Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give credit

LordElmo5280
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give credit

Post by LordElmo5280 »

My first question is how do u give another unit an ability it wouldn't normally have for example i wanna give a chicken the build ability.
If you cant explain then send a screen shot or something thats fine too.
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Re: Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give credit

Post by Marine »

Well you use the Custom Unit Editor, on the top tab with I believe a helm, there are tutorials for this you know, just click help or go to: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
LordElmo5280

Re: Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give credit

Post by LordElmo5280 »

Marine 382BB wrote: Well you use the Custom Unit Editor, on the top tab with I believe a helm, there are tutorials for this you know, just click help or go to: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/
Yea i know that site it actually helped me alot but it doesnt explain anything aobut custom abilities or changing unit abilities
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give cr

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

LordElmo5280 wrote: My first question is how do u give another unit an ability it wouldn't normally have for example i wanna give a chicken the build ability.
Your question is a bit vague but anyway :

If you mean different abilities that are given from the start, go to the Unit/Object Editor and under the Unit tab. Then select the unit in question in the left list, double-click "Abilities - Normal" on the right list and then add/remove any ability.

If you mean different abilities that all units of the same type uses but cannot use right away, it's the same as above but make 2 triggers ... one to disable the ability for the player (event : Map Init, action : "Player - Enable/Disable Ability") and one to enable the ability for all units sharing the ability in question when it is the time.

If you mean adding a brand new ability in mid-game to a SPECIFIC unit, you will need the Frozen Throne expansion to be able to give any new ability via triggers to any unit. In that case, go to the Trigger Editor, add the proper events/conditions for your trigger (presuming you know how to do it for now) and it is the action "Unit - Add Ability".

However regardless of the case, if you want to allow a unit to construct a building as an "ability", it is completely different. In that specific case, again go to the Unit/Object Editor, select a unit from the left list BUT select "Techtree - Structures Built" instead and add/remove the buildings you want to be able to construct. If you want any initial building restrictions, the action "Player - Set Training/Construction Availability of Unit" of the Trigger Editor is your friend.
LordElmo5280

Re: Im makin a tag map but i have many questions plz answer them and ill give cr

Post by LordElmo5280 »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:
LordElmo5280 wrote: My first question is how do u give another unit an ability it wouldn't normally have for example i wanna give a chicken the build ability.
Your question is a bit vague but anyway :

If you mean different abilities that are given from the start, go to the Unit/Object Editor and under the Unit tab. Then select the unit in question in the left list, double-click "Abilities - Normal" on the right list and then add/remove any ability.

If you mean different abilities that all units of the same type uses but cannot use right away, it's the same as above but make 2 triggers ... one to disable the ability for the player (event : Map Init, action : "Player - Enable/Disable Ability") and one to enable the ability for all units sharing the ability in question when it is the time.

If you mean adding a brand new ability in mid-game to a SPECIFIC unit, you will need the Frozen Throne expansion to be able to give any new ability via triggers to any unit. In that case, go to the Trigger Editor, add the proper events/conditions for your trigger (presuming you know how to do it for now) and it is the action "Unit - Add Ability".

However regardless of the case, if you want to allow a unit to construct a building as an "ability", it is completely different. In that specific case, again go to the Unit/Object Editor, select a unit from the left list BUT select "Techtree - Structures Built" instead and add/remove the buildings you want to be able to construct. If you want any initial building restrictions, the action "Player - Set Training/Construction Availability of Unit" of the Trigger Editor is your friend.
lol lots to read thanks alot you were really helpfull.
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

I got another question: How do you turn a regular, passive ability ability into an aura?
Last edited by LordElmo5280 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Triggers. Assuming you mean something like evasion or critical strike.
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

hmm can't seem to find it whats it under? Unit? Trigger? Animation?  Im trying to change freezing breath from frosties into a slowing aura
Marine

Post by Marine »

Well you can I believe edit an aura or create a new aura and change the buffs to do stuff like Critical Strike or Evasion.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

Alright cool thanks  :)
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

No, no you can't. You can however just modify endurance aura to affect only enemies, and give a negative speed bonus.

Oh, and make sure you make it like, not a hero spell while you're at it.
Last edited by tipereth on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

Nah i'm pretty sure it can be done look at omniknight in dota.  Its got a slow aura made from spirit link.
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

Uh...no. No it doesn't. In no way is omniknight's slow aura related to spirit link. They just happen to share the same icon. You can change the icon of a spell or unit.
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

oh, w/e doesn't matter as long as it works and has a matching icon idc  ;D
LordElmo5280

Post by LordElmo5280 »

Marine 382BB wrote: Well you can I believe edit an aura or create a new aura and change the buffs to do stuff like Critical Strike or Evasion.
Ok I changed the the buff to make it a slow aura and allowed it to have 3 ability upgrades max but it doesn't allow me to modify the effect of it, it only allows me to modify the aoe, mana cost, duration, cooldown and all that but it doesn't let me modify by how much it slows for each level.  I want it to slow both movement speed and atk rate, how do i do it?