Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Jadefang

Re: Battle of Ahman-ro(working title)

Post by Jadefang »

Hi Revan,

I have played your campaign through last night. Here are my remaining comments:

Mission 06:
+tutorial style idea: This worked out really well reflecting Rukh'na's training as a warrior. The subsequent battle stays in line with that principle due to the "aeon of strive" mode.
+balance: with these non-straightforward mining&baseraiding missions, balance is very delicate to handle, which worked out great.
-minor logic issue: Once his mother has been slayed, Rukh'na becomes all to soon forgiving to Nydun. In the end, he is responsible for his mothers death. I would have expected some more hostility, at least banishment from the village. It was kind of hard to see him welcoming Nydun a little too much.
-spelling: I saw another "you are welcomed", but that may have been in another mission.

Mission 07:
+level design and difficulty: well balanced difficulty, good design, interesting to play.
+story: great ideas
=difficult riddle: I did not solve how to get past the explosion-barrier. In order to play on, I had to create a private entrance to the other side of the barrier (see attachment). This is not a critique point, rather a request for a walkthrough :)
Limitation: I did not play through the whole mission yet because I made the private entrance modification at the end.

Mission 08:
+Very good ideas. I loved the sub-mission concept, it was fun to play.
-difficulty Utena's mission: It would have been helpful to give "lockdown" to Utena's comrades, too. This way, you have to wait until her energy is recovered before you can proceed.
-diffculty Igzil's mission: Her part was too difficult IMO. The problem was the time. Only under invincibility cheat, ingnoring incoming fire from some of the troops just rushing by, I was just able to reach the objective and had like 15-20 seconds left. I think an extra minute would be really helpful.
-remove unused units: After the submissions were done, and the aeon of strive setup started, I was considerably confused by alarms that troops are under attack, etc. because these forces commanded during Igzil's and Rukh'na's raid were still on the map. I think it would be easier to just remove them as well as their beacons from the map once their plots are over.
boss fight idea: great idea and setup for a boss fight
-boss fight implementation: I was never attacked by the boss until his invincibility was removed. That ment I could in all ease raze the power generators, without being under fire from him. Only once I could open fire, he responded.
Overall a great mission, loved it!!

Mission 09a/b:
+story: top, both endings!
+cinematic sequence: very good implementation of the cinematic sequence!! Especially the minor differences between either ending, i.e. mind control vs destruction of enemies.
+boss fight: very nice
How do you get to the third alternative ending??

Mission 10:
+story
+cinematic sequences

Overall summary:
I really had a good time playing this campaign, very much enjoyed it. I would say the overall strenght is the story, the humor in the briefings, and the dedication to the terrain. Drawbacks are two critical errors that prevent(ed) mission completion, and a few minor issues outlined for each mission. Nevertheless, it was a very good campaign, and I think good contribution for the remaining year pre-SC2.  Thanks for making all this effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jadefang on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by Revan »

Jadefang wrote: Hi Revan,

I have played your campaign through last night. Here are my remaining comments:

Mission 06:
+tutorial style idea: This worked out really well reflecting Rukh'na's training as a warrior. The subsequent battle stays in line with that principle due to the "aeon of strive" mode.
+balance: with these non-straightforward mining&baseraiding missions, balance is very delicate to handle, which worked out great.
-minor logic issue: Once his mother has been slayed, Rukh'na becomes all to soon forgiving to Nydun. In the end, he is responsible for his mothers death. I would have expected some more hostility, at least banishment from the village. It was kind of hard to see him welcoming Nydun a little too much.Let me explain this. In that mission the tribe was trying to get rid of those jungle beasts because they have been causing trouble for a long time. It just happened that Nydun, an assassin from another planet, has arrived at the same time. Rukh'na was in a chaotic state after that scene and so he thought that Nydun was responsible for this, just because he arrived at that time. But after that he has been convinced that these two things have nothing in common. I'm sorry if this wasn't understandable.
-spelling: I saw another "you are welcomed", but that may have been in another mission.I always thought it was written that way.  :( Gonna fix that.

Mission 07:
+level design and difficulty: well balanced difficulty, good design, interesting to play.
+story: great ideas
=difficult riddle: I did not solve how to get past the explosion-barrier. In order to play on, I had to create a private entrance to the other side of the barrier (see attachment). This is not a critique point, rather a request for a walkthrough :) I just wanted to put in a small bound game. I thought it would be simple. I will explain it. There are 4 exploding lines. To get through the first to the second (and through the third to the fourth) you just have to move Igzil through an exploding spot just after an explosion happens. It may be hard to determine whether you are in the good place,. Then there is the second and fourth line. An explosion simply goes from left to the right and repeats it. It should be easy to avoid it. If it's really hard then I can just remove it, though.
Limitation: I did not play through the whole mission yet because I made the private entrance modification at the end.Although you haven't missed anything that is important in the story, there is a nice fight there. Good luck with that. ;)

