ODYSSEY CAMPAIGN: (1) The Treasure of CSS Reliant

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: The Treasure of CSS Reliant (mission01-03 prelim online)

Post by Lavarinth »

CONTESTANT IS APPROVED- SUFFICIENT UPDATES.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Jadefang

Screenshots of Mission 4

Post by Jadefang »

Here comes a small update. I have been working a lot on the audio, trying to find a convenient way how to integrate custom unit sounds into the gameplay (did not really understand the whole MPQ thing yet).

In the mean time, I have worked on mission 04, and would like to present some screens from the intro sequence.
Mission 04 will lead the team of Captain Broeque into the polar region of Tarsonis, where a secret base of aliens is suspected (the name "Protoss" is not yet known to the Quest Force fleet). In this mission, a new hero unit has its inaugural appearence: Lt. Cmdr. Gottfried von Hagen, a tank corps guy, German origin (you never would have  guessed  ;)). His tank, a soviet T559 that he acquired somehow illegally despite a 300 year old trade embargo, has a cloaking device, and lots of firepower.

Screen 00:
Von Hagen has landed first and has orders to scout the area. He cloaked his tank and is preparing an ambush for an alien patrol striving though a small forrest.

Screen 01:
He opens fire...

Screen 02:
...and takes out the aliens one by one.

Screen 04:
This cleared the way for Captain Broeque and his officers to be beamed down to the surface safely.

Screen 05:
Once landed, Lt. Jeanne De Caunes complains about the cold. She and Sgt. Benoit have different views on how to make one feel warmer, and at that moment she realizes the presence of someone else watching them (von Hagen is still cloaked).

Screen 07:
Feeling a little too discovered, von Hagen decloakes his tank.

Screen 08:
Captain Broeque, as always, finally moves ahead with the mission.  :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jadefang on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: The Treasure of CSS Reliant (new screenshots, mission04)

Post by Revan »

Integrating custom sounds is pretty simple, didn't take that much for me, so yeah. Probably everyone here know how to do it, you could PM them, or even me. Or there might be a tutorial here for that, or on maplantis.org, its your choice.
Last edited by Revan on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature can be found here.
Jadefang

Re: The Treasure of CSS Reliant (new screenshots, mission04)

Post by Jadefang »

@ Revan: Thank you, I have looked through the CC website once more and tried and errored with the WinMPQ prog, finally I got it (I think). Now that I have put so much effort into custom unit voices, it would be sad to leave them out.

UPDATE:
I have finished mission 06, and am working on mission 05.
I will add on a few more screens from Mission 06 briefing, and Mission 05 production. Mission 07, mission 08 are nearly made, both only need some fine tuning. I estimate early March as release date for the final campaign. Producing more custom voices will probably take the most effort, but it is work in progress.

MISSION 05:
After the battle at New Chickamauga in the polar region, Captain Broeque and his team lost all contact with the Quest Force in Space. They fear  that they might have been destroyed by the alien fleets, but there is no way to tell. Then suddenly, they receive a distress call from  the Soviet Fleet fleet carrier "Alexei Leonov II". The call comes from Major Illianova, who overthrows her orders not to call for help. The Soviet ship has been cloaked in orbit, observing the Quest Fleet, but now is threatened to be infested and eventually destroyed by the Zerg. Captain Broeque vows to come to the Russians aid, but can 500 years of unremitting hostilities between East and the West been overcome?

MISSION 06:
Captain Broeque's team starts this mission in Soviet MIG 9929 space gliders they obtained from the carrier Alexei Leonov. The have their difficutlies with the russian console in the MIG gliders, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jadefang

Re: The Treasure of CSS Reliant (new missions for download 03, 04, and 06)

Post by Jadefang »

UPDATE:
Still working on mission 07 and 08, which is time consuming in terms of triggers, and some boss fights.
Mission 08 has numerous tactical challanges very different in style from classical (and custom) starcraft maps.
Mission 05 is still far from ready, I will work on it last.
Mission 09 (credits) is half way done.
Custom voices reamains a challange. As of now I am not sure how this works out eventually.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: The Treasure of CSS Reliant

Post by Lavarinth »

UPDATES APPROVED - UPDATE BY MARCH 3RD REQUESTED, NOT REQUIRED
- - Lavarinth
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Update
I have worked a lot on the tigger heave maps, especially the second installation map, which is the largest of all. Amazing how much time can pass until everything looks like it should. There are still 2 medium sized maps left half way done, plus some very mild modding and a credits map.

Audio production is coming along, but I am still far from ready. The best part I can most proudly announce is that the Real Life Captain Broeque (as well as RL Captain Elendil) from the old multiplayer games 9 years ago joined audio prodution and offered their voices for their characters, plus they brought along their girlfriends, too. I am very happy about that.

Overall the project is coming along, although the deadline is now pretty close.

Good luck to everybody else, can't wait to see your final contributions...

J

PS: Does anybody know how to best imitate protoss noise when making audio? I only have 2-3 sentences of protoss talk, my method is to chug-a-lug three glasses of Fernet Branca mixed with kerosin, but I am sure there is an easier way. Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Protoss noise? Obviously everything is in the voice, but the effects themselves.. If you want a quick one it's typically reverse audio, mess with echo, reverse to normal, and echo again.
- - Lavarinth
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Lavarinth wrote: Protoss noise? Obviously everything is in the voice, but the effects themselves.. If you want a quick one it's typically reverse audio, mess with echo, reverse to normal, and echo again.
Thanks, I will try that  :)
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Last Update:
There are three remaining issues:
1.) Voice acting is complete except one actor (Jeanne De Caunes), I hope the files can still come in over the weekend, but I am not sure. I will if necessary upload with one role left blank.
2.) All missions but Mission 05 are complete, however, fine tuning is still in process. When do you stop finding details that could be better and stop fiddeling around? I am not certain whether I might have to post only an abbreviated version of Mission 05 as the originally intended might be to much of work left to make it til deadline. Will see how the weekend goes.
3.) I have to try and error with the modding over the weekend, ideally I will post with a light mod, but I am not certain if I succeed on that. If not, I will post with slightly modified maps to make up for it (i.e. extra protoss observer unit instead of unit detection ability, etc). 

Overall this has been a humongous project, taking hours and hours of time. You all will know this yourself from your own projects :) It was definetly fun producing, and I am dying to see your feedback and comments on it. I want to thank all of you for your feedback during the production and the beta testing. I will now be off-line for out of town travel this weekend, upload will occur on Monday around 23:59 central time.  ;D

Looking forward to your contributions, too,
Jadefang
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

wow, I just read some of the critiques, I guess I could have used someone like Ricky as beta-tester, not as headsman to be.
Anyway, I want to announce that I will take full advantage of the time to finish, meaning 1159 PM Pacific time, that is 0159 central time.

I gotta play one more time though my maps.
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

Jadefang wrote: Anyway, I want to announce that I will take full advantage of the time to finish, meaning 1159 PM Pacific time, that is 0159 central time.
You mean today? Contest deadline was today.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

In the pacific time zone it is still 1019 PM.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Great dedication. ;D
- - Lavarinth
Jadefang

ODYSSEY CAMPAIGN online.

Post by Jadefang »

Dear CC community. Touchdown.