Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

Post by Revan »

Thank you for the help, I know what to do now. I won't bother you again, in my next post there will be nothing more, just the link for the uploaded files.

Yes, I'm Hungarian.
Signature can be found here.
Revan

The Road To Ruin (completed)

Post by Revan »

Well, here it is. I hope that you will like it. I couldn't come up with a better title, but that should be good enough. I went through the maps, and all of them seem to be playable. There is definitely room for improvement so I will try to make an updated, 1.1 version in the near future.
But until then, enjoy! ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?kmmye0ujx5r

EDIT: I'm adding a secondary link as well because Mediafire is not that reliable.

http://files.filefront.com/HydraCampaignrar/;9882162;/fileinfo.html

And as it seems, I have managed to upload the wrong version of the 8th map.  :-[ Please use this one instead, it should be less buggy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Revan on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Thalraxal wrote: After getting killed by an Exploding Beast and restarting because I forgot to save, I encountered a weird bug.  While dropping off the skulls at Igzil's home, Igzil didn't enter her house, and stood around while the Reaver crashed into the Pylon.  A second Igzil appeared, and then both of them disappeared (setting off the 'enter house' trigger), leaving me Igzilless and unable to continue.  Restarting a third time, I had no problems.  I think this was one of those 'once in a million' bugs, so it's probably nothing major to worry about.
Revan wrote: @Thalraxal:

I fixed those bugs. That reaver scene isn't just about transmissions, so it was bound to happen. In fact, it can't even be skipped as hitting esc will also fuck it up. The bug chance now is closer to zero.
Had this issue occur, but no big deal. Although getting past the "Exploding Beasts" was in fact A LOT of kill one - save - kill one - save - kill one - save clicking. Anywho, will continue with it later tonight.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Revan

Post by Revan »

Had this issue occur, but no big deal. Although getting past the "Exploding Beasts" was in fact A LOT of kill one - save - kill one - save - kill one - save clicking. Anywho, will continue with it later tonight.
Flaw in the gameplay design...I'm not surprised. You will probably not like the 2nd and 3rd map in that case. I recommend everyone who wants to try those to save after every 5-6 enemy group, just in case.

Fixing these flaws are not that hard, but I won't have time to do any serious work until the weekend.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

It'd be nice if they did enough damage to only remove shields. Although still controversial as Igzil's shield cannot be replenished. Although at least his health regenerates. I'm not quite sure how you had planned to have players kill the Exploding Beasts in time. I often found myself sending in Igzil by himself as melee would mean instant death. Apparently I realized through all this Hydralisks attack twice, and there appears to be a slight pause if they have to adjust themselves to aim properly at an enemy, thus being the result of a split second death instead of attack. Well, back to project reviews.
- - Lavarinth
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

no official review?
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Went on a reviewing rush on the other ones and taking a semi-break here.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

chris wrote: no official review?
Seriously, chris, YOU might be a minute-man, but others here need to take their time.
- - Lavarinth
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Hi Revan,

I have started playing through the first three missions of your campaign. This is what I think so far:

GENERAL REMARKS:
+The terrain is A++ It is done with a lot of dedication and is just outstanding.
+Custom portraits for the human ghosts
+funny storyline in the briefings and in the missions
-some minor issues in the map design (redundance, triggers, see details below)

MISSION 1:
+terrain, again very beautiful
-allied with home town? In one situation, I was attacked by the beasts/zerglings very near to the town, within firing range of the photon cannon, but it did not fire. I think it would have been more logical for them to join in if attacked so close to your home town.

MISSION 2:
+jokes: excellent humor! The ghost team converstations were priceless.
-Spelling: At some point, Igzil says to Rukh'na: You are welcomed. IMO, it should be you are welcome.
-trigger error: units not removed. Just shortly before I arrived at the new protoss base and the trigger went off, I was attacked by some Zerg who I did not kill and who were following me. They attacked Igzil and Rukh'na, luring them out of the tigger zone. As a consequence, the units were not removed after the cinematic sequence, and available once the ghosts finished off the terran base. See screenshot attachment.
-redundancy: The terran ghost raid was a little exausting, as the further you got, you alsways had to go back to the cruiser to heal. That could take a couple of miniutes of just marching. It would have been nice to have a more convenient solution not disrupting the game flow as much, e.g. a medic or some auto heal at certain points of advancement.

MISSION 3:
+TOP briefing, VERY very funny! When the defiler came over, and the "daddy" made these dry comments, I broke out in laughter for like three minutes or so!!
+again, great story and terrain
-type-O: aopologies
-boss fight against mommoth is super tough, please add warning to save the game just before.

So far, I like it, will continue during this week. Jól megtett!  :)

EDIT: added comments on mission 03.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jadefang on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Thanks Jadefang for the post! That was good to read.

