Adun (complete)

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
TheProgramer
Terran Refinery Attendant

Adun (complete)

Post by TheProgramer »

Name: Caleb Garofalo
I know what your asking.  Adun?  How in the universe can a Campaign called Adun take place after the events of BroodWar?  Well that's the challenge isn't it?  Campaign is not constructed traditionally with each race having its own set of missoin before going on and putting the player in the reings of another race.  This Campaign focus mainly on an event that happed with the Protoss that effects the entire StarCraft world while also giving you Terran as playable sparatically during the Campaign.  Zerg is never playable but does make an appearance.

DOWNLOAD LINKS (FINAL NON-CONTEST VERSIAN [for contest versian visit the Contest Campaigns page])
at my site (individual maps): http://theprogramer.webs.com/mapdatabase.htm
at mediafire (zipped file of all maps): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hykegzozlzy

The Campaign is 10 levels long with 1 bonus level a prologue and an epilogue.

I am finished providing more info and stuff so here is some stuff, including the Prologue transcript.  I have dedicated a whole page on my site to this Campaign.  Visit it here: http://theprogramer.webs.com/adun.htm.

STORY

Prologue

One year has passed since BroodWar.  The Protoss are struggling with their new way of living.  Zeratul has not been heard from and Artanis is looked to by all the remnants of Auir, and with Raszagal missing, by the Dark Templar (who are no longer referred to as such, but go by the name of their tribe that was banished from Auir, the Nerazim).

Artanis, having great wisdom, did not aspire to becoming a tyrant.  Directly after BroodWar he had appointed five Protoss of different tribes to form a Hierarchy: Urun of the Aurga tribe, Tabrenus of the Furinax, Nahaan of the Ara, Zekrath of the Shelak, and Mohandar of the Nerazim.  Though Artanis (of the Akilae tribe) made the final decision he always strived for unity in the decisions that he made and that is why he had this Hierarchy.

The Protoss have learned from each other and disagreements are rare, but still exist.

One of the biggest disagreements that did happen was the choice to colonize Bel'Shir a year after BroodWar.  With the Zerg mysteriously becoming less and less active and the Terrans growing stronger the Hierarchy met to consider the choice to colonize Bel’Shir at such a crucial time.  Mohandar expressed the Nerazim tribe’s want to focus on military progression.  They felt that losing a few let alone a vast number of protoss at such a crucial time in the Protoss’s history would endanger them.  They wanted them to stay and help progress in military standing.  While most of the Hierarchy agreed to this, several members conveyed their protoss’s desire to go to Bel'Shir and colonize it as a "Shrine World".  Artanis, in his never-ending desire to unify his race, came up with a decision that he felt that would unify the Hierarchy.  Artanis decided that they Protoss who wanted to leave and create the shrine world on Bel’Shir may go freely recognizing that they were all free people now with no universal will such as the Conclave to force them to do their will.  But if they would promise to create their shrines, while also growing stronger in military statues, they could not only go, but go with their blessing.  So a large amount of Protoss left with the blessing of Artanis and the Protoss people (for that was whom the Hierarchs represented) to go and take up the project of creating a "Shrine World" to honor the protoss warriors who have fallen. The Protoss who left made it clear that they were not leaving for good but would stay in contact and still attempt to make advances in military.

Along their way to Bel’Shir the Protoss fleet that happened upon a Terran armada.  They prepared for combat for Terrans have not been friendly of late, and surprisingly the Terrans did not run at such a vast fleet of Protoss Warships but instead hailed them.  One of the higher-ups, Hekouhe, met the Terrans on their flag-ship Cruiser and discussed many things with the Terran commander, Snider.  Snider had recently gathered many Terrans who had a common mindset of finding a peaceful place to settle.  Hekouhe and Snider quickly reached an alliance of which they both sincerely meant to keep.  Hekouhe left with hope for this new alliance and they resumed their trek to Bel’Shir

Bel'Shir is in the Mackhan System which is considerably far away from the system of which Shakuras is in, yet the protoss kept in constant communication, and any Protoss that has embraced the Khaydarin crystals and the Khala are always in a form of contact. The Biggest province in Bel'Shir is the Stadium of the Temples which houses most Protoss living quarters.  Most of the temples and Shrines and Memorials have been constructed and the Protoss on Bel'Shir have focused on their Military as they promised.
It is now three years after BroodWar and the Protoss on Bel'Shir have a considerable standing army of which they plan to soon ferry back to Shakuras to prove that they've kept their promise.  It is early in the morning and you are Hekouhe, Province Protector, and you have been summoned...

