Changing item targeting and effects

HereticSoul
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Changing item targeting and effects

Post by HereticSoul »

I'm looking to create a Flare item. So far, I've been able to make an item that pretty much duplicates the flare ability (reveals an area, uses flare model, etc.). I'd like to change it so that the flare isn't targetable, but falls where the character using it is standing, and if possible take away the area reveal.

In short, I'm trying to make a flare that just looks pretty and has no real utility.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Changing item targeting and effects

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

The likely method is the following :

1) Base your spell on an untargetable ability (ex: War Stomp, Thunder Clap, etc.)
2) Replace "Art - Caster" to the Flare one.
3) Make the spell affect no units ("None" in Targets)
4) Change "Stats - Effects" to "Flare (Effect)"

I don't guarantee those are the exact steps but you should be pretty much close. The only part that might be problematic to me based on those steps is the final "flare explosion" part. If you got trouble with it, you can probably mimic it by making a trigger to make the "explosion" effect above the casting unit.

EDIT : Oh yeah, it's an item ... make an item that have your custom non-revealing flare ability and "Stats - Actively Used" to True. Other settings might change if you want it a permanent item, limited charges, perishable or not, etc.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Sun May 25, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.