StarCraft: Uprising

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
SaintKerrigan
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

StarCraft: Uprising

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Hi. My friend Rakashua and I would like to enter the contest with the campaign StarCraft: Uprising. The campaign will consist of ten missions (with the tenth being split in 2 parts, like BW Terran Mission 5), and will be fully voiced and contain custom music. The storyline revolves around a new Terran faction called the United Terran Forces, and how they fight against the Dominion. That's all I'll reveal for now.

Currently, Rakashua is working on maps 1-5, and I am working on the rest. More information will be revealed as per the weekly update.
Tremble before my wrath!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: StarCraft: Uprising

Post by Lavarinth »

Thanks for your entry, Saint.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Most compilations don't work out well, but if you think you guys can pull it off then go for it. Some more background information and maybe some screenshots would be great.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Mantis wrote: Most compilations don't work out well, but if you think you guys can pull it off then go for it. Some more background information and maybe some screenshots would be great.
One more tidbit to munch on: none of the original StarCraft cast will appear in Uprising, except for a cameo appearance by Kerrigan. I'm holding off on additional info until Friday.

The reason Rakashua and I are working on it together is that it'll go faster if we each take a half of the workload versus one of us doing everything. Plus if we pull off this joint effort it might mean we'll produce more quality productions in the future.

This is Saint_Kerrigan, signing off.
Tremble before my wrath!
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by Revan »

If you have similar thinking, tastes then it should work out well. In worst case though, the two halves of your campaign will have an entirely different style and approach. Still, good luck! ;)
Btw, does the story have a connection to the uprising sc novel? (I haven't read that.)
Last edited by Revan on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature can be found here.
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Revan wrote: If you have similar thinking, tastes then it should work out well. In worst case though, the two halves of your campaign will have an entirely different style and approach. Still, good luck! ;)
Btw, does the story have a connection to the uprising sc novel? (I haven't read that.)
No, the name is entirely coincidental.
Tremble before my wrath!
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Okay, I was going to hold off on this update until Friday, but I just realized that I'm going to be gone all day Friday so I'm going to post the update a bit early.

First off, Rakashua and I have decided to make ourselves more like an organization (you know, like Blizzard or NexusCore), and we've decided to call ourselves...drum roll please...

"OMNEX PRODUCTIONS"

That's right, as of now the StarCraft: Uprising campaign and anything else Rakashua and I (and whoever ends up joining us) make will now be under the label of Omnex Productions. BTW, Omnex stands for Omnipotence Exploited, but for the sake of shortening the syllable count it became Omnex.

With that out of the way, here's the update on StarCraft: Uprising. Mission 1 is 85% done, mission 6 is about 30% done, and missions 7 and 8 are 95% done (basically I just need to tidy up a few bugs and insert the dialog...once we record it).  There's a few screenshots of the current briefing of Mission 1, as well as some in-game shots of Missions 6, 7, and 8. In addition, I've included a bit of lore, giving a prologue of what happened prior to the beginning of the campaign, and a short bio of one of the campaign's central characters  (no unit stats as these are not yet final).

Without further ado...

Omnex Productions proudly presents: StarCraft: Uprising

It is two years after the events of Brood War. Kerrigan has been waging war against the Protoss, and recently succeeded in killing Artanis.

For the most part, she left Arcturus Mengsk alone, and he was able to rebuild his shattered Dominion. To pay for his new armies, Mengsk levied heavy taxes upon the colonies. When Braxis was unable to pay the tax, Arcturus had the planet's capital city utterly demolished.

This left the other worlds in a state of panic. If Arcturus was willing to do this to one world, what was stopping him from doing it to another? With this in mind, three planets rebelled against the Dominion and formed the United Terran Forces.

At first, the UTF found success, liberating two planets from Dominion control. The Dominion struck back, however, and regained those planets. In addition, they also seized control of one of the UTF's core planets, Dylaria.

What remained of the UTF began to plot a counter-strike to the Dominion offensive. But no one could have known of the events that would soon unfold...

Character Bio: SIMON CASTRELL
Race: Terran
Affiliation: UTF

Castrell was born on Tarsonis, the son of a lowly marine and a stripper. He rose above his low station and entered the Confederate Officer's Academy at 21. Four years later, just after he graduated, the Dominion overthrew the Confederacy and tried to press Castrell into their army. Castrell fled to Carmile and formed a small rebel group call the Restorers. His brilliant leadership skills led the Restorers to win several victories against the Dominion. When Carmile, Tarsonis, and Dylaria formed the United Terran Forces, Castrell and his Restorers joined them and became quickly known as one of the vanguard forces of the UTF. It was Castrell who captured Alaris Prime from the Dominion. Unfortunately, the Dominion was able to overwhelm Castrell's forces and retake Alaris Prime. Afterwards, Castrell was assigned to the task of capturing Kel-Moria from the Dominion.

That's all for now. This is Saint_Kerrigan, signing off for Omnex Productions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tremble before my wrath!
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Please, I'd appreciate some feedback.
Tremble before my wrath!
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Uhm, shiney? :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Revan

Post by Revan »

Screenshots don't tell much...on the other hand a demo map from you would show us almost everything. I can't write feedback for these pictures :-\
Signature can be found here.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

You can only tell so much from screenshots, for real, useful advice, you're going to have to release a mission.  From what I can see in your screenshots:

First up, the terrain in your screenshots looks alittle plain, especially the Ashworld ones.  You might want to try and spice it up alittle bit (different terrain types, doodads, etc.).

Regarding text formating in-game: Go and read this tutorial about it.  It really does make a huge difference.
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I'd love to put up a demo mission, but all the early ones are being done by Rakashua, so I can't do anything until he gets them done. Alternatively I have older versions of the first four missions which look ugly, but carry the basic plot. If you need something right away, I could upload one of those.

...or you could wait for a more polished product.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tremble before my wrath!
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

UPDATE

Been a busy week, and Rakashua and I haven't been able to work as much on the missions. I'm currently working on Mission #9, an indoor mission. I'd give you a demo of 7 and 8, but then I'd be giving away some critical parts of the storyline. Once Rakashua gets the first map done I'll upload it for you playing pleasure.

I do have another character bio for you, however, and I'll also upload a sample of one of the songs ("Move Out" StarCraft: Uprising remix) that will be used in Uprising. No screenshots this time around, since they're of no real use anyway.

Here's the bio:

Character Bio: PHOENICIA SANDERS
Race: Terran
Affiliation: UTF

Born on the oceanic world of Alaris Prime, Sanders' psionic affinity wasn't discovered until, at age seven, she accidentally killed her parents with a psionic burst during a temper tantrum. The shock of what she'd done nearly drove her insane. Only through the use of an experimental amnesia treatment was the Confederacy able to make her usable as a ghost. Although not the brightest ghost, she was able to make good tactical decisions and take out targets silently and swiftly.
She participated in her first combat mission at age 17, and her mission was to eliminate the leader of a rebellion on Dylaria. She performed so well that afterwards Sanders regularly received black ops missions. When the Confederacy fell to the Dominion, Sanders fled to Dylaria and helped instigate a rebellion there. When the UTF was formed, she joined their Black Ops Division. Immediately she was assigned to infiltrate the Dominion and discover what information she could. Currently, only the highest chain of command in the UTF even know she exists.

Well, that's it for now. For Omnex Productions, this is Saint_Kerrigan, signing off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tremble before my wrath!
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Terrain needs more doodads and variety.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator