The Last Cerebrate (CANCELED)

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Re: The Last Cerebrate

Post by tipereth »

I call shenanigans.

Seriously, no disrespect to The Oracle, but I could just as easily have said I had to delay my campaign's release due to work, had I known I was able to. If everyone isn't granted equal treatment in the few objectively measurable parts to this contest , what's the point? If the extra time he took lets him make something that just completely blows the rest of our stuff out of the water, power to him. That doesn't mean he should get to avoid the full late submission penalty while the rest of us scurried to meet the deadline.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

I can understand it to an extent that Lav is giving him the extra time because of our own experiences with trouble uploading, but I don't think he should get much more time than until the end of tommorow or the next day. It will be three/four days late based on the deadline we were given, which isn't that bad, but getting close to a full week would be unreasonable.

And I understand where you're coming from, Krazy and tipereth, but some things aren't foreseeable. I had no idea TIm was gonna be on vacation for a week and then get Lyme disease immediately after, so we had to work our asses off just to meet the deadline (and let me tell you, with a partially disoriented partner, that isn't easy  :-\). We probably could have used a few more days than that to work out all those bugs you pointed out, but we decided against it because we wished to honor the deadline (especially since it was extended by two days). I can sympathise with The Oracle to a degree.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Speaking from a completely neutral perspective, I think this is favoritism. Lav, you had rules set on updates and submission. By a wave of the hand, you exempted Oracle because he informed you ahead of time that his campaign would be late. If that's really all it takes to excuse one from penalty for failing to meet the deadline, I have to question why you have a deadline at all.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I am sorry but Oracle is too late to release without any penalty if you want to be fair with the others.

If you still intend to allow him in, he should pay any late penalty in from his BASE professionalism score (which means it might not be 10). In my book, it would be -1 for not meeting the deadline in addition of -1 per day late. His lack of weekly updates would already affect a good -1 to -2 off the bat for his base score.

That means in my book, he is already at a -4 penalty (if not more late compared to the latest deadline) coupled with a best starting score of 8-9 in professionalism (reduction from lack of weekly updates, presuming everything else goes right). Thus he would already be at 4/10 or  5/10 of professionalism if his case don't get worse.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

All,

I don't believe Lav indicated that I wouldn't be dinged on points.  He only indicated he would still accept the project for judging despite its lateness (for the reasons he described).  I'm not sure how many points or in which category it will be dinged (to Honejasi's statements), but I'll likely be dinged just the same.

So please give Lav a break.  Although not on time I have killed myself on this thing and it is coming out.  It will be judged.  And if the points reduction in the end cuts me from the top marks, I'm quite okay with that.  I just want a chance for these maps to be played and  judged is all, no matter what handicap I end up with.

Besides, you wouldn't want me to give up and not submit it at all would you?  There aren't that many Zerg campaigns floating around :)

Oracle
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

It's not that you aren't getting deductions, but that Lav made it seem you wouldn't get as much of a deduction simply because you told him in advance. Perhaps we are simply interpretting his words wrong, but it does appear that he is giving you some leniency. I'm perfectly okay with some leniency as long as it gets in soon, so it doesn't really matter to me. To me, it's not even important that you make it by the deadline, but that you even try. The quality of your project shows your skill, but your effort shows character. So I just appreciate that you're even in the contest to begin with and that, despite the fact that you are late, you are still attempting to finish and haven't just given up.  ;)
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Good to see you're still getting this in.  I have another campaign to add to my list to play from this contest.  Can't get to em yet, I've never had so much going on in my life ever as I do right now.  I literally barely have a spare 15 minutes to check the forum.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

The Oracle wrote: So please give Lav a break.  Although not on time I have killed myself on this thing and it is coming out.  It will be judged.  And if the points reduction in the end cuts me from the top marks, I'm quite okay with that.  I just want a chance for these maps to be played and  judged is all, no matter what handicap I end up with.
In that case, that's perfectly fine to me.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Text only convenes only about 28% of a persons intentions, audio adds a lot, visuals even more. ;) Misunderstanding I am sure.

This I want to play definitely.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I did not say he would not be penalized. ::)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

bump

I want to play this, competition or not.
Oracle + zerg = WIN
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

chris wrote: bump

I want to play this, competition or not.
Oracle + zerg = WIN
Oracle already said you'll get to.
chris

Post by chris »

I know, I'm just letting oracle know that I'm very interested in playing this.

BTW, I just realized that you're Legion. Why did you change your name? I've been wondering since the beginning of the summer who you are.
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

chris wrote: I know, I'm just letting oracle know that I'm very interested in playing this.

BTW, I just realized that you're Legion. Why did you change your name? I've been wondering since the beginning of the summer who you are.
Haha, no reason.  Never like the handle Legion really and have changed it a number of times. 

I'm also interested in playing Oracle's work!
chris

Post by chris »

You should name yourself "the overmind" due to your excellent voicing in Dark Swarm, I haven't forgotten :)
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]