WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Post by Church »

I do, but it could have been explained a lot better than it was. I don't think the game should have to sacrifice logic for the gameplay, or vice versa. It shouldn't really have to sacrifice anything for anything. There could have been other ways to do it, probably.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

How could you explain "guys, we can just fly over these asteroids," "no! We must not! By the gods the asteroids are there, invisibly!"

It's not explained because the asteroids are assumed there and there would be no need to comment on it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tf-
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by tf- »

I don't really mind the obstructions they used, though floating debris/junk would have been more interesting, it's just:
1. "Ah, boundless, limitless space..."
2. Cannot exit a maze that uses maybe 10% of the map's real estate
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lavarinth wrote:How could you explain "guys, we can just fly over these asteroids," "no! We must not! By the gods the asteroids are there, invisibly!"

It's not explained because the asteroids are assumed there and there would be no need to comment on it.
Well, there's this neat thing called level design, but I'm betting that the weekend it took tony to make this campaign didn't have much consideration about that.

I mean, the campaign is already A-move from A to B, why not... have diversity.
Church

Post by Church »

Lavarinth wrote:How could you explain "guys, we can just fly over these asteroids," "no! We must not! By the gods the asteroids are there, invisibly!"
That's not what I meant, I meant more as a comment the design itself as explaining why we couldn't move vertically over the blockages and stuff. I didn't really assume they were there, I guess I'm just dumb or not that kind of gamer? I didn't mind the gameplay of the level itself, it was pretty fun, if kind of easy (to be fair I was playing on normal).
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

There's a ton of unused buttons in the game data that reference things that could have been, like morphs to Ghost Kerrigan and flying Kerrigan, and banelings that leave pools that damage and slow units. Haven't poked through everything yet, though.

As for the Defiler model: link
The creator seems to think it will get an official texture. But we'd probably have to wait for the second expansion.

And I had to look through the voice credits. Frank Welker as Zurvan, lol.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Excellent.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

The dot banelings were in the one boss fight weren't they?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I dug through the sounds and found some lasery sounds for Narud (for his unit were he to ever have one I guess, probably something they couldn't do in the weekend they reserved for the campaign's development). Incidentally, these are amongst the few sounds that aren't blatant copypasta from a commercial cd (at least not one I've seen; I only have older cds, like Hollywood Edge, which Blizzard does use religiously). It's funny, because most of the Protoss are using commercial stuff 1:1 (hello Immortal) and the Zerg had no effort put into their sounds at all. Yet they have some actually quite decent unused stuff in here.

Will probably see use in lotv I guess.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

I have a bad feeling they'll skimp even more on the sounds for the Protoss expansion and just lean back even more heavily on cliche like with the Night Elves in World of Warcraft.