CHARACTERS
I only introduce six new characters.

[imgwh 90x77]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... raprof.gif[/imgwh] Shovonok

Species: Protoss

Ancient Protector

Dark Templar who has been following Raszagal and has since joined up with the remnants of Auir who warped to Shakuras.  He has been commanded to keep Shakuras safe and after the activating of the Xel-Naga temple stayed on Shakuras to seek out and find prviously known Xel-Naga relics on the planet.  The temple's blast relocated and destroyed many of the relics that Shovonok previously was put in charge of protecting.  Recentley he has travled to Recentley he has travled to Bel'Shir for unknown reasons.

[imgwh 90x90]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... archon.gif[/imgwh] Hale

Cheif Temple Gaurd

Hale is a merging of a experineced Templar with a very young Khalai Protoss.  This exotic combination was looked down by some but after the events of BroodWar tolernce levels among Protoss have increased.  Hale was put in charge of construction and gaurd of a temple dedicated to Adun, also to be the resting place of a new Khydarian Crystal formation.

[imgwh 60x56]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... dAnim1.gif[/imgwh] Hekouhe

Province Protector

Hekouhe has been put in charge in organizing the different new provinces in a world recently colonized by the Protoss becuase of its simmilarity to Auir.

[imgwh 60x56]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... dAnim1.gif[/imgwh] Zaria

Province Judicator

Zaria is a long-time frined of Hekouhe and so it was only natural that he go with him to Bel'Shir.  Zaria was appointed a Judicator of one of the provinces and tries to help Hekouhe whenever he can.

[imgwh 90x90]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... emplar.gif[/imgwh] Dartilen

Shovonok's twin.  Dartilen chose a different path from his brother.  Instead of examining Xel-Naga remnants he chose to be closer to authority.  He was a personal bodygaurd to Raszagal and was on a type of vacation when she was captured.  He regrets this happening, but does not blame himself for her capture and subsiquent death, he is wise enough to know that he would not have made a differnece and probably just would of been slaughtered by the zerg swarm.  Currently he is trying to re-capture a Shakuras moon which was infested by the zerg and because of it's small size has proven difficullt to regain.

[imgwh 60x56]http://theprogramer.webs.com/Adun%20Cha ... vilian.gif[/imgwh] Snider

Species: Terran

Supreme Allied Commander

Snider is the leader of a group of Terrans that rallied together after the Dominion fell.  He is kindhearted, but able to make tough decisons when necceary.  These qualites are why people picked Snider to lead them.  He only allows people who actually have morals to join his group, as he and his men seek only to exist peacfully.  He met a Protoss battle fleet and instead of blasting it or running like most terrans do Snider made contact.  It became clear to the Protoss that he was no threat and they quickly became allies with each other.  The terms of the alliance are simpel, for each memeber to help the other when needed provided the help is not of outrages nature.
Last edited by TheProgramer on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can't stop them from comming, but by God we can make them limp home!
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Adun

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

JOURNAL:

Here I post pictures and stuff about my progress.

6/06/09

I have commited to tweaking my story to fit into the guidelines of a contest hosted on CampaignCreations.  This also is forcing me to polish my Campaign.  I am a bit worried because I used pre-made maps from StarCraft and BroodWar and simply edited everythign but the map's terrain layout, and I think that might disqualify me.  If it does I might spend the time to re-create those maps but I doubt it.  But here is some pics to make you guys happy!

7/07/09

Lol didn't mean for those dates to happen they just did.  Anyway here is the low-down.  I have been busy with school so I have not been updating this, the forum for the contest, or the Campaign itself.  I will start again soon since the deadline is soon anyway :).  I have decided not to do any pictures because I don't have time and they wont be progress pictures since the bulk of the Campaign is done anyway.  By the end of today I will have updated all the maps availabel for download.

