extends to (at most) a year after that, with three years remaining between it and SC2.  Would a campaign following a timeline like that be acceptable?
So long as you aren't skipping a drastic amount this is viable. Such as the three years in this example. If you skip some time and later depict the end result of such actions via a mission(s), cutscene(s), resulting in four years being covered this is acceptable.
- - Lavarinth
l)ark_ssj9kevin
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by l)ark_ssj9kevin »

Yeah I'll just ask this now.
In my campaign, the first map will happen a few months after Brood Wars, but then the next map is three years later, and the rest of the map with no gaps. Though, event did happen during that gap, only you don't play it through. Is that acceptable?
The_Blade
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by The_Blade »

Having several minor issues you guys might laugh at me for... but I need to deal with them and just dont know how.

How do you prevent starcraft from changing unit colors and lets say; make player  1 fixed to red, player 2 fixed to oj, etc

Its something optional but it actually freaks me out.

And... Are there any restrictions involving editor and modding tools?