Mission 08:
+Very good ideas. I loved the sub-mission concept, it was fun to play. Well, thank you, although I admit that I just wanted to make the testing as easy as possible. Are there bugs in the aeon of strife mini-game? Then I just have to give the three beacons to the red player and the map immediatily starts with that.
-difficulty Utena's mission: It would have been helpful to give "lockdown" to Utena's comrades, too. This way, you have to wait until her energy is recovered before you can proceed. I wanted the player to preserve the given energy. I can change this, of course, if it's required.
-diffculty Igzil's mission: Her part was too difficult IMO. The problem was the time. Only under invincibility cheat, ingnoring incoming fire from some of the troops just rushing by, I was just able to reach the objective and had like 15-20 seconds left. I think an extra minute would be really helpful. Okay, I will change that. You are supposed to rush through, that's why I gave so little time. An extra 30-45 seconds should make it easier.
-remove unused units: After the submissions were done, and the aeon of strive setup started, I was considerably confused by alarms that troops are under attack, etc. because these forces commanded during Igzil's and Rukh'na's raid were still on the map. I think it would be easier to just remove them as well as their beacons from the map once their plots are over. They should have been removed. I will fix this bug.
boss fight idea: great idea and setup for a boss fight
-boss fight implementation: I was never attacked by the boss until his invincibility was removed. That ment I could in all ease raze the power generators, without being under fire from him. Only once I could open fire, he responded. Your units also receive invincibility during that specific time. Originally only the boss received invincibility and that made the fight very hard. I will try to come up with something.
Overall a great mission, loved it!!

Mission 09a/b:
+story: top, both endings!
+cinematic sequence: very good implementation of the cinematic sequence!! Especially the minor differences between either ending, i.e. mind control vs destruction of enemies.
+boss fight: very nice
How do you get to the third alternative ending?? When you are supposed to go to the beacon in the end of the 8th map there is actually another way where you can go, in the 1.01 version, that is. But to avoid this hassle just search for the map named Page 09 C and start it. It's just a cinematic map.

Mission 10:
+story
+cinematic sequences

Overall summary:
I really had a good time playing this campaign, very much enjoyed it. I would say the overall strenght is the story, the humor in the briefings, and the dedication to the terrain. Drawbacks are two critical errors that prevent(ed) mission completion, and a few minor issues outlined for each mission. Nevertheless, it was a very good campaign, and I think good contribution for the remaining year pre-SC2.  Thanks for making all this effort.
Thank you! I am happy to hear these nice words about the last maps and about the whole campaign. After I can get my hands on the Scumedit I will definitely make a sequel, with a better design. I was a bit worried that this kind of campaign would be looked down, but thank you again.
I will fix these bugs in the near future then.
Signature can be found here.
Revan

Update

Post by Revan »

UPDATE

I just wanted to notify you that I have uploaded a new version of my campaign. I wanted to make bigger improvements, but it's not likely to happen. I was about to include two new maps, but after thinking it throughly I deleted them, as they didn't meet the quality level of the other maps and they were unnecessary for the story.  In this new version I have removed the stupid and distracting dialogues, edited unit names, fixed minor bugs, so the campaign should look better.

It is, of course, recommended to get the new version if you are playing/want to play it and have the 1.01.

Download the 1.02 version here:

http://files.filefront.com/HydraCampaign102rar/;11000592;/fileinfo.html

It is possible that I will start start working on the 1.03 version, but for a while I will focus on making a Warcraft 3 campaign. That will take some time, as this is my first time using the World Editor, although even if it's 100 times more advanced than Staredit/Scmdraft2, it is not that difficult. I will make a thread about it when I have something to show.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

This party seems to have died.
Revan

Post by Revan »

The Real Legion wrote: This party seems to have died.
This part? Let's just delete this whole subforum.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The Real Legion wrote: This party seems to have died.
What? Anywho.. I'll be announcing the next project soon, and the funds to ship out the remaining prizes will be arriving this week.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Nekrocow
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Nekrocow »

Where can I download the campaign :O?

I've installed once again StarCraft and Brood War and wanted to play some campaigns I couldn't play before, yet I can't find this one.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

Hey yeah, gonna back up Nekrocow on this - anybody have working links for at least most of the campaigns for this contest? Thanks a bunch. :]
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

My attachments in the ACMD0 thread should still be working, otherwise I can reupload them again. I've got a copy of The Battle of Ahman-ro, and since Revan seems to have dropped off the face of the Internet, I don't feel guilty about repost it. This isn't the original .zip file Revan posted, I unzipped it so I could recompress it to under 10mb so I could upload it as an attachment. It is otherwise identical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Church

Post by Church »

Thanks a bunch!
There seems to be a bit of a problem, though. The readme for Ahman-ro mentions a "Hydra.mpq" file, but it's not in the zip. Still got that laying around, and if not, is it required?
Edit: Also, has anybody got Legacy of a Warrior? That one really caught my eye.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

All I have is the map pack. Apparently, Pastraxal had an early (maybe final?) version of it, but I seem to have misplaced it in the intervening years. The Readme says that it's entirely optional though, and mostly cosmetic, so its still playable.

EDIT: I think I've got a copy of Legacy of a Warrior. Gimmie a sec and I'll see if I can dig it up. If I am successful, I'll repost it in the corresponding thread.
Church

Post by Church »

Thanks for all this, Thalraxal! You're great. If you ever need a hand with anything, feel free to drop me a PM, I'm usually on every day. I'm enjoying ACMD0 a lot so far, by the way. It's always nice to play some new (old?) campaigns. C:
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm personally having issues locating these on my drives, but am investigating as well.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

I think I've got Jadefang's Treasure of the CSS Reliant and Gemini's Bootcamp, but Pastraxal dropped them all into the /campaign folder and its a bit of a mess in there. I'll see if I can get them sorted out sometime tomorrow.
Jim_Raynor wrote:Thanks for all this, Thalraxal! You're great. If you ever need a hand with anything, feel free to drop me a PM, I'm usually on every day. I'm enjoying ACMD0 a lot so far, by the way. It's always nice to play some new (old?) campaigns. C:
Thanks, Jim!
Church

Post by Church »

If anyone needs it actually you can get Bootcamp on the Life of a Marine download page. I don't know if that version is any different than what he released from the contest, though.