[Writing]: Script templating

Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

[Writing]: Script templating

Post by Maglok »

Figured I'd ask around. For a while now Lavvz and I have been working on a SC2 projects (and with a while I mean 1.5 years). I have written quite a bit by now and have gone over several reversions of what I like to call a epidoc. In it is:
  • A synopsis
  • Cast
  • Releaseplan with deadlines
  • The script
  • Development (what needs to be made)
It's been evolving over some time. We like to work out everything in detail. The script part of the epidoc is a edited version of the method movies use.

How do you do any writing? Do you even write anything before you start mapping? This is of course most effective for projects that you are not doing solo. Any ideas to make things more efficient?

Let's say you can produce a map every month or so, then optimizing anything you can is a useful thing.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: [Writing]: Script templating

Post by IskatuMesk »

I very, very rarely make scripts for two reasons;

I like to do things on the fly because I suck at management. I can generally remember all of the key details and formulate my scripts to changing plans. It has never failed me.

I do all major work solo anyway.

And I haven't tried to make a campaign for a very long time.

I did write out a script for a planned SC campaign back in 2006-2007 though. This was called Sarenubus Kaladonmus.

I never, ever set a deadline. I don't recommend it to anyone, either. Although I don't believe you should ever treat a TC or a campaign as a hobby, it's not something you should feel forced into reaching a deadline for. This makes you cut corners. Cutting corners is bad. It's purely psychological.

For SK I created several documents. One was a global script for every mission which admittedly wasn't terribly exhaustive as it was intended to be a relatively short and simple campaign only about 12 missions in length. This global script contained information about every major character and provided minor characters on the fly. This provided a very basic summary of the missions and their backstory.

The main document contained a synopsis of the history of the story and the campaign's involvement, as well as a basic introduction of the main characters.

If I was to build a script for, say, an AO2 campaign, I would also create multiple documents to keep the information sweet and simple.

- Main document. Contains backstory, history, and main character information.
- Mission scripts, perhaps per mission for something of this scale. Provides synopsis of mission mechanics and events, and information on all of the characters involved.

I keep the actual development of everything I do to myself for the most part. I never set a deadline, because that is a psychological weight I don't need on my shoulders. When I need voices soon, I tell the actors that directly.

You should really sign on msn or aim for once. You can ask me all the questions about development and stuff you want.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

You misunderstand a healthy discussion as me wanting to ask specific questions. ;) I've been doing this for a while. Btw I am always on MSN really, unless I am asleep.
- Maglok
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You sure? I never see you on. :\

I'm icsw_lurker@hotmail.com.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

As far as efficiency, get the voices done and out of the way.  The time required to get the actors, edit, and organize all those .mp3 files is so mammoth that having it done and over with before you start mapping can only help you and not hurt you.  Of course this is predicated on a final script that will be unchanging even after SC2 releases.  If you can do that though, you'll save yourself A TON of time on the production once SC2 is released.
You haven't lived until you've edited 5,000 recorded .mp3's of dialogue!
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Yeah we half believe in that idea. We are wondering how much we can use that dialogue tree system blizzard has shown off. Then there is always the 'we need another line' situation.
- Maglok