Garrosh VS Varian

Dtox
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Garrosh VS Varian

Post by Dtox »

hey guys! iv been feeling that sense of WoW fanaticism, and after looking at fan art online of things like worgen vs goblins and the lich king, i decided id do my own picture.

and so heres garrosh and varian going at it in single combat.

feedback is encouraged, id like opinions/comments on ANYTHING you'd like. im specifically looking for things that look awkward/is hard to look at/draws the eye, it'd be much appreciated!

im gonna put this through photoshop, so expect it in color soon :D (soon as in like a month from now XD).

hope you enjoy

EDIT: shortly after posting this thread, i noticed that varians legs look pretty big compared to the rest of his body, so i fixed it to look more proportionate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
herpin mah derp like yeah
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Garrosh VS Varian

Post by Thalraxal »

Hmm.. no matter who loses, we win. Excellent.

Looks good, Dtox! Varian's right leg looks a little short though. I presume he's put most of his weight on it while he slams his shoulder in Garrosh's face, so he's sort of bent at the that knee and is leaning towards Garrosh, right? I think the problem is that it looks like both of his feet are about the same distance from us, so it looks more like he's got one short leg instead of it being bent at the knee. Doesn't help that Garrosh is blocking most of that with his bulk, but that's the challenge of these sorts of pictures.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

Thalraxal wrote:Hmm.. no matter who loses, we win. Excellent.

Looks good, Dtox! Varian's right leg looks a little short though. I presume he's put most of his weight on it while he slams his shoulder in Garrosh's face, so he's sort of bent at the that knee and is leaning towards Garrosh, right? I think the problem is that it looks like both of his feet are about the same distance from us, so it looks more like he's got one short leg instead of it being bent at the knee. Doesn't help that Garrosh is blocking most of that with his bulk, but that's the challenge of these sorts of pictures.
thanks for the reply!

yeah i was wondering the same thing, i was thinking about making varians left leg positioned just a little bit further from his body (perhaps make it a tad longer) but bring the sole of his foot down (of the left leg) to be a little equal to garrosh's right foot (more or less). the image is supposed to be more of garrosh advancing on varian, while varian steps back hastily to avoid him (as shown by his hand). but if you think it'd look better to make it look like varian is instead charging into garrosh with his shoulder, i can reposition his footing to simulate that, as well as have his hand clenching to show him bracing for impact.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Garrosh is charging? I didn't really see that with his wide-open arms stance. With Garrosh's stance, it looks more like he's just taken a hit. I think the fact that we get to see Varian's expression and not Garrosh's really adds to it looking like he's the one taking action, rather than Garrosh.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

Thalraxal wrote:Garrosh is charging? I didn't really see that with his wide-open arms stance. With Garrosh's stance, it looks more like he's just taken a hit. I think the fact that we get to see Varian's expression and not Garrosh's really adds to it looking like he's the one taking action, rather than Garrosh.
right, guess it would look better to emphasize on garrosh getting hit, thnks for the comments.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

After thinking about it multiple times, and realizing a couple of things, i think it would be a bit more epic to have the image at a different perspective than previously planed

heres an edited version which pretty much just zooms in on the two in action, but doesnt capture any of their footing. i felt the last image may have been a little distracting, as well as getting closer to their faces might make it look a bit more intense.

i would like opinions as to which image might look better completely done, the old one or this new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

If you give it a suitable epic background, the full shot would be awesome. Otherwise, I think the closeup works much better. It focuses more on the ACTION. And nobody really likes feet much anyway. Unless they're wearing really cool boots, but Garrosh's galoshes are kinda boring. Varian's are kinda neat I guess, they've got lions on them.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

right then! i like the close up much better as well ^_^
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

As delved on before, it appears Garrosh is being shoulder-slammed by Varian, and judging by the position of Garrosh's arms, he's been hit hard. His face, however, shows no expression of the shockwave of being knocked back, my suggestion would be to tilt his head to face more towards the viewer and show a sign of acknowledgment from being hit and disoriented. Remember, just because you've been hit, it doesn't mean you'll show pain. Garrosh could be making a similar face as Varian, except perhaps with an eye closed or mouth partly open teeth slightly apart to show him breaking his concentration from being hit. At the current angle, it appears he just took a face full of shoulder armor.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

Lavarinth wrote:As delved on before, it appears Garrosh is being shoulder-slammed by Varian, and judging by the position of Garrosh's arms, he's been hit hard. His face, however, shows no expression of the shockwave of being knocked back, my suggestion would be to tilt his head to face more towards the viewer and show a sign of acknowledgment from being hit and disoriented. Remember, just because you've been hit, it doesn't mean you'll show pain. Garrosh could be making a similar face as Varian, except perhaps with an eye closed or mouth partly open teeth slightly apart to show him breaking his concentration from being hit. At the current angle, it appears he just took a face full of shoulder armor.
well lavarinth, i took your advice, and i have to say im very pleased that i did. the attached image has his head resized, tilted, turned towards the viewer, and just all around changed, and for the better id have to say.

if no one else has any objections, i believe its time to color this puppy ;) (unless of course something looks funky that i missed...if so please make note of it XD)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

It's an improvement, I'll agree, have you ever delved into (what traditional artists call) inking?
- - Lavarinth
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Nice! I like Garrosh's expression. His chin tatoo looks abit weird right now, but I'm pretty sure it'll even out once coloured.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

Lavarinth wrote:It's an improvement, I'll agree, have you ever delved into (what traditional artists call) inking?
no i havnt, but iv heard of it, exactly what does inking do?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Inking is taking all your lines (the drawing basically), and using inking pens to draw the final line. I noticed you do a lot of smaller lines to generate one line, inking would basically be using one line only.

Here's a quick example from a random drawing inking search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUWV0cq2XtI&feature=fvst

It's a little scary to do this on your drawing at first, but experienced people will have no issue at all. Of course, at this day and age, we have technology- and Photoshop. You can also do digital inking, which I would recommend if you don't want to run the risk of "messing up."

http://www.farlowstudios.com/tutorials/ ... s4-update/ This is a tutorial on how to ink in photoshop, you'll see the page links at the bottom, I missed them at first.
- - Lavarinth
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

Lavarinth wrote:Inking is taking all your lines (the drawing basically), and using inking pens to draw the final line. I noticed you do a lot of smaller lines to generate one line, inking would basically be using one line only.

Here's a quick example from a random drawing inking search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUWV0cq2XtI&feature=fvst

It's a little scary to do this on your drawing at first, but experienced people will have no issue at all. Of course, at this day and age, we have technology- and Photoshop. You can also do digital inking, which I would recommend if you don't want to run the risk of "messing up."

http://www.farlowstudios.com/tutorials/ ... s4-update/ This is a tutorial on how to ink in photoshop, you'll see the page links at the bottom, I missed them at first.
right, that rings a bell.

i actually have done something like that in the past using the pen tool in photoshop, although im already coloring the image now, ill have to try that the next time i post some sketches :D