Micro and Tactics with Editor

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Micro and Tactics with Editor

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So I am happy with something new (either in patch 2.1.9 or a recent patch) :

100% custom debug messages that can be saved in a text file *AND* without a header.

In other words, it means I can write triggers to intentionally write a bank scenario into a XML-friendly format to add the hardcoded version into the map WITHOUT trying to always try to keep my C# program up to date + move bank files, etc.

To me, that's a godsend since it would be fairly easy to add the triggers. I also ensured it correctly accepts <, >, /, ", = characters.

In addition :
1. I could add counter-check triggers if I already added the scenario.
2. Set a few specific values without manually poking the XML.
3. If I want, it makes it much easier to transform the current scenario XML into a more packed version + faster to read.
4. If I want, it makes it much easier to also transform the current scenario XML into a more compressed version internally.

The main drawback is how you can't hide the custom debug messages to show in the middle-left. Not sure if those triggers works in multiplayer either.

Example of to setup the trigger :

Debug - Set the output file for debug message type Type 01 to "DEBUGTEST.txt"
Debug - Disable debug message type Type 01 //Required to not horribly slowdown in the debug window.

General - For each integer intLoop from 1 to 10000 with increment 1, do (Actions)
Actions
Debug - Display (Combine ((Text(intLoop)), " : <BOO value="blah"></BOO>")) as debug output using Type 01, and Do display it in the game window
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So I took some small glances in terms of adding Renee's War3 Mod data into Micro and Tactics.

Odds are ill probably use directly Renee's War3 mod which is more or less 35 MB. After checking the imported files, I notice there are a few too many essential files that might be missing in the Blizzard's official War3 assets.

35 MB is considerable but at least it's the same data that is already used (thus downloaded) in newer "War3" maps for SC2.

Initial details ill have to do :
- Add the unit IDs and research IDs for bank saving purposes (much, much easier with the debug message finding)
- Group the war3 main units/structures for easy access in the editor part of the map.
- Group the war3 main researches for easy adding in the editor part of the map.
- For all sc2 races, show the 3rd and 4th resources since Renee binded gold and wood to them.
- For all wc3 races, show the 1st and 2nd resources (minerals/vespene).
- Add "researches" to set war3 gold and war3 lumber for players (similar for mineral/vespenes ones)
- Reset whatever camera changes the ability mod does.
- Since the war3 data replaces armor strings. Thus "biological" for "unarmored", "light" for "medium" and so on, ill have to modify the text to overwrite to the SC2 original ones. Also try to modify the other wc3 strings referring to armor type. I want SC2 stuff to take priority over WC3 in my map even if there are inconsistencies WC3-wise.

Nices to have :
- Since Renee added a "Change Race UI" action, probably add a research to change between SC2 races' and WC3 races'.
- Some special research to drop most WC3 units' HP similar to SC2 units'. So you can put a 125 HP Firebat vs a 80 HP Footman instead of a 420 HP Footman.
- Editor section to easily add item "units" (ex : Town Portal and so on).
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

420 xD

35mb is like a two-second download in a first world country.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:420 xD

35mb is like a two-second download in a first world country.
Personally, it would take me like 35 seconds.

However, the problem is there is often that person or two that have very very slow internet. Then it become having to wait 20 minutes for said person or put away the map if he didn't pre-download it.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Started to poke more into integrating Renee's War3 assets and it's mostly UI-related stuff to reverse that I have problems with :

My higher worry
1) UI hotkeys such as Select Army (ex : F4 instead of F2) , 1st to 5th hero (F1 to F3 instead of F5+), Idle Worker ( , instead of F1) that I want to reverse. Afraid it's likely to be in the UI data files that I barely know anything about.

Less critical
2) Reshow SC2 Hero icons UI since the mod uses a shinier War3 looking one but the problem is the hotkeys are wrong the second you mix SC2 and WC3 heroes.
3) Preferably a way to show the Hero XP bar in a non-ugly way for Terran/Zerg/Protoss while it shows right for war3 races.
4) I reversed the wireframe modifications from Renee's to SC2 standard ones. However, if you mass select war3 heroes, it's not easy to know where's your mana bar at on the hero's icon.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Coming along slowly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

QuantumSuccess
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Looking damn good!
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So on a side note, I made a first version to output the XML of a scenario (likely bank scenario) via the debug message to file feature in the sc2 editor. The biggest advantage is being able to just pick a specific bank scenario to output the XML to copy-paste into the map's User Types XML.

I could extend it to mass output all of a bank's scenario to XML. All without having to update my C# program in the future.

If the debug message to file action works in multiplayer, I could potentially just mass output every bank scenario that doesn't have a name that already match with an existing hardcoded one's name.

At this time, the triggers are on a side test map but I can easily put them into the main map when ill care again in the next few days or so.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I managed to reverse the UI hotkeys, basically it's under menu > Modules > Text (F8) to overwrite the text including the hotkeys of pretty much anything.

It's "UI" in 1st listbox and "Hotkey" in 2nd listbox to filter it to the wanted text strings to change.

I guess my only concern left might be to show SC2 Hero icons again although it was never that important in Micro and Tactics anyway.

EDIT : Seems I managed to find a way to add the SC2 Heros into the War3 Hero Frame. Overall, initial results seems promising in terms of hero removals, hero changing ownership and such things that impact the War3 Hero Frame.

EDIT 2 : A new potential problem would be to set the experience points on the various SC2 units so that a War3 hero doesn't gain a small 15 XP off SC2 heroes or other powerful units.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Yeah, still working on this. Had a headache trying to get the spinning vanes animation to work independent of the morph anim so I can transition into a spin down anim when it completes a rotation into the right position, instead of making it spaz out when the morph anim starts. Seems to be working fine for the most part...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

As a quick note, I released a new version of Micro and Tactics with access to War3 units only on the NA server.

Although it's kind of minimal since I didn't add any easy access to war3 units in a specific War3 unit list. Worse is not adding researches to some list so it will be pain to add any War3 researches until I get around to it. Some non-breaking bugs as well.
Xenon wrote:Yeah, still working on this. Had a headache trying to get the spinning vanes animation to work independent of the morph anim so I can transition into a spin down anim when it completes a rotation into the right position, instead of making it spaz out when the morph anim starts. Seems to be working fine for the most part...
Hmm, out of curiosity how close you are to finishing it?
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

That's hard to say. I'm pretty satisfied with the model and animations, but might try to add a few particles, and I still need a few attachment points and other stuff. Then I still need to finish up the mechanics in the data editor.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

New uploaded M&T version :

- Added list of Warcraft 3 Human researches.
- Added special researches to add starting Warcraft 3 gold and lumber to players.
- Added special research to modify the starting Level of Warcraft 3 heroes.
- The War3's upkeep will be always turned off.
- When changing/restarting a scenario, it will now properly reset the Warcraft 3 gold and lumber.

The research lists for Orc, Undead and Night Elves will come eventually.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

After some Storm data-mining it looks like some functionality in LoTV will make the unit's implementation easier. Stuff like allowing Search Areas to use a rectangle and possibly fixing the Arc validator that doesn't currently work.

Unfortunately they still "cheat" a little by using triggers to assist certain things, like setting an impact point at the map edge without persistent effects throwing off the angle. I managed to get around this with data alone but it's a pain.

I still need to know, do you use the "hostile" slot for computer player 15? The current implementation uses that to create dummy targets so it can be ordered to fire continuously, and it won't work if the owner of the unit is the hostile player or allied to it. It may not matter though.

Edit: The odd thing is that I wrote a function before that projects an impact point on the map edge, and my function is much shorter than the one Blizzard uses. Go figure.