Creating world maps...

Blake
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Creating world maps...

Post by Blake »

Anyone have any useful tips/suggestions or guides for designing world maps, so that they turn out interesting and realistic looking...
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Creating world maps...

Post by WB »

my suggestion, fucking forget realism. that shit is boring.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Agreed. I say make a fantasy world map of some kind so it is original.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Agreed. I say make a fantasy world map of some kind so it is original.
alright, I was thinking of making a world map that has a similar climate system as earth except with no axis tilt so that the seasons are constant and the hottest area is always  near the equator, but anyway does anyone has any good advice for making world maps, in terms of where you put geological objects such as mountains, rivers, desert, vallies, cold regions, glaciers, etc. in a way that makes the world map interesting as well as makes certain key locations hard to reach...
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

You CAN have a desert next to a jungle, you don't need to obey any laws of nature/weather. Seriously, arrange the world how you want it for it to suit your needs. We can't design your world for you. I honestly don't know what advice you are looking for.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Plus in addition, it depends so much what you want to make the terrain for exactly.

It is similar to a setting to those cheap world war melee maps (with melee default units)?
It is for a real world war map (with tanks and such of WW1/WW2)?
It is for a big RPG/Open RPG map?
It is a kind of terrain test that have no real gameplay propose but does have a cinematic-like propose?
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Plus in addition, it depends so much what you want to make the terrain for exactly.

It is similar to a setting to those cheap world war melee maps (with melee default units)?
It is for a real world war map (with tanks and such of WW1/WW2)?
It is for a big RPG/Open RPG map?
It is a kind of terrain test that have no real gameplay propose but does have a cinematic-like propose?
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Basically I want to make a world map which you can navigate similar to those in final fantasy games, does anyone know of any maps or campaigns that have decent looking world maps which can serve as examples?