Micro and Tactics with Editor

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: Micro and Tactics with Editor

Post by Xenon »

This is something I've been working on for weeks, and it will probably take at least a few more weeks to polish it to my liking. I finally got it to where most of the mechanics seem to work consistently, though.

It's a unit that deploys in the specified direction, and can fire a shockwave-like projectile ONLY in that direction. It's actually based off my concept for a siege unit for a custom campaign race I thought of years ago. I would have made it Protoss (the original race would have been made of black crystal-like material) but there aren't enough Protoss team-colored models and proper doodads to make a decent kitbash.

Scanning for targets was a pain, and it might cause a bunch of lag if there's a lot of them with dozens of units in their line of fire, but it's built to respond correctly to upgrades. The range, attack speed, and probably radius of the shot can be altered for scenario purposes.

Edit: Ricky, does the map use actual upgrades or catalog modifications? Upgrades have an unspecified limit of 127 levels, and dont work at all if you try to give them more. I had to give it a range bonus of 3 per level to make it reach across the diagonal of a maximum size map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Nice concept.

I'm willing to send you the m3's for player color protoss units. I changed all their glows and such to be player color, like alpha.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Yeah, those are nice, but I had been looking for doodads and civilian/uncommon Protoss units that have any team color at all. Even exempting that, there are just a few decent models like the warp core, and most of them don't have a bottom. Some of the terrain objects are nice too but have a ton of polies, if that matters.

I didn't want to add size to Ricky's maps with models, but compared to the likely performance hit of a unit made of 30+ actors it probably wouldn't be too bad.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Personally, I don't mind adding some models and files occasionally and all. I mostly didn't want to start adding models/files for everything and anything. I don't want to be forced into making a mod file and having those dependency issues.

In your case, it's more than justifiable considering you would need 30+ actors to do the job otherwise. Although I would have accepted without that detail anyway.

It's more Mesk's models (ex : WoW ones, etc.) that would be like 10-40 MB a chunk compressed that I wouldn't want to import.

Yes, the map supports upgrades up to Lv99 (mostly due to how I compress the # of upgrades in the bank) for any upgrade. It's pretty much the main way to buff units in my map. In addition, if you have upgrades that have Set changes, my map properly reverse them which the SC2 base engine doesn't do if you set the upgrade to lv0.

The map can also have catalog edits on a scenario-basis but they will have to be pre-hardcoded and it will be hard to test before hardcoding. I would need to add some sort of temporary catalog edit by the player if not a full-scale support + bank load/save support at some point in the future.

I am open for more of your stuff Quantum. In addition, I can add other stuff of yours such as new researches for existing units or other changes of some kind.

As for Mesk's m3, I would like to know the average compressed size of it.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

To be honest, I don't even know how to make a custom model. I have Blender, but I'd have to look into that plugin, and get the version that actually works with it. I don't feel like dumping hundreds of dollars for 3DSMax or whatever.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I can guarantee you basically no one who ever does mods actually legally owns 3ds max sans the extremely rare person who actually qualifies for a student version.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So far I have been lazy to post my updates.

However, here's some upcoming updates I actually made in my local non-uploaded version for next Saturday :

- Added research to grant more range to the Viper's Abduct (up to 40 Range).
- Added research to allow Viper's Abduct to targer Heroes and invulnerable units.
- Added research to grant more move speed to the Viper.
- Modified the custom unit "Flying Saws" to be properly abductable if the Abduct research to abduct invulnerable units is on.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Here's a preview, still lots to do on this thing. The Blender plugin works quite well for exporting but some models fail to import; I'm making a bunch of shapes from scratch instead.

It's probably best to give the thing spell damage so armor and hardened shield don't react to it incorrectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Xenon wrote:Here's a preview, still lots to do on this thing. The Blender plugin works quite well for exporting but some models fail to import; I'm making a bunch of shapes from scratch instead.

It's probably best to give the thing spell damage so armor and hardened shield don't react to it incorrectly.
Shiny.

Also feel free to give it spell damage if it make things simpler.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xenon wrote:Here's a preview, still lots to do on this thing. The Blender plugin works quite well for exporting but some models fail to import; I'm making a bunch of shapes from scratch instead.

Dude... that's better than basically every kitbash I have ever seen on Mapster, haha. The key part is that it looks clean. And your player color looks better on the new pieces than any new model on mapster. You have this arbiter someone made there... and it was a crime against humanity.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Haha, thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I intend to wrap existing textures instead of modifying them at all, so that helps it stay consistent (and save file space).

Is the arbiter the one that looks like someone scribbled a Sharpie on it? http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/hammer ... l-version/

And Ricky, I found that tank model you were wondering about. http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/arclite-siege-tank/
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yup, that's the one! It's stupidly high poly, too, like it has hundreds of needless subdivisions. Its proportions are also really off. We were just going to reverse engineer it and rework it or use it as a basis to build a new mesh.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Xenon wrote:Is the arbiter the one that looks like someone scribbled a Sharpie on it? http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/hammer ... l-version/
wtf

did the original arbiter even have that

LET'S SEE

the scribble lines are only present on the back, they're more of a gray, and they tapir off to a point

how do you go from this to THAT
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

As is often the case with these remakes of old content, very little effort was made to reference old content. I think the only decent rehash was a Valkyrie, and even then the engine particles were clearly limited by the tools at the time. The Immortal Dragoon is okay, but not modified to be proportionate.

Gna's models turned out pretty well. I prettied up his carrier a bit and made it fit in with the existing protoss.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Mucky wrote: did the original arbiter even have that
Nearly every single Protoss units in Broodwar have tribal/tiger-stripe patterns in their paint-scheme.

Blizzard not looking at the source material retconned this for SC2 so we ended up with units looking like they are being gold-plated by 50 cent.

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka