StarCraft: Vile Egression [Completed]

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: StarCraft: Vile Egression

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote: I personally think that custom effects like sounds and actual grammar should have a significant impact since they reflect the artist's original vision better and represent a better understanding of the game itself and a stronger degree of dedication to their work.

I think less of mods who fail to produce custom sounds or put any effort into their graphics other than crappy kitbashes because it reflects on their laziness or unwillingness to invest time in new ventures, for example.
Actual grammar counts for a lot for the text however I think only well-placed sounds would count to any real effect (ex : gunshot if there is obviously one yet no unit is seen firing since it's an unseen sniper).

By the way, I am fairly sure voices are just counted as "extras" if they are well-made but can backfire in the professionalism section if they aren't well-made so I wouldn't recommend voices unless they are decent.

EDIT : If it wasn't for the point system and the rules, I would consider amateur voices as a plus unless it's simply too poor.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Cool stuff man looks like I'm going to have a lot of work ahead of me to match this
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:
Laconius wrote:So when you say "a lot of work for a little gain," do you seriously mean that? :P
Well, from what I understood for this specific contest (as opposed to the previous one), Lavarinth decided that modding and special effects should have a limited influence for the score system of text, triggers, mapping and professionalism. They are more to be used as a tie-breaker (although it will still obviously affect the score a bit).

In my mind, it would mean that all those shiny changes and effects would be just a +1 or +2 change in the professionalism section in addition of whatever base professionalism aspects considered (presuming it's 8-9 instead of 10). That's versus having a 10 score in text if your text is 100% proof, well-arranged while if there are lots of text errors, it would rate as 3-5 to me.

Ultimately putting one or two hour(s) of fixing that text would raise that back to 7-9 (a 4 global points gain) vs the many many hours just to get a +1 or +2 "bonus" via modding and such.

EDIT : Note however that's *I* see the score system and understood the rules, ultimately Lavarinth might think otherwise.
Hmm, I may have misunderstood your original intents then.  My apologies. :)

Anyway, here's some gameplay videos before I call it a night:

Ours is a thought-tormented age.
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Wow...

This feels PROFESSIONAL!
Keep this up I love this survival mission even if I know I'll fail it.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

That's a damn good start in many aspects. Seems your project will probably one of the most interesting to play and test.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Wow! :o Impressing... I can't be wrong, but the sound you use when you're announcing new mission objectives, the gameplay and the professionalism of this campaign remembers me of Metathron's Flame Knives and Aeon of the Hawk campaigns. ::)

Anyways, you're putting great work on this project. If I'm right, and it is similar in quality to FK an AOTH, you can expect to be one of the winners of this contest. Keep up the good work, pal! I feel that you've a really good future as campaign maker. :)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

omega20 wrote: Wow! :o Impressing... I can't be wrong, but the sound you use when you're announcing new mission objectives, the gameplay and the professionalism of this campaign remembers me of Metathron's Flame Knives and Aeon of the Hawk campaigns. ::)

Anyways, you're putting great work on this project. If I'm right, and it is similar in quality to FK an AOTH, you can expect to be one of the winners of this contest. Keep up the good work, pal! I feel that you've a really good future as campaign maker. :)
Aye that.  I asked Meta to use some of his sfx aeons ago, so I don't think he'll mind as long as I have him on the credits list.  And thanks for your compliments! =)
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

I was curious why this thread was receiving so much attention.  You appear to be off to an excellent start already.  If this is in fact your first creation, I have to say, you have great potential.  I look forward to playing your finished product.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Wow, the great Desler himself bestows his blessings upon me.  +10 motivation :D

As for my potential, I owe a good portion of it to you for making a variety of memorable campaigns such as Celestial Irruption and Fall From Grace.

SHADDOX: Hey Rond, get me some bacon.
ROND: Get it yourself!

Classic.
Last edited by Laconius on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Laconius, this is your first full fledged campaign?

If so, aside inspiration by Desler, what got you to this point in terms of knowledge with StarEdit?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Hmm, aside from various other maps that I doodled on, I'd have to say that VE is indeed my first attempt at a full fledged campaign.

As for my current skill with StarEdit, I'd probably owe gratitude to CC and SAmods in general for hosting so many interesting campaigns which I promptly dissected after playing.  However, my greatest mapping aspiration comes from none other than The Flame Knives by Metathrom.  Imo, his Protoss structure and dialogue far surpasses that of what Blizzard has had to offer; hence, it's this incredible breakthrough that I am striving to match.  ;) 
omega20

Post by omega20 »

So, Meta has now a strong competitor. ;)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

On second thought, those screenshots don't say nearly as much as a video would.

Here's a small cutscene:

omega20

Post by omega20 »

A question, Laconius: did your campaign has custom music within the maps along the voice effects? If it is so, then I think your maps will be a bit large to download. :P

Besides, I see you're working hard on your project. Your dedication is worth to admire, specially if this is your first campaign. ;) Congratulations! Hoping to see more of this soon! :D

Cheers and have fun!