Quick Note (8/17/08)

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Quick Note (8/17/08)

Post by The Oracle »

With the setback and delay on release of SC2 by Blizzard until Q1 2009 at the earliest, work on LotC (or 'pre' work on LotC) goes slowly since there's no rush, but it goes nonetheless.

Couple quick notes:

Algers voices are now complete and new .mp3's are available on his character page
Zhou voices are now complete and new .mp3's are available on his character page
Matheson voices are now complete and there is a character page for him now with voice samples
Tripp voices are now complete and new .mp3's are available on his character page
Richter voices are now complete and new .mp3's are available on her character page

Zeus Legion is back in full form and some of his recordings for 'Lex' are up on the Lex bio page
Legion is also back in full form with the bio soon to come for the only campaign character named after a forumer

Drealan voices are now complete.  Since Drealan won't have a character page, here's a quick comparison.  Check out 'Old' Drealan from the attached StarCraft 1 LotC campaign and the 'New' Drealan for the upcoming SC2 campaign.

http://sc2.campaigncreations.org/lotc-3/DrealanOld.mp3

http://sc2.campaigncreations.org/lotc-3/DrealanNew.mp3

Keep an eye on the site as you'll see more character bios, sound samples, and music samples pop up over the next 4-6 weeks.
Last edited by The Oracle on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Re: Quick Note (8/17/08)

Post by Falchion »

well, good to see you've put something up.  Now for the next question... (see PM)
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Oi- Updates Tripp's lines, it's far different quality ;)

I'll get you the rest soon.. *Dashes eyes* Complications arose during my time off of work, hah.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Lav,

Oops!!  Sorry about that.  I hadn't worked on mastering them yet.  I'll get a couple up there right now thank you for reminding me!!!

-Oracle
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

El neato, nice progress. I doubt it will be Q1 2009 even to be honest.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Given the changes you made to the campaign since its inception, are you still going to keep the lengthy title of 'Legacy of the Confederation: Galaxy of Fire"?  After all, its no longer about episode 3, its more like just plain LotC - complete. 

Regarding the sound, quite a bit of difference.  Not too effect heavy which is good.  The old one sounds washed out, the new one reverberates with character.  Personally, I'm not going to go too far out of my way to make every sound in my campaign flawless.  In fact, using Audition I'm really just creating scripts to edit sounds automatically for quick conversion, as long as the results are consistent and sound in the area of good-to-great.  (Not trying to encroach on 'professional level' - takes too damn long).  I think the 'Auspex Effect' makes us place entirely too much emphasis on sound, sound background effects, etc, where we should be placing it on story and character development, not to mention gameplay.  So while I am going out of my way to make everything sound magnificent, I won't go unrealistic by making sure every single audio clip holds up to some glorified personification of perfection. 

The actor sounds pretty good for Algers as well.  Looking at the photo, its precisely how I'd expect him to sound.
Last edited by Marco on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Desler wrote: Regarding the sound, quite a bit of difference.  Not too effect heavy which is good.  The old one sounds washed out, the new one reverberates with character.  Personally, I'm not going to go too far out of my way to make every sound in my campaign flawless.  In fact, using Audition I'm really just creating scripts to edit sounds automatically for quick conversion, as long as the results are consistent and sound in the area of good-to-great.  (Not trying to encroach on 'professional level' - takes too damn long).  I think the 'Auspex Effect' makes us place entirely too much emphasis on sound, sound background effects, etc, where we should be placing it on story and character development, not to mention gameplay.  So while I am going out of my way to make everything sound magnificent, I won't go unrealistic by making sure every single audio clip holds up to some glorified personification of perfection. 
True, although I don't think Auspex set out to create perfect sounds. His sound isn't perfect, but it was the first campaign to feature good quality acting without background hisses and shit. He was the first guy to use a cool mic to do the job, but nowadays everyone owns something that adheres to being a studio mic. :) I always used to think that some of Oracle's voices surpassed Auspex's and Blizzard's. The voice of Zuhl always seemed to be the DEFINITIVE Cerebrate for me... Every time I listen to it, I'm like "How the hell did he do that?!"

The new voices sound damn great Oracle, more movie-like than video-game-like, which is good. I'm currently doing some work for you (as you know of course) but I'm going to have a hard time competing with this level.

Looking forward to more of this!
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Des!!

Trust me I know what you mean about the audio.  I've got about 4 and a half hours of dialogue thus far spread over 1,200 .mp3's and you are right, putting in background fx, setting reverb based on the surroundings, or alien fx etc... is unbelievably time consuming.  No light at the end of the tunnel either as I still have about 60% of the dialogue not yet recorded as the roles aren't filled or just not recorded (by me or others).

Still, thanks to Blizzard's predictable release delays, I don't have to work like a dog to get it done in a rush.  I've got probably a good 8 months to do a few here, a few there, and widdle away at them.

Have you found your steady acting group yet?  I'm still on the prowl for quite a few myself.

-E (Oracle)
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Legion!!!

Give me some .mp3's!!!  I want to put up the Legion bio and do the trailer!!!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I wanna be in everyone's steady acting group!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Somewhat.  I got myself, a girl I have known since Elementary school (who has a great singing voice), Aekenon, and Joel.  They are all people I can trust to be around, and since I'm handling my campaign a lot differently then you are (whereas you are doing a lot more work ahead of time), all the voice work will be done on an episode by episode basis.  So right now I'm just trying to set up scripts in Audition to hopefully do most of the work for me.  ;) 

1200 mp3s... ugh.  When did we let this hobby consume us?  Actually, I can't put myself there yet.  It's clearly consuming you.  I don't think I've touched half that many mp3s in my entire campaign career.  Whew, you will probably be known as the hardcore guy in the SC2 community, the man who pulled out all the stops and all that.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Oracle > You said you wanted me to voice a zerg guy, and I said Okay. Then you never sent me a reply. Then I sent a second e-mail asking if there were any updates. And still no reply. Do you still want me to voice him?

As for my voice acting group, I pretty much voice as much as I can on my own. I always have Lav to ask if I need another voice, though, and Legion threw me a few a while back as well but he seems to be rather busy. As I have no time constraints besides my own mental instability I can say I could voice virtually everything male in a campaign of mine if I were to ever make one.

Also I think Q1 for SC2 is an extremely over optimistic estimation.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Doctor D,

I sent you the script segments for that character.  Did you not receive them (eg, I know you haven't seen them but if you check your email box they should be there, I show a send date of 8/3/08 at 11:26pm (CST)).
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I have the e-mail conversation right here. It consists of your original message and my two subsequent messages. I never received any replies. :\