About those bugs:
-allied with home town?  In one situation, I was attacked by the beasts/zerglings very near to the town, within firing range of the photon cannon, but it did not fire. I think it would have been more logical for them to join in if attacked so close to your home town.
Actually, for that, while not realistic, I didn't want the player to use the protoss units controlled by the brown computer. If I remember, the guards do say that there is a problem with the cannons, and so you don't get them and they also don't fire.
-Spelling:  At some point, Igzil says to Rukh'na: You are welcomed. IMO, it should be you are welcome.
-trigger error: units not removed. Just shortly before I arrived at the new protoss base and the trigger went off, I was attacked by some Zerg who I did not kill and who were following me. They attacked Igzil and Rukh'na, luring them out of the tigger zone. As a consequence, the units were not removed after the cinematic sequence, and available once the ghosts finished off the terran base. See screenshot attachment.
Spelling: fixed. Trigger: the nearby beasts will be removed to prevent it from happening. Fixed, in one word.
-redundancy: The terran ghost raid was a little exausting, as the further you got, you alsways had to go back to the cruiser to heal. That could take a couple of miniutes of just marching. It would have been nice to have a more convenient solution not disrupting the game flow as much, e.g. a medic or some auto heal at certain points of advancement.
I placed three healing crystals to lower the amount you have to walk. Those crystals can restore the health and energy, so three of them should be enough.
-type-O: aopologies
Will be fixed, but first I have to find it. :)
-boss fight  against mommoth is super tough, please add warning to save the game just before.
I did.
Jól megtett!
Kösz! (Thanks)

Good luck with the rest! In best case I will upload a fixed campaign tomorrow, everyone who wants try the 6th-7th-8th map are advised to download it. Of course it will include the fixes listed here.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So far, I like the campaign.

Otherwise I am being ungodly slow to play your campaign, ill post the preference/bug list I have currently :

===MAP #1===

- CRITICAL : There should not have 1-kill infested terrans. They should deal 50-80 damage instead of 500.
- Villagers should be invincible since you can kill them otherwise (until the invasion)
- It would be preferable to have Igzil closer to Rukh'na to "rescue" him again after the Torrasque is dead instead of doing it manually + allowing the player to kill an unrescued Rukh'na at a distance without a defeat.

===MAP #2===

- Odd : Seems a bit odd to have a male voice for the templar that is renamed "Protoss Female"
- When Igzil charges at the end of the mission and the game speed is on fastest, she is likely to die thus it is preferable to make the zergling weaker, the invasion slower or anything to prevent Igzil to die if the game speed is on fastest.

===MAP #3===

- When inside the city, you can kill without penalties other than be counterattacked by the attacked unit.
- Would be preferable to have a beacon near Joe to know where to go when you first arrive in the city since it is fairly big and a player can waste a lot of time to find where he must truly go in the end.
- You can kill Joe, should be invulnerable.
- You can kill Joretti Clyne when he is neutral without a defeat. He should be invulnerable until he is with you.
- Upgrade buildings should be invulnerable. In addition, if they are lifted off, they should be destroyed and then recreated at their original location.
- In the area off limits outside, you can kill the marine guards and the triggers still prevents you to go in after that. The marines should be invincible. This applies for both top and bottom off-limit areas.
- Odd : If multiple units of different types got killed at once (ex : from an infested terran), the message "One of your units died." To fix it, it is advised to use a switch as a "flag" along with death conditions to check if the switch was turned on by a previous trigger to ultimately prevent the next trigger to show the message again.
- The boss summons too many if the game speed is slow (especially when you want to slow it down to try to kill the infested Terran in time). Re commanded to limit extra summons based on current quantity of current summons.
- A bit too much use of the word "fuck" and "fucking".
- Utena can't enter the military zone but every other unit can somehow.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: ===MAP #3===
- How on Earth do you get gas, or did I miss that?
- "Mammoth" was amazingly difficult on fast gamespeed, and multiple infested Terrans pretty much meant "game over."
- Damn them Infested Terrans! (You were right, it would get annoying.)

(Yes, this is only pointing out issues, my "reviews" will be later, but no issue wise, but gameplay/story wise.)
- - Lavarinth
Revan

Post by Revan »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: So far, I like the campaign.

Otherwise I am being ungodly slow to play your campaign, ill post the preference/bug list I have currently :

===MAP #1===

- CRITICAL : There should not have 1-kill infested terrans. They should deal 50-80 damage instead of 500. They have been nerfed.
- Villagers should be invincible since you can kill them otherwise (until the invasion) Done.
- It would be preferable to have Igzil closer to Rukh'na to "rescue" him again after the Torrasque is dead instead of doing it manually + allowing the player to kill an unrescued Rukh'na at a distance without a defeat. Done.

===MAP #2===

- Odd : Seems a bit odd to have a male voice for the templar that is renamed "Protoss Female" I didn't have time to include custom unit voices. Until that happens, try to think that they have a bad cold. Oh wait, they speak with telepathy, so that's not a good excuse.
- When Igzil charges at the end of the mission and the game speed is on fastest, she is likely to die thus it is preferable to make the zergling weaker, the invasion slower or anything to prevent Igzil to die if the game speed is on fastest. I made a trigger that will constantly set Igzil's HP to the maximum.

===MAP #3===

- When inside the city, you can kill without penalties other than be counterattacked by the attacked unit. Fixed.
- Would be preferable to have a beacon near Joe to know where to go when you first arrive in the city since it is fairly big and a player can waste a lot of time to find where he must truly go in the end. Done.
- You can kill Joe, should be invulnerable. Done.
- You can kill Joretti Clyne when he is neutral without a defeat. He should be invulnerable until he is with you. Done.
- Upgrade buildings should be invulnerable. In addition, if they are lifted off, they should be destroyed and then recreated at their original location. Done.
- In the area off limits outside, you can kill the marine guards and the triggers still prevents you to go in after that. The marines should be invincible. This applies for both top and bottom off-limit areas. Done.
- Odd : If multiple units of different types got killed at once (ex : from an infested terran), the message "One of your units died." To fix it, it is advised to use a switch as a "flag" along with death conditions to check if the switch was turned on by a previous trigger to ultimately prevent the next trigger to show the message again. Done.
- The boss summons too many if the game speed is slow (especially when you want to slow it down to try to kill the infested Terran in time). Re commanded to limit extra summons based on current quantity of current summons. Done...I don't know yet if it's good enough.
- A bit too much use of the word "fuck" and "fucking". Don't worry, you will hear it only two times more, in the last map, if I'm right.
- Utena can't enter the military zone but every other unit can somehow. Fixed.
Well, thank you for that list. I didn't even think about that the players would try to ruin their game. I will remember this if I make new maps in the future.
- How on Earth do you get gas, or did I miss that?
- "Mammoth" was amazingly difficult on fast gamespeed, and multiple infested Terrans pretty much meant "game over."
- Damn them Infested Terrans! (You were right, it would get annoying.)
You get gas when you kill an Ultralisk (the mammoth is a Torrasque). There are two of them on the map, and the first one can be skipped easily. Maybe I misstyped something in the trigger, but you should have met the second one just before the data disc and received 1 gas. The boss battle is much easier with Stim Packs. :(
I changed the location of the first Ultralisk, so the player won't miss that precious gas. I will also lower the summoned unit amount.
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Review continued...

Mission 04:
-CRITICAL: despite defending buildings of the Protoss base valiantly, even under invincibility cheat, a defeat trigger is activated saying that you failed to defend the protoss base.

Mission 05:
-CRITICAL: There is a trigger in the map settings, that says defeat if RED looses all buildings. However, red is an enemy, therefore the trigger went off before I could finish the mission.
-MINOR: In the opening conversation, they mention 5 enemy bases, however there are only three opponents, with more than five bases (if they expand to other mining sites, too).
+Tactical Desgin of the map, as always, beautiful. I especially liked the configuration of the red base, it was a little tricky to find a good landing site for a base drop.

looking forward to M06/07 later :)
Revan

Post by Revan »

Jadefang wrote: Review continued...

Mission 04:
-CRITICAL: despite defending buildings of the Protoss base valiantly, even under invincibility cheat, a defeat trigger is activated saying that you failed to defend the protoss base. Damn. I fixed it...I just had to replace "Player 1 commands..." to "Force 1 commands" in one trigger.

Mission 05:
-CRITICAL: There is a trigger in the map settings, that says defeat if RED looses all buildings. However, red is an enemy, therefore the trigger went off before I could finish the mission. I fixed it. I would like to say that though, just for your information, that another trigger caused the bug, not the one you mentioned. Actually the Defeat action can be used for computer players. In the 5th map if you destroy all of the Command Centers for one of the enemy then that enemy will be defeated, meaning that its units become neutral, not attacking back.
-MINOR: In the opening conversation, they mention 5 enemy bases, however there are only three opponents, with more than five bases (if they expand to other mining sites, too). True, fixed.
+Tactical Desgin of the map, as always, beautiful. I especially liked the configuration of the red base, it was a little tricky to find a good landing site for a base drop.  ;)

looking forward to M06/07 later :)
Well, thank you again. I did not think that those triggers would be bugged. That bug never happened for me in the 4th map. My apologies, if you want to watch the ending scene in the 5th map, then you should use cheats to kill the command centers, or just make a trigger that kills those CCs for Force 2 after the heroes finished their chat. Always worked for me when I wanted to test the last scene. If you don't want to play through it again, that is.

Anyway, here it is, a fixed version. I don't say that they are perfectly bug-free, but here they are. Good luck with this 1.01 version.
http://files.filefront.com/HydraCampaign101rar/;10379722;/fileinfo.html
Last edited by Revan on Wed May 28, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.