God of Thunder (Working Title)

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

God of Thunder (Working Title)

Post by Thalraxal »

Name: Thalraxal
Direction:  I intend to produce a 6-7 mission campaign focusing on the actions of Umojan Protectrate during the four years between StarCraft and StarCraft 2.  The campaign will focus on the Terrans (specifically, the Umojan Protectrate and the Dominion), although there will be some small appearances by the Protoss and Zerg.  The story will be mostly about new characters (some created by myself, and atleast one from offical non-game sources).
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: God of Thunder (Working Title)

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Designer's Log #1
Haven't had a chance to do too much work on GoT yet.  Been busy and I've been having trouble not working on ACMD!.  Oh, the irony.  My heart's not quite into GoT yet, but I think I've figured out the special ingredient that was missing from my plot that I needed to get it going.

I've started work on Mission 1, and I'm about 25% into it.  My mod's pretty much finished, I just need to find a good portrait for one of my main characters, rename heroes, and make a loading screen.  Unlike my last campaign, ACMD0, I've decided to go the classic SC route and have a Player Character (an unnamed Umojan Colonel).  I also think that there might be a low playable hero population in this campaign (as compared to ACMD0, in which you controlled Dreys and Vidar in every playable mission).

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got01.png[/imgwh]
Colonel Hamish Colby explains the situation.  Portrait by Daelin.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got02.png[/imgwh]
Umojan diplomacy apparently involves explosives.  Major Kade (I think I like the name better spelt with a K), doesn't really look like Stukov though, I just haven't decided on a portrait yet.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got03.png[/imgwh]
A Umojan Protectrate Base!  Umoja's official colour is Aqua, although I'm not sure how much I like it right now.  I might change them to blue or teal in the final version.  Haven't made up my mind on this yet, so I'd like to hear some opinions.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Aqua.... It looks strange, but I kinda like it. It's fresh.

Looking cool so far. Snow terrain is a bitch when you want to go for a "pretty map". If done right, it looks amazing, but for me they're the least fun to design because I hate how you can't make units not walk around higher ground. Oh the humanity.

Oh yeah, in the briefing, "set up" is a verb and shouldn't be one word. :p
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

BadManners! wrote: Aqua.... It looks strange, but I kinda like it. It's fresh.

Looking cool so far. Snow terrain is a bitch when you want to go for a "pretty map". If done right, it looks amazing, but for me they're the least fun to design because I hate how you can't make units not walk around higher ground. Oh the humanity.

Oh yeah, in the briefing, "set up" is a verb and shouldn't be one word. :p
Thanks, Legion!

Thanks for catching spell mistake too!  Fixed.

Yeah, I've still got a long way to finish polishing the terrain in Mission 1.  The layout's done, but it's still pretty bland where the Dominion Base isn't.  Mission 1 is set on a barren, mostly uninhabited, icy rock, which limits the terrain types I can use (no grass, no unfrozen water, dirt only where the snow's been cleared, and no to little outpost) and doodads (no trees, no plant life and limited man-made structures).  The next mission should really be set on the planet 'where Thalraxal can have as much fun as he can designing the terrain', but instead it'll probably be Ashworld. :(
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Krazy wrote: Looks promising, but I thought I'd point out that white text on Snow terrain is very hard on the eyes.
He's right. Instead of the normal color text, you should use yellow or green, available in the X-tra Editor and SCMDraft. ;)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

omega20 wrote:
Krazy wrote: Looks promising, but I thought I'd point out that white text on Snow terrain is very hard on the eyes.
He's right. Instead of the normal color text, you should use yellow or green, available in the X-tra Editor and SCMDraft. ;)
Yeah, that's another one of the downsides to Iceworld.  I've always used the secret technique of 'scrolling over to an unexplored area, or where there's fog of war to read the text' to get around that, but Omega20 makes a good point.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Designer's Log #2
Mission 1 is "finished", I'm going to go back later and rework some dialogue.  I've started terraining for Mission 2 and it's mostly done.  It's Ashworld.

I've rethought some things regarding the overall plot of my campaign, and so I've changed alot of stuff.  My original plan was the A Plot, but I felt that wasn't enough so I added the B Plot.  With the removal of the 'story must cover all four years', I've decided to drop my A Plot in favour of the B Plot which I decided was a lot more interesting and has now evolved into something completely different.  Elements of the original A Plot remain, but it's not really the A Plot anymore.  So, my A Plot is now my B Plot and my B Plot is now my A Plot and I'm probably going to have to rename my campaign sometime.

Additionally, I decided to drop the Player Character idea.  The Colonel, and the events The Colonel goes through, are far too interesting to leave the character as a silent protagonist.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Designer's Log #3
Terrain and most of the triggering (88.3%) is done for Mission 2.  Just need to work on some dialogue in Mission 2.  I still want to go back and tweak some stuff in Mission 1.  Anyway, Screenshots!

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got04.png[/imgwh]
Mission 1's text now comes in more ledgible yellow.  Thanks, Omega20!

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got05.png[/imgwh]
The Dominion attacks the Umojan Base.  Terrain in the Umojan base is now slightly less boring.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got06.png[/imgwh]
A returning character from ACMD0 makes an appearance.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... /got07.png[/imgwh]
The Umojans and Protoss fight some Zerg together.
Church

Post by Church »

Krazy wrote:   (Blue) EANDRIL
         (normal color) Greetings terrans!  blah blah blah
         (normal color) blah blah blah   
Sweet! How bout Eandril really says that!
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

[imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... got06a.png[/imgwh]
Krazy wrote:   I really like the aquamarine unit color on the ashworld terrain, it looks really nice.  The yellow text looks much better as well!

When people of different factions are talking to the player, you can also just change the name of the speaker to help indicate the name of the speaker.
Thanks, Krazy!  While I was a bit iffy on it at first, I think the Umojans are going to get to keep their actual faction colour.

I saw Mantis/Whiplash do the 'names the colour of the faction' thing in Ascension of Duran.  It looks nice, but I don't really like it for some reason.  I think I'm going to blame it on having been around when coloured-text was the 'new thing' and having played too many half-baked scenario maps that overused it.  That, and I don't think SC has Aqua as a text colour.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Thalraxal wrote: That, and I don't think SC has Aqua as a text colour.
Yes, it has. But you can't add it with the X-Tra Editor. You must use ScmDraft, but you'd need SC version 1.15 or higher to see it properly in-game. ;)

You're doing a great job with your campaign, Thal. I'm glad to see Eandril again. ;) Good luck!
Last edited by omega20 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Yeah, aqua, or turquoise as it is in Scmdraft, is for the messages. ;O
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
Church

Post by Church »

Thalraxal wrote: [imgwh 640x480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/ ... got06a.png[/imgwh]
Hooray!
Church

Post by Church »

Krazy wrote:
Jim_Raynor wrote:
Hooray!

I'm tempted to give that image a spiffy background and make it my new wallpaper...
Just for me?

But really, you can put the old words back Thal.