Starcraft Universe Trailer

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Starcraft Universe Trailer

Post by DrumsofWar »

The tagline is "Screw Timmy's grandmother." It's not a fully featured MMO but the voyage-based event generation and variety does seem pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtS4Plzhe4
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Starcraft Universe Trailer

Post by IskatuMesk »

Meh.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

I can only imagine how shitty this is going to feel trying to play it online. The engine wasn't designed around direct control and every attempt to do so has shown that off pretty well so far. I still find the monetary funding they are looking for to add basic features to be really fucking hilarious when you are flaunting kit bashing in the same page.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

I'm surprised Blizzard even allowed the Kickstarter; it would've been more expedient to just peel off a wad of money and sign them to make them more professional than risk an Arcade selling point going off the rails. Like I said, the limitations are apparent pretty quickly but they're definitely pushing the engine limits; Blizzard may have slipped them some coding shortcuts too considering they flew the guy out to Irvine a few years ago.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

DrumsofWar wrote:I'm surprised Blizzard even allowed the Kickstarter; it would've been more expedient to just peel off a wad of money and sign them to make them more professional than risk an Arcade selling point going off the rails. Like I said, the limitations are apparent pretty quickly but they're definitely pushing the engine limits; Blizzard may have slipped them some coding shortcuts too considering they flew the guy out to Irvine a few years ago.
I think Blizzard doesn't want to put that much effort publicity-wise into Starcraft 2 versus other games, especially via custom maps or mods that weren't made by them directly.

Also, I believe there was another map that Blizzard didn't do a thing about their Kickstarter.

Ultimately, any real project IS costy in man hours and Blizzard didn't release the Marketplace. Kickstarter becomes the only justification that some people would spend tons of time on a SC2 map or mod as opposed to a new indie game to sell on Steam or something.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

This project hardly touches what is possible in sc2. It's just yet another generic TPSRPG. They don't even have any custom assets. I mean, it's not like anyone expected they actually spend that scamstarter money on the actual project or anything, so there's no harm done. But it just goes to show how creatively bankrupt the Blizzard community is when this is still all they can come up with.

Props to them for keeping up with it for 4 years, but 4 months in the UDK would have yielded both a far more impressive project and a project that would actually be playable on its platform.

/e

Also,
Kickstarter becomes the only justification that some people would spend tons of time on a SC2 map or mod
1.) sc2 doesn't have mods.

2.) W&M? Your micro map? You made a kickstarter for those? No. At no point does a kickstarter become necessary for custom content. Only in today's America where instant gratification and greed are the name of the game do people magically think mappers should be paid for something. That is why you have a generic TPS instead of something actually interesting, because no one's doing it for the project anymore.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

i would like a kickstarter fund for SC2 punch the baby
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You've got my support!
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Mucky wrote:i would like a kickstarter fund for SC2 punch the baby
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening!
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

btw i will never make the map

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

but you will make CFA right
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

blizzard censors will never allow it
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I remember actually contacting Kickstarter in relations to mods since the project sparked my curiosity. They basically stated "we'll take anything but the moment we get copyright infringement we're taking it down." So, perhaps the lawyers were just too slow trying to figure out what to do with the project.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

So this project died is that confirmed? Or just in hiatus?
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Like a good little kickstarter project, they have shit all for organization. They have both a kickstarter page and a website and rarely use either. Instead they post on facebook. They started open alpha early 2012 and supposedly only just got past it this month. Their forum is also full of bots.

They gave these guys $85,000 USD.