StarCraft II Map Publishing - A Primer

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: StarCraft II Map Publishing - A Primer

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote:It's unlikely a map will be much smaller than 2MB; the terrain texture map by itself can be several megs. Does anyone else find that as funny as I do?
Yeah, I did. For example, blizzard  melee maps are like between 800 KB and 1.2 MB. When you look at them, you even wonder what justify such size vs the terrain and such that was used especially when they are small maps (the 1v1 and 2v2 ones).

Heck, I did even download a bigger melee map made by some random guy and it was 4 MB. Yep, just a melee map without imported files. It's not a triggered map. Just a melee 240x240 (epic size) map or so.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

In light of this unforgivable content filter, I have uninstalled the beta and canceled my preorder. I will not condone their censorship.
No more humans, please.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Make sure to let them know on the forums. I haven't seen any censorship complaints on the general forums yet.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The size is larger because the map mesh is MUCH higher in polies than wc3. It makes perfect sense and is the natural evolution of the game. I imagine that if I attempted something like LoL's terrain (which btw is impossible in sc2 because of the insane cliff limit), I could probably push the mesh size up to 4-5 megs fairly easily.
Master Jademus Sreg

I can't post on the SC2 beta forums; I don't have an active profile. I didn't get on battlenet after the most recent server reset, so I don't have a beta profile, which means I can't post.

I do, however, find it suspicious that there aren't any topics about it on those forums.
No more humans, please.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard's been deleting posts a lot from what I hear.
Master Jademus Sreg

Sadly, that's not actually surprising.
No more humans, please.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

WB wrote: But its totally cool. The good news is, you guys are bunch of modders. Remember that? When the fuck has a limitation ever bothered you before? This is the point where you start thinking about tools that need to be made, start making contacts, begin planning a project that will work around the limitations - as you have always done. Yea, there are going to be features that suck, there are going to be things you fucking HATE. But whats new? We do this because its a hobby, at least thats why I got into. The tool has never been perfect, because its never been a tool made for us, its never been easy for us, but thats not why we started.
That would be assuming everything worked like it's supposed to. I can only assume the editor actually works the way it's supposed to without half of the stuff in it stripped-out for beta deployment.

The library that they DID include with the trigger editor has working functions in it that can't be called to because someone didn't finish that part of the coding.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote: I do, however, find it suspicious that there aren't any topics about it on those forums.
There's a thread in map development I posted in, but I've never seen Blizzard answer anything in that forum. Not many guys in the general forum are interested in map/mod creation and are mostly complaining about lag and balance, and spamming text-images of Grimace.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

You're all far too negative with the "I'm not buying StarCraft II!" You will and you know it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Master Jademus Sreg

I do not take my word lightly; so long as they insist on using content filters, I shall not purchase the game.

EDIT: Nor shall I pirate it, in case that wasn't clear.
No more humans, please.
Black Dream
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Black Dream »

IskatuMesk wrote: I dunno man. We are modders, but we're also human. You can only throw so much shit at us before we snap.

I've also confirmed that the guy running b.net 2.0's team is the same guy who was running Xbox Live.
[imgwh 230x172]http://gaming.freedomblogging.com/files ... vid230.jpg[/imgwh]

Take a good look, gentlemen. This is the face of your destroyer.
Somehow i expected the Great Destroyer to look different.
As the size of the explosion increases, the number of social situations it can not solve approaches zero.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Lavarinth wrote: You're all far too negative with the "I'm not buying StarCraft II!" You will and you know it.
I'm buying StarCraft.  Funny how I don't hear you complaining about me being too positive.  Hippocrit.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I made a thread on the general discussion forums. Feel free to weigh in; it will probably be buried fast.

Edit: aaaand it's been trolled already. Go figure.
Last edited by Xenon on Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jademus Sreg

Most of the responses are in support of our position. That's a good sign.
No more humans, please.