Micro and Tactics with Editor

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Micro and Tactics with Editor

Post by IskatuMesk »

In that case, they probably simply lack entries. Gives you a higher chance of winning overall.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Anyway, we will see how the contest ultimately ends.

In terms of major changes that I might eventually do to Micro and Tactics :

1) Tournament Mode

Something that Krazy suggested me and that I am strongly considering. It mostly boils down to imitate a series of scenario (usually PvP) to determine a winning team. Here's the version I am thinking.

As the host pick "Tournament Mode", they will be presented with this menu :

- Load tournament preset (bank or not)
- Manual scenario picks for tournament

"Load tournament preset" would allow to pick either a hardcoded or a bank preset of scenarios to be part of the tournament. Bank scenarios would obviously be able to be part of a tournament preset.

"Manual scenario picks" basically would allow you to pick scenarios one-by-one to be part of the tournament if you don't want to pick a preset. That will also allow to save it as a preset into your bank *IF* your preset doesn't contain any bank scenarios from other players (but your own bank scenarios is okay).

This imply you have to pick the wanted difficulty (or variant) for each scenario.

Regardless of either, if PvP, the host will have to put players to two different teams that will be constant (as in no player from another team can fill the other) until the tournament ends. It will track the team score from scenario to scenario.

2) Catalog change support (mostly unit/ability/weapon/whatever edits)

Basically, it boils down on heavy use of the Catalog edit which basically would allow you to edit a LOT of unit/ability/weapon/whatever of stuff on a player-basis.

Examples :
- Setting Marines to be 240 life/shields/energy for Team 1 but only 120 life for Team 2.
- Setting a High Templar's energy regeneration to triple or an Ultralisk's Life Regeneration to 50.
- Modify the Reaper's weapons to have 20 range but 2x slower attack speed.
- Modify the Yamato ability to be cast instantly but costing 300 energy and dealing 1000 damage.
- Setting the Permanent Cloak buff (or any other) to also grant +100 life or such.
- Due to being able to change requirements thus disabling forcefully some abilities or unit trains.
- Technically, I can also allow unit renames but unlikely will due to text using MUCH more bank space and the obvious abuse from it.

3) Grant buffs to units

Basically being able to grant X buff to Y unit-type for Z players.

Examples :
- Grant custom auras to some hero.
- Grant a custom +life/+energy buffs to Marines.
- Grant Permanent Invisibility to Zealots.
- Grant Timed Life (die in X seconds) to all of a player's units.
- Grant debuffs of various sorts.

4) Scenario notepad load/save

Basically it would allow you to save/load scenarios based on copy-pasted text that will keep in a text file in Windows or on Mac.

The #1 advantage is being able to keep scenarios in some fashion beyond the 30 scenarios limit in your bank. An extra advantage is it might allow you to keep less important scenarios as "Notepad"-style while more important ones into your bank file.

It pretty much boil on showing the scenario text in multiple editboxes (up to 255 characters each) that you can copy-paste from SC2 into a text file (using Notepad or something) for saving.

Then later on (either in gaming mode or editor mode), you can recopy/paste the characters from Notepad into the game's editboxes then press "Load" and it will read and extract your "Notepad bank" scenario.

I expect the average scenario to take between 2 and 4 editboxes' worth of text.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That's a lot of boiling.

The notepad idea is pretty neat. I didn't think that kind of thing would be easy to accomplish.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:That's a lot of boiling.

The notepad idea is pretty neat. I didn't think that kind of thing would be easy to accomplish.
It's easier since by default if you click on a sc2 editbox for the first time, it selects the entire text thus it's easier to copy-paste from sc2.

Also I intend to mostly just output the bank data in the editboxes instead of writing it into bank files.

The only downside is you can only hold up to 255 characters (not 2000+) without issues.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

Heh, they used like the first scenario I made as the preview image of the map in the blog post.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Krazy wrote:Heh, they used to like the first scenario I made as the preview image of the map in the blog post.
Yeah, I find it a bit funny.

Oh right, forgot to post my new update finally done one month later!

Since the Rock the Cabinet is still NOT finished in terms of selecting a winner ... it kind of "lock" me from modifying my original map, I have to upload the modified as a "non-contest" separate map.

