Warcraft 3 Reforged

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Post by RazorclawX »

http://www.playwarcraft3.com

Judging from Grubby's stream the base game is still Warcraft 3 with just new graphics (some people are claiming it's the SC2/HotS engine-- it's not. I've played War3 enough to recognize the UI quirks). The cutscene voices are redone with the current actors, but they aren't animated the same (no people running around anymore).

It's also obvious that this is supposed to be compatible with the latest War3 patches going on lately.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Warcraft 3 Reforged

Post by Hercanic »

I suppose the biggest giveaway is:
Limitless Custom Games
Discover millions of player-created games...
There's no way that could be true if it was an entirely different engine that wasn't compatible with all previous user-created content.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288375/war ... l-liveblog
All the new tools used to draw these new models can be also used by the community, using the World Editor tool.
I originally read this as relating to new art tools, reading it again later I'm kinda eh.

Even then we're still just going to be stuck with what is probably another Max only plugin. Billion dollar business' and you can't get tools for more than 1 program or just function with transmission formats like the rest of the industry. As far as I'm aware they never actually updated the public tools for SC2 beyond the max version upgrade.
All old custom maps, from Warcraft 3, should be able to be used on Warcraft 3 Reforged.
Should certainly being the key word here. Custom maps are going to look so janky with mixed assets. They've already had multiple compatibility issues with the WC3 patches. Ricky has also been temp banned multiple times just by hosting certain maps (that he won't report!!!).
The main art idea for the game is to keep it stylized, but not cartoony, maintaining the look from the original game.
I did have a good laugh with this one though. The new art style couldn't be further from the original game. Even more-so because the new renderer seems like its aiming towards PBR. That's a big leap from just diffuse textures and cube maps.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20769707015

Where things start getting a little dodgey with me from this and the PTR...
Maps will now be uploaded and downloaded from the cloud
Port forwarding is no longer required to host your favorite map
It seems like on the PTR it's just a seamless transition, host uploads map to Blizzards servers which then gives it to the players. I'm only going off the fact the UI hasn't changed in the editor or Battle.net though.

There's also everyone crying on their forums that the PTR is killing off hosting bots because Blizzard is actually hosting games now.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The art is a mess and wasn't ready for publication. The tileset looks nothing like the units in proportions or colors or detail. It looks like a really bad mod.

I think the new units in general look pretty good, but their animations are very poor and they clash very hard with the current terrain.

The new voice acting is pretty bad and the audio quality is a lot worse than vanilla. I wouldn't easily be convinced it's placeholder because they could just use the old assets instead.

Overall I think it looks better than SCR, but that's a very low bar to set. It was definitely announced too early and the battle.net integration and related potential censorship leaves us nervous.