Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

Linaze
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Post by Linaze »

@Jim, that's great to hear!

@Mesk, what's there to be embarrassed about? From what I understand, you're a great modder.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A long time ago I was. Now I'm just all washed up.
TassadarZeratul
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by TassadarZeratul »

I've ran into some significant technical issues. When is the first update due? I will be able to get something ready by then, but it may be a bit lackluster if I can't get GPTP working, or find an iscript workaround for these issues, by then; additionally, I may not actually be able to record a gameplay video. >.>

...I don't know if I'll need to, but could I post screenshots instead of a vid, at least for the first time?

(Also, does anyone know if it's possible to make spells bounce? Specifically, Restore - don't ask.)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

From the OP,
ACTIVITY DATES:
Contest Begins: November 21st, 2011
Contest Entry Cut Off Date: December 31st, 2011
Contest Monthly Updates Start: January 1st, 2012
Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012
And AFAIK bouncing is pure hardcode. You need to somehow "get" a target to have useweapon hit it. Since weapons don't inherit weapons from units this is likely impossible without ASM. Better get your reverse engineering sharpened.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

TassadarZeratul wrote:I've ran into some significant technical issues. When is the first update due? I will be able to get something ready by then, but it may be a bit lackluster if I can't get GPTP working, or find an iscript workaround for these issues, by then; additionally, I may not actually be able to record a gameplay video. >.>

...I don't know if I'll need to, but could I post screenshots instead of a vid, at least for the first time?

(Also, does anyone know if it's possible to make spells bounce? Specifically, Restore - don't ask.)
Video is not mandatory, simply update progress is required. Updates begin next month, you have a month to post one.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
TassadarZeratul

Post by TassadarZeratul »

Oh! I had thought it said a video was needed. Never mind, then!
D.U.P.A.

Post by D.U.P.A. »

First of all, thanks to Linaze I managed to finally register to this forum.

About this contest, I wanted to ask, since there is a lot of rules about story, what about if we make a historical campaign, using historical facts as a story, would that be eligible too?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

There's actually not too many rules in regards to the story, they just all kind of meld to one basic rule: Make up a story, if using existing lore of the respected game, then make sure it doesn't alter the lore. So, yes, that would be eligible.
- - Lavarinth
D.U.P.A.

Post by D.U.P.A. »

Because that would mean not tying to single character, even if you are to fight with the same nation throrough the campaign, where different generals command each battle. Not to mention if you play with different nation. That would be like Total Anihilation Kingdoms campaign, which wasn't bad IMO (however the game had other issues).

And the story then it may not be original, because you would copy things from history books (you will still have to inteprete and write text by yourself). Similar thing if you want to reenact some war in a famous lore (such as Horus Heresy in WH40k for example).
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The rules apply solely to the Blizzard products in regards to lore. If you take StarCraft and make a game about, say, the Bible, you can make it however you want.

If you are talking about lore of either StarCraft, Diablo, or WarCraft, then so long as major events are left unchanged, you are fine, these are detailed in the original post.
- - Lavarinth
Linaze

Post by Linaze »

Simply put: You can interpret an historic event in any way you want and make a campaign about it.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Lavarinth wrote:The rules apply solely to the Blizzard products in regards to lore...

...If you are talking about lore of either StarCraft, Diablo, or WarCraft, then so long as major events are left unchanged, you are fine, these are detailed in the original post.
What about TIME TRAVEL??
D.U.P.A.

Post by D.U.P.A. »

Yes, but what I want to tell, would be following the exact events happened treated as very unoriginal and losing there points, because technically the creator wouldn't do something new and creative, but rather following something already archived and each person could just go to wikipedia or history sites to see the whole story?
High_Zealot
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by High_Zealot »

Hercanic wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:The rules apply solely to the Blizzard products in regards to lore...

...If you are talking about lore of either StarCraft, Diablo, or WarCraft, then so long as major events are left unchanged, you are fine, these are detailed in the original post.
What about TIME TRAVEL??
This makes me wonder, if you were to have a major event changed in your project but later had the characters go back in time and cause the event to happen as it should have, would that be valid?
D.U.P.A.

Post by D.U.P.A. »

And some question about sorting all entries. If some entry doesn't end very good, it will still qualify in this contest (possibly win if being only entry)? And there will be the complete ladder, showing position of each entry, even those who don't qualify for prizes? For example if I'm second from last I'd like to know who is last. :p