Version 1.4 :

45 new permanent scenarios were added into the map.
31 of them by Krazy.379 US, 4 by Photophoenix US, 3 by Ssilencer US, 3 by Aquabats US, 2 bt SteakOfPwnag US and 2 by XCONXMARINE US.

Queens no longer cost vespene gas (150/50 to 150/0)
Omegalisk can now actually die (no longer stay alive at 3 hp while getting shot).
Spire can now properly morph into a Greater Spire.
Banelings now have their ability back to explode anywhere rather than against an enemy.
Added more HotS Baneling researches in the research list.
Baneling's HotS Rapid Metamorph research no longer remove morph gas cost.
Baneling's HotS Corrosive Acid research can go up to Lv99.
The Numpad's Delete now works for deleting units in Editor Mode regardless of Numpad On/Off.
Battlecruiser's Life changed from 450 to 550 to reflect melee data.
Added special research to increase Immortal's attack range by 1 per Level (max +99).
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Version 1.5 :

Burrowing Queens no longer cost gas mistakenly.
Added pre-settable researches to allow instant train and no requirements for Protoss Units.
Added pre-settable researches to allow instant researches for all 3 races.
Added research to grant +0.5 Speed to Mutalisk per research Level.
Swann's Flaming Betty Turret now have the Structure attribute (mostly for enemy Reapers' D-8 Charge).
Nova and Tosh can now properly use normal Nukes instead of just Hero Nukes.
Added dummy weapon icon to Rip-Field Generators to make their purpose and damage more obvious.
Many Rip-Field Generators together no longer destroy various missiles.
Rooted (as opposed to Burrowed) Swarm Hosts now have a Visible Button to make it more obvious that they are visible even while rooted.
A new upgrade was added to upgrade campaign variants of Swarm Hosts' Root ability into Burrow (burrowed must be detected).
Phoenixes are now corrected to require a psi field if warped from a Super Warp Gate.
Fixed and added Korthal Palace Turrets in the "Other" list of units.
Fixed and added Korthal Trees, Folliage, Flag and Podium and in the "Other" list of units.
Fixed and added Lava Crabs in the "Other" list of units.
Terran Building Armor research now affect Korthal Palace Turrets.
Added various destructible debris (in "Other") that are destroyed together if one is destroyed.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

And so, it seems it's Blizzard that will make a first pre-cut of 10 maps before players do vote at July 8th. Voting people have to pick their 5 most favorite maps out of the 10 Blizzard pre-cut. The voting time will be of 7 days.

http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/blog/146 ... n-7-3-2014

So, we will see if Micro and Tactics will be in the first 10 according to Blizzard.

It will also be a revealing time to see if they pick new and "unpopular" maps or if they will go just for popular maps or some mix of the two.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

sorry ricky, a bunch of casuals beat you. :(
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:sorry ricky, a bunch of casuals beat you. :(
It seems Blizzard's criteria was it must be more "flashy" overall at the ultra-quick glance. With a quick talk with Krazy, perhaps Blizzard also favored using the sc2 engine in less conventional ways (as in not just mobas and such).

I am at least very happy Blizzard didn't pick any popular maps (or at least no ultra-popular maps). I guess that's the #1 reason they did that 10 maps pre-cut which they might not initially intended to do so.

Oh well, I don't mind too much since I kind of expected that result. Also I admit that my "starting point" into my map might not be top encouraging for younger players.

At the very least, I am no longer stuck having a non-contest version which would have some conflicting bank data with the contest map. Thus I can more add stuff without worry since I can just take down the non-contest version.

As for the 10 entries, I root more for the "Iron Fire" map since I did play it and it's a well-made "Mech Warrior" type of map while trying to make it work the best possible in a SC2 engine.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

New version uploaded :

Added 4 new permanent scenarios made by Krazy.379 US.
Added 27 new scenarios in judgement made by Photophoenix US.
The map now currently have about 33 PvE scenarios and 77 PvP scenarios in total.

Scourges now properly morph if you have a Greater Spire instead of a Spire.
Added Protoss Dark Archon unit into the map.
Added Pokemaster custom unit into the map.
Added Troop Pusher custom unit into the map.
You can now see the various HotS campaign researches' buttons properly on the various Mutalisk variants.
Primal Mutalisk should now gain advantage of all HotS campaign Mutalisk upgrades.
Stone Zealot now properly gain Protoss weapon and armor upgrades.

Extra notes :
1) "In Judgement" scenarios are added into the map but could be removed at a later date. In general, I just didn't bother to check them in-depth but they clearly doesn't contain anything that could somehow get my map banned by Blizzard.

2) Dark Archon unit has all 3 spells from BW, Mind Control must be enabled via researches. However, nothing to merge from Templars into Dark Archons yet. Didn't use any custom model so it's a reddish Archon.

3) The Pokemaster unit is essentially the same from W&M (except it can have Charge). Zealot-based, 15 shields, 20 life, shields take 1 damage max except from spells (ex : Storm). Deals 1x2 damage every 0.0625 second.

4) The Troop Pusher is essentially a Marine (can have Stimpacks) with a weaker attack but pushes enemy units by 1 range per attack. Best vs melee units.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Yet another new version uploaded :

There is now a new editor option to delete all unselectable units.
Now almost all units and structures are available to be added via the formerly empty "All Units" list.
Many openable gate and door structures are now selectable so they can be properly used in scenarios.

Added new custom structures : Healing Tower, Shield Recovery Tower and Energy Recovery Tower.
New researches to increase the starting energy, recovery range and recovery power of all Recovery Towers.
A new research to grant between +0.5 to +49.5 shield regeneration to all starting units of a player.
A new research to grant between +0.5 to +49.5 energy regeneration to all starting units of a player.
There is now victory and defeat detection on Dark Archon's Mind Control.
Dark Archon's Mind Control's range reduced from 11 to 8.
Dark Archon's Mind Control now convert all units inside a transport instead of killing them.
Dark Archon's Mind Control can now target neutral units.
A new research to allow Dark Archon's Mind Control to convert enemy structures.
A new research to give Mind Control immunity to Dark Archons.
Dark Archon's Tactical AI was changed to High Templar so it would at least use Feedback somewhat.
A new research to prevent protoss shield regeneration.
Raven's Seeker Missiles can now target neutral units.
Kerrigan (Tyrador variant, id "Kerrigan") is no longer invulnerable.

Side Note : I also updated the normal version (as in "contest" version) to the same data as the non-contest. Might eventually get of the non-contest eventually.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So for those that like potential drama, it seems one of the top 10 maps by Blizzard that qualified had Kirby Super Star music which is technically copyright infringement which the contest shouldn't accept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zWm9ji1eI

Personally, I avoided copyright infringement if only to avoid getting my map somehow banned period. I don't feel too strongly about the whole issue but it can make discussion anyway.

Although a certain Bounty mapmaker person is clearly annoyed about it since he would have sent his own maps to the contest otherwise it seems.

I am curious if the offending map somehow go into the top 3, it could look very bad when the money truly hits in.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So I forgot to post a map update :

Added a new official PvP scenario called "Dark Archon's Mind Games".

Burrowed Roaches no longer gain an automatic +5 life regeneration.
A new research grant +1 life regeneration/level for burrowed roaches.
A new research grant +0.25 speed/level for burrowed roaches.
Roach's Organic Caparace and Tunneling Claws researches now affect Primal Roaches.
New researches to change the starting amount of Minerals for Mineral Fields.
New research to prevent Terran Structures from lifting off.
New research to prevent units' energy regeneration.
Impaler Colony structure now have a Hold Fire ability to prevent them firing automatically.
Infestor's Neural Parasite no longer kill off the target after the Neural Parasite time expires.
Nova's Domination caps the number of dominated units to the number of owned Novas instead of 1 max dominated unit globally.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Newest release :

Added 3 new scenarios in judgement made by Photophoenix US.

Extraction of Bank Files are set to extract faster.
New special research to add a set amount of time before a player's starting units automatically die.
New special researches to increase or decrease a player's starting units' attack speed.
New special researches to increase or decrease a player's starting units' move speed.
New special research to allow the Medivac's Emergency Thrusters.
Extra option "Delete Unselectable Units" now properly delete all unselectable units in games with 2+ players.
New research to make Thors spawn with the Collector's Edition model.
Players with WoL Collector's Edition no longer automatically spawn Thors with the CE Model.

Side Note :
The non-contest version will be cut out next Saturday and only the official version will be left remaining.