how to start skinnig to warcraft?

killer-bee
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal

how to start skinnig to warcraft?

Post by killer-bee »

how to start skinning to warcraft where to get the programe and that all of things?
Because id like to start skinning warcraft (ft) units.
wanderers of sorceria kicks ass
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: how to start skinnig to warcraft?

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I don't know exactly how but here's the first directions towards it :

Get WinMPQ (made by Shadowflare) which allows you to see the files inside a MPQ file. Among those files are the skin images that you can extract with the extension blp.

Example :
Units\Creeps\SeaGiantGreen\SeaGiantGreen.blp

You will also notice that the units are likely to have files with the mdx extension which are the model files. However, unless you have modeling experience and some software such as Gmax, it might be too hard for you to attempt to make a new model or to remodel.

When you open it, you will probably see "cut" images which are basically the various skin parts of the model which you modify.

If you are doing a skin for a map, it is required that you import the skin file into the map via WorldEdit's import manager. If it is for a mod, you will need to make a copy of your patch MPQ and then place the file.

The path will have to be the same of the original skin extracted if you intend to replace a skin (which seems likely).

You will probably like some existing image extrator program (which I don't remember the name or download location) that extracts them off a MPQ and then allow you to save it into JPG or BLP I believe.

EDIT : some BLP images can also be icons (interresting for icon editing) althought it will be obvious if it a image for a skin or icon when you will open it in such image extrator program.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
killer-bee

Post by killer-bee »

hmm maybe i still let those things to pros :-\
but still thanks for telling maybe other user will be start to skin
wanderers of sorceria kicks ass
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

killer-bee wrote: hmm maybe i still let those things to pros :-\
but still thanks for telling maybe other user will be start to skin
The basics for skinning aren't THAT hard. Althought it might be difficult to make a good looking skin. It's mostly for modeling that it pretty got some kinds of prerequistes if you want to go anywhere.

You don't need to know skinning to do modeling (espacially to replace a skin) nor vice-versa but it is very preferable since they go well together.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

All you really need to start is WinMPQ OR a program made specifically to extract BLPs, and/or a BLP to TGA convertor, and something like Photoshop. It's rather easy, like Ricky said, honestly.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator