Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

Post by Revan »

Hello everyone. I would like to enter the competition with my little campaign. It will be mostly centered around the Protoss. As I don't have much experience with map-making or even modding the maps will be made with scmdraft only. Of course, this might change. It might not be as revolutionary as the other projects but I hope I can make it enjoyable.

Story: Ahman-ro, a small planet inhabited by Protoss tribes. The Protoss habitants were living in peace, separated from other planets, not being in contact with them. They didn't know about the death of the Overmind or even about the existence of the Terrans. But one day all of this has changed. Terran warships have appeared and started to invade the planet. They didn't care about the innocent Protoss
they mercilessly killed anyone who opposed them. But they have forgotten about one thing. They didn't expect any Zerg presence on the planet. But there was one brave hydralisk who couldn't stand any of this and rised up again the invaders. As this hydralisk it will be your job to save your planet and your Protoss friends from the Terran armies.

It might sound a bit strange but don't worry, it will make sense.

Features:

-A 12 map long storyline, set 3 years after the brood War.
-Various maps, consisting of normal "destroy every enemy bases", "kill all enemy groups with your little team", defense and even movie maps.
-Interesting characters, from all three races.
-Funny mission briefings.

I never intended my campaign to be serious, expect funny conversations from the main characters. Originally I wanted to make a parody campaign, similar to the Bob levels. It didn't end up like that, though.

EDIT:

Download the latest version here:

http://files.filefront.com/HydraCampaign102rar/;11000592;/fileinfo.html
Last edited by Revan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature can be found here.
Revan

Re: Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

Post by Revan »

Oh well, it seems my project doesn't look as interesting as the other projects. Doesn't matter, here is my update with some screenshots.

Currently working on the sixth map but that doesn't mean that I'm done with the 2/3 of the project. I'm not fully pleased with the previous maps, so there is still lots of work to do. I might make some unit sounds for this if I have the time. Of course it won't reach the level of legion's work but I will try my best. ;)

Now some screenshots:

In the beginning you just simply have to accept that there is Igzil, your hydralisk who is simply a friend of the protoss. Answers will be given in the later levels. Oh, by the way, yes Igzil, there will be some huge problems you can't even imagine.

Evil yellow insects or a big bad beast? Who will eat you? Burrow down if you can.

Protoss warrior training. Newbie zealots and templars and one weak hero against 3 ultralisks. Not even one of your units can die or it's mission over. And this is just the beginning. Not good.

Of course you will be able to control some good terrans as well. The evil ones can just die.

Protect the base at all cost!

Now some of the characters.

Igzil
The protagonist. An elite hunter killer who really likes hunting for beasts in the nearby jungles. Her passion is to collect the skulls of the killed enemies. Has no problem with speaking telepathically with any protoss, or later with terrans. She is a battle freak to a moderate extent. After the invaders raize her village she starts to walk the path of vengeance until she can personally execute the man who is responsible for all of this.

Rukh'na
Young protoss zealot, the second hero of the story. Not just a friend of Igzil, they look at each other as siblings. An ambitious character who is afraid of jungle beasts (especially the ultralisk clones) which is quite understandable[..]. But when he is forced to see the destruction of his village he swores to protect his brethren from anyone.

Utena (name will probably change)
Terran assassin. Very skilled in her job, she is pretty much a fully trained Ghost minus the telepathic abilities. Her job is to eliminate the leader of the invader army, so basicly she has a common enemy with Igzil but cooperaton won't be easy as both of them look at the other as an abomination.

Update over. More will come later.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

A friendly zerg allied with protoss. :) Now I've seen everything. ;) G'luck.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

O cool colored text for heroes! I love little touches to campaigns like that!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Revan

Post by Revan »

Weekly update: Everything is going fine. Using my new ideas, I'm currently trying to make the first maps longer because they can be finished in about 20 minutes. After that, I'm going to start working on the seventh map, which will be an intallation. It will be a bit harder to make the terrain. :(

Now my problem. I have checked the triggers but I can't figure it out. How can I create a probe which is holding a crysalis? Or to order it to pick it up, as it will be the computer's unit? Thanks in advance.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Harvesters will automatically pick up power-ups.  Just spawn the the crysalis near or in the same location as the probe, and it should do everything on its own.

Campaign's looking good so far!  Good luck!
Last edited by Thalraxal on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Thanks! It worked as it should. :)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

CONTESTANT IS APPROVED- SUFFICIENT UPDATES.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Revan

Post by Revan »

Weekly Update:

I haven't had much time this week to continue the campaign editing, but I think I can get it done by the middle of February. Here is a short description about each map, and how much work is needed.

Map 1: half rpg, half movie map, meaning that you will have 2 heroes and you will have some enemy groups to take care of, but you will also have "some" screens to watch and they won't be short. Status: 95%.
Map 2: a simple rpg map, in the first half it's all about brute force, after that you can move onto the stealth. Status: 95%
Map 3: the same as map 1. Status: 95%
Map 4: a challenging defense map, won't take long to finish. Status: 70%
Map 5: destroy all enemy bases...enough said. Status: 100%
Map 6: the same as map 1. Status: 80%.
Map 7: classic installation map, with a nice boss battle at the end. Status: 20%
Map 8: micro map in space first, then you will have a base to destroy any resistance. Status: 50%.
Map 9a: movie map, I'm planning to make dozens of triggers to make it as cool as possible, as it will end be the ending for the campaign. Status 20%.
Map 9b: the same as 9a, but it will have an entirely different ending, based on your decision in map 8. Status 20%.
Map 9c: and a third ending, if two is not enough. Status: 20%.
Map 10: credits. Status: 20%.

Note that when I say rpg, it's not a real rpg. You will have your group and you will have to kill the enemy groups using your skills and the terrain. Most of the time none of your units can die or it's mission over. Of course you will have some upgrades and the ability to restore hp, even for the protoss.

Last note: I have downloaded and tried out the Vision of the Future campaign and I must say Xaax is a cool defiler. I will use a similar defiler as the narrator as it's one of my favourite units, although he won't be as cool, in fact he will be some sort of parody.
Last edited by Revan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revan

Post by Revan »

What should I show for today? Let's try something new. Here is the first map. I hope you will enjoy it. It's just for show,  I might work on it more, if I get a new idea. Note that it's one of the shorter maps. If you find the briefing a bit weird...well, please forgive me, I just wanted to make something unique. ;)

I still don't know a good campaign title...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Hey, good briefing! Loved it!

One thing, though. In-game dialogue is invisible. :s

Must be something to do with the text coloring -- it sometimes does this.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Now that's strange. :o I used scmdraft 2, and I typed the color codes into each line. For example:

Igzil:

And it worked perfectly with my sc game. Although I prefer the teal color, I can delete the color codes if it's required. Any suggestions?

Btw thanks.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Revan wrote: I still don't know a good campaign title...
Same here, but "The Battle for Ahman-ro" is still a much better title then "ACMD0".

Just finished playing the map, I didn't have any problems seeing the in-game text.  A few unchecked 'Display Always' boxes, maybe?

Fun so far!  Loved the mission briefing, especially with Legion's Dark Swarm Beta still fresh in my mind.  Can't wait to see more!

Didn't encounter any major bugs.  Just afew things:

After getting killed by an Exploding Beast and restarting because I forgot to save, I encountered a weird bug.  While dropping off the skulls at Igzil's home, Igzil didn't enter her house, and stood around while the Reaver crashed into the Pylon.  A second Igzil appeared, and then both of them disappeared (setting off the 'enter house' trigger), leaving me Igzilless and unable to continue.  Restarting a third time, I had no problems.  I think this was one of those 'once in a million' bugs, so it's probably nothing major to worry about.

I got the "Look at all these plants!  The Uraj must be near!" comment after I got the Uraj.  I was staying pretty close to the eastern cliff whenever I approached the Uraj's location, which might be why I missed the trigger on the way there.
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

The War for Peace?

That just came to mind when I re-read your story.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Revan

Post by Revan »

Thanks, it was good to read these comments. I will keep those mission briefings in the same style then. ;D

@Thalraxal:

I fixed those bugs. That reaver scene isn't just about transmissions, so it was bound to happen. In fact, it can't even be skipped as hitting esc will also fuck it up. The bug chance now is closer to zero.

@Marine 382BB:

Hmm, that title sounds very heroic, it might even fit for my campaign.