Contest's Campaigns

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Contest's Campaigns

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Desler wrote: Glad you are still reviewing even if you don't post the logs.  I was going to suggest that anyway.  It's too bad about Oracle, although I'm impressed to see that the rules of the contest are not exempting anyone, even respected authors. 
Basically, there was a little something that prevented me from accessing the forums thus posting no updates for a while but I was still reviewing the campaigns in the background nonetheless.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Seriously deadlines are deadlines, this is just getting silly now.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Delays, on my account, don't account of 10 points out of professionalism. There are multiple aspects in professionalism, but I'm sure Oracle is aware that such delays will truly hinder his opportunity to place in top three, so I don't believe it will be an issue to post the reviews.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

'Making deadlines' shouldn't be any part of the point rating system, it should just be expected.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

Krazy wrote: Total days allotted all other candidates: 55 + 2 for extended deadline

Additional days past extended deadline granted to oracle: so far: 11

If the extra days are thought of as a percentage of the total contest, that comes out to: 19.3% (about 20%, or 1/5th of the entire contest). 

I would also like to point out that there was an entire second contest created specifically for people who did not have the time to complete the 4-years contest.
Lavarinth wrote: Wondering why this [the JZ] contest was created? This contest is for all those who find themselves unable to have the time to create a campaign, ...

So there's at least five things that really bother me about this:

1) There was already a 2-day extension on the 4-years contest for last minute adjustments.

2)  There was a separate contest created specifically for people without the time for the 4-years contest.

3) Oracle did not release *any* screenshot or any visual representation of his campaign at all before *every other entry was submitted publically*.  The problems here should be abundantly evident. 

4) Oracle himself did not make the announcement that his project was going to be late, instead the head judge did so for him.  That is pretty much the sketchiest thing ever.

5) Judging had already started when the "late submission" announcement was made.

I'm tempted to make some joke that we should change the name to the "5-years between" contest what with the extra fifth of time given.

Personally I feel like these shenanigans are an insult to everyone who submitted in this contest.  Oracle can threaten to not release the last map or not, I feel like some people are probably thinking these same things but refuse to say them because they don't want to look like a jerk.  The campaign itself I still want to play, but I feel like with the "dead"line is fading faster and faster from view and becoming a joke. 
To be honest, I think the joke is on the judges. I have no problem with Oracle handing this in late, knowing that he is almost guaranteed to not make the top three. However, the leniency has gotten to the point where the judges for future contest won't be taken as seriously when they give a deadline. Contestents will find excuses to throw at the judges so that they might have more time to the point where the dealine will be seemingly indefinite. This situation isn't at all hindering to Oracle's reputation, but the reputation of the judges and any future contests this website will host (if any).

Once again, to all contestents (including Oracle): best of luck in the judging!
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I don't see why you're all so antsy and uppity when I've stated multiple times he will be docked for being late alongside wont reach the top three positions. So let me make it simple for you all: Shut it, because I'm tired of your unnecessary bickering that has been already taken care of. Some of you are acting like children who want their candy when I already said you're getting it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Well, since it's pretty much settled, I guess ill go on and post my testing logs of those I tested ...
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Laconius' Vile Egression's testing log posted :

http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/http://www.campaigncreations.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=29093#p29093

And I won't be doing more testing for today and the next two days. Although, when ill come back to it, even more paper will be sacrificed for testing.
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

You guys should play mine, even though it's one of the longer ones (like 20 missions)!   ;D
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: You guys should play mine, even though it's one of the longer ones (like 20 missions)!   ;D
Don't worry. I'll get to yours. My internet finally works so I can download them all  now. Gonna finish up with Jim_Raynor's, then finish the rest of VE, the I'm not sure which one I'll do. Maybe yours. Expect a review!
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Wait, don't play mine just yet.  I realized that there's a huge problem in the last mission.  Please use this version instead.  I'll take whatever penalty you give me for this super late update, but this bug completely kills the map.

http://www.filefront.com/14294497/TR05.scx
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: Wait, don't play mine just yet.  I realized that there's a huge problem in the last mission.  Please use this version instead.  I'll take whatever penalty you give me for this super late update, but this bug completely kills the map.

http://www.filefront.com/14294497/TR05.scx
Hehe, some of our maps are broken, too. No big deal. If I were you, I'd stick with the version you submitted on time. The late penalty would outway any good it would do. Regardless, I'll play ur updated version.  ;)
-George Bernard Shaw
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

@ all who are upset about my campaign release delays:

To say I misjudged the timeframes required to make the maps, trigger them, create the voice fx, etc. is an understatement.  And I happily forfeit my placing in this contest.  Please stop bothering Lavarinth about it. 

In terms of the last map, I suppose it does not matter anymore whether or not I finish it but I do hope that you all enjoyed the first three and I'll take feedback I've received to date into consideration for modifying certain parts to further polish them off.

CC rocks and I look forward to seeing what everyone does in the next contest and StarCraft 2!
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

chris wrote: Hey, hold on! we want to finish playing it! Who cares about the bloody competition! :'(

At least finish map 4 for the sake of those who like your work. Just because its not a part of a competition doesn't mean people aren't going to be interested in playing it. You didn't make LotC for a competition now did you?
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]