7/27/09

Well the contest ends in four more days and I'm on a rush to finish it.  I have been doing a TON of tweaking on it, and today I have spent every momment on it (yes that would be from 10:00 this morning [so i'm a late sleeper SHUT UP!] and it's now 7:37) and I plan to finish the campaign today so I will probably go to sleep around 3:00 tommorow morning (okay so that's not today SHUT UP!), even though I have class tommorow and have an essay to write for it.  I also am writing a story which is my campign in written form and btw that is my final project for my College Compositoin 2 class.  That I will bundle in with the final product.  I also have finished a special scenario which is a bonus mission.  Even though I have really spent alot of time on this I don't think it'll win because so many other people I'm sure are better at making maps than I am.  Also over half of the maps topography I didn't make, I took from already-made maps so I won't get many points in that category (and yes I was honest and told them that they wern't my own, I am not a liar or a deciever).  So that's that.  I will put up the final maps to download as soon as I am done.  Enjoy!  Oh I also updated with a new character.  It's a minor character but one none the less.

I also have to power through the final in the triliogy of Dark Templar books because I hear tell that Ulrezaj's fate is covered in that book, and I need that information for my Epilogue.  I actually have read all of the StarCraft books published thus far, save for the third book in the trilogy and I Mengsk as I am in the process of reading them now.  I read them for reaserch so that my Campaign fits perfectly into the StarCraft universe.

Also mind you that I have gotten alot done today despite the fact that my little cousin is here today (i'm not a huge kid fan, yet somehow they are attracted to me like the same way that Cats are to people that are allergic to them.  Ever noticed that?  It's like somehow cats know who is alergic to them and thus are attracted to them like a tractor beam!  Well my cousin is the same way he wants to play with me and stuff and I dont want to hurt his feelings because that would be wrong.  As a matter of fact today I told him to go away and I felt bad about it.  And of course my newest gaming system (N64 ftw) is in my room so he likes to hang out there.  ANYWAY I digress.  I am in-love with Itunes as it has kept me sane throughout the day today.  So anyway i'll get back to doing my work I finaly have gotten food in me today.  Today my diet was eggs for breakfast and then pretzles all day, so the sub is a welcome treat.  KK I go.

7/28/09
Okay so it's 2:21am and I have got alot acomplished.  All I have to do now is do my project due at school at 9:00 today, and go to school.  Get home, sleep for 8 hours, then play through my campaign and fix any errors that arise.  Then finish the Dark Templar book and then finish my Epilogue.  I decided not to do a short-story for my final english project so I wont add that short story to the package so after I finish the Epilogue I'll update the map downloads and find a place to host a winzip versian with all the maps in one folder.  So right now i'm off to doing my project.  Cheerio.

7/31/09

FINISHED!  Finito!  I have completed the task of which I set out to do.  On the due date no-less.  You can download the the maps on my site here: http://theprogramer.webs.com. So enjoy the game and enjoy life! I plan to remake this Campaign when StarCraft II comes out.  I also plan on recreating all the orginal Campaign levels, and have a webpage about it here  If you want to help join up!  The site is still under-construction.
Last edited by TheProgramer on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

I also have to power through the final in the triliogy of Dark Templar books because I hear tell that Ulrezaj's fate is covered in that book, and I need that information for my Epilogue.
Indeed. If you plan to do anything at all with Ulrezaj after Enslavers: Dark Vengeance, you must read this book. It explains (or rather hints at) the true nature of his actions, as well as details of his past and his ultimate fate. No spoilers from me, as it's not what you'd expect.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
TheProgramer

Re: Adun (complete)

Post by TheProgramer »

PROJECT COMPLETED
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

thebrowncloud wrote: Indeed. If you plan to do anything at all with Ulrezaj after Enslavers: Dark Vengeance, you must read this book. It explains (or rather hints at) the true nature of his actions, as well as details of his past and his ultimate fate. No spoilers from me, as it's not what you'd expect.
Yeah the book was great.  Hate the implied twist they put on Duran it really busts my hide!  But yeah it was realy helpfull in my epilogue.  Thanks for not using spoilers.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

TheProgramer wrote:
Yeah the book was great.  Hate the implied twist they put on Duran it really busts my hide!  But yeah it was realy helpfull in my epilogue.  Thanks for not using spoilers.
Yeah, did you see that coming? I thought he was done for! Who would have thought Zamara would have agreed to that?! Best SC book by far!

And yeah, the stuff about Duran is kinda the new mystery, considering we know what the hybrids are now. Such a shame.... Not knowing what the hybrids were for was a great mystery. Not knowing what Duran wants to do with them or what he is is just annoying!
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: In the first mission's first in-game dialogue, can you please explain what "he was probably turned on too" means... because otherwise I just learned something new about how the protoss reproduce.
WOW!  That was a major error, a absolutley horrible error that I can't believe I missed.  That was not supposed to be displayed untill near the end of the mission.  I have since fixed it and updated all the neccesary links to download it.  Thanks so much for the heads up I can't believe I missed that.  I also reworded it so you dont think that you "just learned something new about how the protoss reproduce".  I also found another big error on that level.  Wow i feel so bad.  I guarentee that I was much more thourough on the other levels.  I also had to switch download servers so if you downloaded the other one please download from mediafire.  Thanks and enjoy!
Last edited by TheProgramer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: The last mission isn't the most evil ;)
Did you end up beating it?  What do you think about it?
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: It's like melee except UMS with two races.
Umm so does that mean you like it or not? (fyi that is what several missions of the orginal SC and BW were and I figured get back to basics for the final level jhust as orginal SC did).  And did you beat it?
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

TheProgramer wrote: that is what several missions of the orginal SC and BW were and I figured get back to basics for the final level just as orginal SC did
Amen. Traditional is the way to go. Sure, boss battles and game-changing mods can be fun, but if u make something more powerful than kerrigan (or whoever u perceive to be the most powerful hero) u are kinda bending the boundaries of the universe. no offense to all of u who did decide to put in boss battles  :)
-George Bernard Shaw
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

Krazy wrote: Oh by the way, thebrowncloud, you know something else that didn't appear in the vanilla campaign?  Mineral stacks with 50k minerals.

Guess what features in the last map of this series?  You guessed it!
Spoiler
The computer player's most defended mains all have 50k mineral stacks and gas; the rest of the map is regular.

As a side note, I pose a philosophical question:

How many times must a man die before he can rest?

The answer, if you're Alan Schezar is: A LOT! 

The man puts a cat's 'nine lives' to shame.
Spoiler
Purple computer does not mine gas and therefore never attacks.  It only exists to be in the way between your main and the random as hell expo over to the left.

-Poop-colored terran sends tanks/nukes/bcs
-Pee-colored toss sends carriers/reavers
-Albino toss sends arbiters whose main job is to statis any carriers/bcs you build
-Their attacks are so broken up they mostly will only grief your economy, until yellow sends max up carrier packs and brown just happens to nuke on the other side of them, at which point your base is doomed. 

Victory occurs when you recall 60 dragoons and 12 dark archons into the main base with the infinite mineral stacks, mind control their entire air force, and set up your base to get resources for the rest of the game.  Or, when you get bored of a rigged map and turn on cheats.

Defeat occurs when you play before noticing the computer has infinite resources.
Ah, I see. I haven't played anyone's campaigns yet, so I wouldn't know. (Was having some spyware problems today and spent the whole day trying to fix it).  The minerals thing doesn't seem like that big of a deal (although a ridiculous amount). I'll form my own opinion when I've played it.

I like you're adjectives for the colors of the enemies. Hehe, good work, my friend.
-George Bernard Shaw
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: As a side note, I pose a philosophical question:

How many times must a man die before he can rest?

The answer, if you're Alan Schezar is: A LOT! 

The man puts a cat's 'nine lives' to shame.
Spoiler
The events of this Campaign are placed before Schezar was killed and before Ulrezaj had morhed into a DA.  So I didn't add another life to Shezar's '9 lives', it perfectly plausible that he was alive.
thebrowncloud wrote:
Spoiler
Purple computer does not mine gas and therefore never attacks.  It only exists to be in the way between your main and the random as hell expo over to the left.
Spoiler
Do you think there is a way to fix that so that purple attacks?  Is it a real big problem?  I am asking honseslty for your opinion.
thebrowncloud wrote: Victory occurs when you recall 60 dragoons and 12 dark archons into the main base with the infinite mineral stacks, mind control their entire air force, and set up your base to get resources for the rest of the game.  Or, when you get bored of a rigged map and turn on cheats.
Spoiler
Defeat occurs when you play before noticing the computer has infinite resources.
Spoiler
The player does not have 50K reasources.  Only two of the three players have 35000 reasrouces at their disposal white has much less but comes in later in the game so what do you mean 50K reasources?
All-in-All was it a challenging yet fun last level?  Did you enjoy it, or am I completley bad at making Campaigns?
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: Not to get into "canon warz" with you, but doesn't Ulrezaj become a DA in Dark Vengeance, which takes place during the UED invasion of Korhal... so wouldn't that put your campaign actually *before* the 4-years between period starts? 
You know how much I hate you right now.  I hate you because your right.  Grr.  GOSH DARN IT!  I prided myself on being super-cannon and ended up after all my reading and such I FREAKING MESSED UP!  I guess pride comes before a fall is too freaking true.  I guess I'm faced with the choice of updating my dl which reduces my points or leave it as is and be disqualified.  Stupid.  (i don't really hate you i was just being expressive).  I woudl have to change the Epilogue and to whom the Terran belong to.  Easy to change but is going to hurt my points.  GOSH DARN IT!  Well I never expected to win anyway.
Krazy wrote: If purple played like the other comps, I don't know that it would make the map terribly more difficult.  Then purple would be cutting off brown's expansions and thus limiting the number of nukes.  On the other hand, more reavers and carriers.  On the whole, the map certainly does NOT need to be MORE difficult. 
Agreed that it doesnt need to be more difficult, i'll leave them as is to simply be an obstical.
Krazy wrote: Ah, I didn't actually check their amounts in editor.  I saw that they were 30k by the time I had pushed to them, and assumed the computer had mined more than 10k since the rest of the map was mined out.  Guess the comps were slower at mining than I'd estimated.  Ultimately, any resource patch with more than 20k might as well be infinite. 
Yes I have had a problem with minerals/mining for computer players, but the level I think is fine the way it is, and it allows you to have a good staging area later on in the game so I think I will leave it as-is.
Krazy wrote: Well...

Shouldn't you be able to tell yourself whether it is challenging and fun?  I mean honestly, if *you* don't think it's fun to take on three insane computers, do you think the players will?  You really should play your own map, and only release it if you find it fun and can beat it. 

That being said here are some crucial points:

1 - Make your own terrain.  For real.
2 - Avoid clunky dialogue. 
It is sad that we must bleed our blood on this day, on this planet that was meant only to honor those fallen Protoss who fell fighting for peace.

He's Protoss, not emo ;)

3 - Proofread to avoid typos AND avoid vague directions:

(from the first mission) :
We'll have to go around the long way to get to them.  The temple gaurds appear to be under Shovonok's controll, so they now must be destroyed if they stand in our way.

The first sentence there is pretty vague... and "controll"

Again from the first mission:
.Bring the disk to the enterance of the temple

Ignoring the typo, what or where is the entrance to the temple?  If it's where you started the map, there should be a beacon there or something, because I was confused at what I was supposed to do to end of that mission.

Now you'll notice that my examples here are coming from your first map... that's because the amount of original content in the final mission is incredibly sparse.  I mean, what more do you want other than "it's a melee where you start with 2 races"?  There are *11* triggers for all players combined in "The End of Adun".  That's pretty spartan for a 256x256 map with 5 enemy computers.  I very rarely felt like I was really playing a map from "TheProgramer" and more felt like I was playing a melee map on UMS.

As an aside, what is up with your name?  I can't imagine "TheProgrammer" was taken.

Now, I don't think anyone would say, and I don't mean to imply, that you are bad at making campaigns... however, I do think you could spend more time perfecting them, put more of yourself into each mission, and generally proofread/beta test more to make something stronger.
I understand many of these shortcommings, and I did enjoy the last level, was just wondering if you did.  I didn't know the enterance was so confusing thatnks for pointing that out.  As for my name check the dictionary Programer and Programmer are both correct spellings of the word and I liked the versian with one m that is all.  And I already adressed the reason for the last level being so simple.  And for your final comments I understand what you are saying and I admit I am bad or atleast not very good at making campaigns, but I had hoped this was still fun, and that was what I was going for.  I just hoped it was fun for you and not a annoyance.  Not sure with your comments if I acheived that or not.
TheProgramer

Post by TheProgramer »

Krazy wrote: Another aside, why is backup map 4 and delivery map 6?  What happened to map 5? 
Map 5 is "More Backup"  i forgot to place it on the indvidual map dl, but it is in the mediafire download.